• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from El Acebo / Riego de Ambros to Molinaseca

mgnswaus

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - SJPdP 2019, Frances/Portuguese 22, 23, 24
Does anyone happen to know whether there is usually a taxi waiting in either of these places to take pilgrims to Molinaseca? I have to be in Ponferrada early afternoon and will not have time to walk the whole way from Foncebadon.
Thank you for any advice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You bet! Tell the folks at whatever place you stay in El Acebo (or Rabanal, for that matter) to call "Taxi Luis". He'll drop you off at the entrance to the famous bridge into Molinaseca. His cab is clean. He's pleasant. He's a safe driver. ... Last September I and another hurt-foot-peregrino used him, and were perfectly satisfied. He charged us Euros 20, if I remember correctly. Worth every cent.

Last edited:
I was given a card for a taxi when I left Rabanal - thinking to myself - a taxi?? ME?? I doubt it! But I kept it, and at Acebo, everything was full or closed (last Oct) and I was hot and tired. So made use of that card. Félix (681-200-466) lives in Molinaseca, but said it would be 15 minutes wait for me...and it was! One could call in advance. He even called a place for me in Molinaseca since I didn't have a rez, and dropped me there. Cost was either Euro 15 or 20 -- and, indeed, worth every cent! He accepted my credit card.
Delighted to hear there's a taxi in Acebo!! Next time... ;-)
Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looking for an ATM in Molinaseca?

Walking into Molinaseca early on a frosty Sunday morning I met another pilgrim who was worried since she had run out of funds. Upon arrival in town all appeared closed as we searched high and low for either an ATM or for someone to ask; nada.

Luckily one pharmacy was open 7/7 and the multi lingual pharmacist directed us to the village ATM hidden on the elementary school facade!

I wonder if it still is there in 2022?

Last edited:
Yes, the walk down from El Acebo is my very favourite day on the Camino Frances, especially if the cistus roses are in bloom, unusual in that these ones have a warm vanilla scent!

Whereas the walk from Molinaseca to Ponferrada is just bleh...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I absolutely loved the beautiful walk from El Acebo to Molinaseca. How about considering a taxi from Molinaseca down to Ponferrada instead?
On the other hand its a stage I dislike. Picking my way down slowly over the rocks (I have some vertigo issues and all the looking down doesn't help). I quite enjoyed the gentle walk to Ponferada.
What we did do last time when we stayed in Acebo with our grandson, was to taxi down and back so he could swim in the beautiful dammed river. The ride back freaked me out as the drop is considerable and after walking for so long the car feels so fast.

Luckily one pharmacy was open 7/7 and the multi lingual pharmacist directed us to the village ATM hidden on the elementary school facade!

Yes, it was there in October 2021, and I think I talked to the very same pharmacist! It's a few blocks off the CF and was tricky to find.

Looking for an ATM in Molinaseca?

Walking into Molinaseca early on a frosty Sunday morning I met another pilgrim who was worried since she had run out of funds. Upon arrival in town all appeared closed as we searched high and low for either an ATM or for someone to ask; nada.

That is why I always put 100 Euros somewhere in the bottom reaches of my pack. I consider it "lost" money. When I need money I go to a cajero and never think of using my "lost" 100E. In fact when I am getting to the final 100E in my money belt I start looking to restock my cash.
On my first camino I learned this lesson almost the hard way. I was down to my last 10E and desperate to find a machine. Who needs the stress!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the other hand its a stage I dislike. Picking my way down slowly over the rocks (I have some vertigo issues and all the looking down doesn't help). I quite enjoyed the gentle walk to Ponferada.
What we did do last time when we stayed in Acebo with our grandson, was to taxi down and back so he could swim in the beautiful dammed river. The ride back freaked me out as the drop is considerable and after walking for so long the car feels so fast.
I quite agree with you, @Anamiri, for the same reasons. It would be wonderful to have a helicopter pick me up in Acebo and drop me at the "beautiful dammed river". I've taxied twice - with eyes tightly closed and hanging on for dear life - and walked the Camino and the road once - with painful knees and wanting to be able to close my eyes. The views were stupendous when I stopped frequently, sat down, and appreciated the quiet and beauty. A conundrum...

I absolutely loved the beautiful walk from El Acebo to Molinaseca. How about considering a taxi from Molinaseca down to Ponferrada instead?
Whereas my journal from the time called it a "hell walk" from Riego de Ambros to Molinaseca. It might have had a lot to do with the state of my knees at the time, though.

Whereas my journal from the time called it a "hell walk" from Riego de Ambros to Molinaseca. It might have had a lot to do with the state of my knees at the time, though.
I have always preferred walking the downhills, especially on true paths, and at times there were stretches of blue slate underfoot. The mountain views and the variety of wildflowers were lovely, along with the charming, picturesque stone village of Riego de Ambros we passed through along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes, it was there in October 2021, and I think I talked to the very same pharmacist! It's a few blocks off the CF and was tricky to find.

There was no ATM in 2016, so I am pleased to hear that one has arrived.

I quite enjoyed my swim in the river, which horrified the waiters at the bar nearby. When they cried out how cold it was, I just answered: Soy Canadiense, and continued. But it was refreshing.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back