• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

transport from Lisbon to Valenca and sleeping bags

taylorshi

I have only a short vacation and am planning to walk from Valenca to Santiago in early June 2012. I am flying to Lisbon from Toronto and am unsure how to get from the airport to Valenca (or Tui) to start my walk. I have heard that there is a long bus trip available but think that I would prefer the train to a bus if possible. I will however search out whatever is recommended as the best and quickest way to get there. I have searched online but the only thing I can find is a 7 hour train ride and that seems a long time for a 375 km trip. It's hard to plan when the walk will actually start when I can't find anything that gives me an idea of how long it will take to get to Valenca/Tui.

I was also wondering if I really needed a sleeping bag or if I could manage with just a liner at that time of year. I am usually hot when I sleep and would like to reduce the amount I have to carry if possible.

Has anyone any experience or advice for me? Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A liner will be fine and the train moves well enough.

Turn right out of Valenca station and left when you get to the castle.
if you lose your way ask for the fire station, (bombadeiros (sp?))
the modern and comfy alberque is next door to it

Thank you Finisterre this really helps. My plane gets in at noon so now I have to figure out if I have enough time, after clearing customs, to catch a train right away or if I should spend the night in Lisbon. Do you know if the train station is far from the airport? or where I can find the schedules for the train? Thanks again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Taylorshi,

If your plane is on time, you are likely to be able to get the 14:00 train, which arrives in Valenca at 20:22. There is also one at 17:00, arriving 22:10. You can get all the schedules here: http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?vgne ... 01a8c0RCRD (I think that is the link to the English page, but if not, just go to cp.pt and you'll find it)

The airport is very close to the Oriente train station, probably around 2-3 miles, so you can get there very quickly in a cab. Probably a 10-15 minute ride if traffic is cooperating.

So I guess you have to decide whether you want to arrive in Valenca at night, or whether you'd rather spend a night in Lisbon first. If you did go into the city to spend the afternoon/evening, you could get a train the next morning from the in-city station, called Santa Apolonia. Departures from there are about 10 minutes before their departure from Oriente.

I love Lisbon and wouldn't pass up an opportunity to spend some time in the downtown historic core, but if you're anxious to get started on the Camino, you'll probably want to head right up to Valenca.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you so much Laurie. I will check out the link for train schedules you sent and probably take a day in Lisbon before I head out. Your opinion, added to the reading I have done, makes it sound like a wonderful way to start my Camino. If the helpful and friendly responses I have had on this forum are anything to go by, I am really looking forward to walking the Camino and meeting others on the way. Shirley

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back