• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from Madrid to Carceres

Una

Can anyone direct me to where I can get information on bus /train services from Madrid to Carceres. Any update on the AVE works and availibilty of accommodation on this section of the Via de la Plata would also be appreciated. I plan to start from Casar de Carceres on April 11th.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For train, go to renfe.com There is a tab on the top for English. It looks like there are four trains a day, 8 am, 10 am, 4 pm and 6:20 pm. Trains for Caceres leave from Atocha.

For the bus, it's avanzabus.com. They show 7 buses a day from Madrid to Caceres. The bus station is Menendez Alvaro, kind of a pain to get to.

Will you be going straight from the airport to Caceres or are you going to spend time in Madrid? Getting to that bus station from the airport is a pain on the metro, but Melanie always recommends a shuttle, Aerocity, see here: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/metro-to-estacion-sur.17985/

Buen camino Una. Laurie

For train, go to renfe.com There is a tab on the top for English. It looks like there are four trains a day, 8 am, 10 am, 4 pm and 6:20 pm. Trains for Caceres leave from Atocha.

For the bus, it's avanzabus.com. They show 7 buses a day from Madrid to Caceres. The bus station is Menendez Alvaro, kind of a pain to get to.

How long is this trip ? Bus ? Train ? Friends in Madrid may come down to see me on the Plata ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can anyone direct me to where I can get information on bus /train services from Madrid to Carceres. Any update on the AVE works and availibilty of accommodation on this section of the Via de la Plata would also be appreciated. I plan to start from Casar de Carceres on April 11th.

I am also taking the bus from Madrid to Caceres on May 2.
The AVANZA bus leaves from the bus station.
There are buses at 9 am, 11:30 am, 14:30, and 15:30.
It is an approximately 5 hour ride.
The price (for me at 61) is around €22 one way.
I hope this helps.

Getting to the Madrid bus station from the airport: I've done this before. There is a shuttle, as someone mentioned, that lets you off about 2 blocks from the station. Not difficult and very inexpensive.

There is also a train to Caceres from Atocha at 10;18, 2:30, 4:19 for €41-€49.
You can take the Circanius (downstairs in T4 Madrid) for a few euros to Atocha to get your ticket.

I found an affordable room at Albergue las Veletas - I've stayed there before and liked the location.

I prefer the bus.

Regarding updates on the AVE, I'm just going to play it by ear… I'm only going as far as Salamanca and I think the only problem may be right after the embalse.

Buen Camino!

There are two train stations: Chamartin and Puerta Atocha. The Renfe trains to Caceres leave from Puerta Atocha.

There are several bus stations in Madrid. The bus to Caceres leaves from Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid, avenida Méndez Álvaro, 83.

Avanza bus is an association of bus companies. AutoRez is the actual service provider from Madrid to Caceres.

The Metro is the easiest way to connect from the airport T1T2T3 or T4 to Puerta Atocha and Estacion Sur. The Madrid Metro website provides route information.

The Metro station Renfe Atocha is co-located with the Puerta Atocha train station.

The Metro Station that is located closest to the bus station is Méndez Álvaro.

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

Avanza Bus
http://www.avanzabus.com/web/default.aspx

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid
http://www.estacionautobusesmadrid.com/frameset.html

Many thanks Laurie, Unadara, Anniesantiago and Whariwharangi for all that useful information. It is much appreciated. Long live the forum!
Una

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Una, the worst of the construction should indeed be from Casar de Caceres to roughly Canaveral, or maybe a little past there. I'm walking from Fuenterroble (a little south of Salamanca) to Santiago starting this Saturday and will be keeping a blog if you want to see what lies ahead: www.epiciceagetrail.blogspot.com. (The blog name comes because I created it when I hiked Wisconsin's Ice Age National Scenic Trail last fall.)

Melanie

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back