• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from Madrid - Astorga

Bethc

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2016
Hi there
I am looking at transport from Madrid to Astorga on Saturday 17th Sept. My flight arrives in at 2pm ish and I was hoping to get a train but I can't seem to find one for that day.

Is my only option the bus then? Or am I not looking at the right website for trains. Seems weird to me that there are no trains running on a Saturday.

Grateful for any advice

Thanks in advance

Beth

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I will be on a train from Madrid Charmartin station to Astorga this Friday. I found the RENFE site useless. RailEurope gave me everything I needed.

Buen Camino. Steve

Hi Steve
I will be on a train from Madrid Charmartin station to Astorga this Friday. I found the RENFE site useless. RailEurope gave me everything I needed.

Buen Camino. Steve

Hi Steve
Thanks for the info.
Yes I checked RailEurope website. I can see trains on days such as Friday but nothing on Saturdays which I thought was odd - but maybe a train service doesn't run on a Saturday.
Enjoy your trip
Beth

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your only other option might be ALSA bus from airport or downtown. Slower but dependable

Your only other option might be ALSA bus from airport or downtown. Slower but dependable

Yes that's was my only option what was coming up. Ok. And best to book this in advance I presume?
Thanks

Hi Bethc!

There aren't direct trains from Madrid to Astorga on Saturdays. Your arrival time is late for options changing trains along the route (you would need to take a train at 14:40 out of Chamartín train station to make all the route by train on your arrival date).

Bus, as you said, is an option. In fact, it's the easiest option because you can take it at the airport itself. Take a look at the web of Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) for info about schedules. If the schedule of buses out of the airport doesn't suit you, there are more frequencies out of downtown Madrid (Estación Sur de Autobuses) but you would need from the airport to the downtown by yourself (and don't forget to take into consideration the time it takes to go from the airport to Estación Sur de Autobuses when planning). Tip: the metro and train station for Estación Sur de Autobuses is Méndez Álvaro.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Bethc!

There aren't direct trains from Madrid to Astorga on Saturdays. Your arrival time is late for options changing trains along the route (you would need to take a train at 14:40 out of Chamartín train station to make all the route by train on your arrival date).

Bus, as you said, is an option. In fact, it's the easiest option because you can take it at the airport itself. Take a look at the web of Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) for info about schedules. If the schedule of buses out of the airport doesn't suit you, there are more frequencies out of downtown Madrid (Estación Sur de Autobuses) but you would need from the airport to the downtown by yourself (and don't forget to take into consideration the time it takes to go from the airport to Estación Sur de Autobuses when planning). Tip: the metro and train station for Estación Sur de Autobuses is Méndez Álvaro.
Hi Bethc!

Castilian!
Thank you kindly for all the info.
The ALSA bus fits with my schedule.
I just wanted to double check I wasn't missing a train option.
Ok well that's my question answered.
I really appreciate your responses.
Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back