• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from mid-way jump off point to Madrid

deanfromoz

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - October 2019
Hola peregrinas!

I am starting the Camino Frances from SJPP on 5 October, and will be walking until around 24 October, when I need to be back in Madrid.

What experiences or options have you found when getting transport from a point where you leave the CF track back to Madrid? Do advance plans need to be made, or is transport readily available? Any advice for the most cost effective option, and how can I prepare myself so that I don't pay through the nose?

Depending on how well I go, this may be anywhere from Burgos to Terradillos de los Templarios. I would have liked to have made it to Leon with the time that I have, but am thinking that it's not realistic. Nice to take the time to enjoy the journey rather than focus on a destination.

Gracias

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Dean,

Well, according to the dates you mention, you've got 19 days of walking. From SJPP to Burgos it would mean a daily average of a little over 15 km. To Terradillos: a little over 21 km. average.

From both Burgos and Terradillos you could take the bus to Madrid, with Alsa.
Or the train. The train is (when you choose the cheapest option) just a little more expensive. The bus from Burgos takes almost 3 hours, the train 2,5 hours. There is no train connection between Terradillos and Burgos, so you'd have to rely on a bus and see which connection is possible. Check the links and images below:

1567575574879.png

1567575752319.png

1567576407605.png

Hope this helps. Enjoy your Camino!

From both Burgos and Terradillos you could take the bus to Madrid, with Alsa.
Or the train. The train is (when you choose the cheapest option) just a little more expensive.
Thanks André. Any idea whether early bookings on the bus or train are needed?

Given that I'll be off peak, I was hoping to see how I go and make a booking a few days out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Dean, Ana from Oz here as well :)

As you said, you will be off season. From Burgos there are a few buses/trains every day, so you may be able to leave it to be decided closer to your departure date. Depending on how much you walk, you may reach Castrojeriz/Fromista, where it is not too hard to get a bus/taxi/train back to Madrid either.

Keep an eye on the Alsa (buses) and Renfe (train) websites and you should be fine.

Thanks André. Any idea whether early bookings on the bus or train are needed?

Given that I'll be off peak, I was hoping to see how I go and make a booking a few days out.
Hi Dean
Would definitely suggest making a booking in advance for the train from Burgos as it can be fully booked as it was earlier this week. Although, as you say, you will be traveling out of the peak period.

Download the Alsa app, you can check every bus they run and buy tickets on the app. Buses go everywhere in Spain and are regular, reliable and not expensive. You will be able to take a bus from a village to a larger village and then take an Alsa bus.
So, from Burgos direct to Madrid airport they run several times a day, €11 cheapest but I prefer the €20 option which has better seats. This is how the locals get about.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for all of the great suggestions!! I wasn't aware of the Alsa busses, so will make good use as I near my jump-off point. The perils of having to return to the real world (work). 🙁

Well, according to the dates you mention, you've got 19 days of walking. From SJPP to Burgos it would mean a daily average of a little over 15 km. To Terradillos: a little over 21 km. average.
Having done a bit of research, the below link shows a 31 day walking route to Santiago de Compostela. I figure that if I follow this I should be able to have at least one rest day (Burgos), and make it to Leon, before taking a bus/train to Madrid by 24 October.

https://santiago.forwalk.org/en/m/1...-to-santiago-de-compostela/stage-list/#stages

I'm not thrilled by the near 30km days in the last stretch, but am thinking that some of the shorter days could be extended out a bit to even the load.

Having done a bit of research, the below link shows a 31 day walking route to Santiago de Compostela. I figure that if I follow this I should be able to have at least one rest day (Burgos), and make it to Leon, before taking a bus/train to Madrid by 24 October.

https://santiago.forwalk.org/en/m/1...-to-santiago-de-compostela/stage-list/#stages

I'm not thrilled by the near 30km days in the last stretch, but am thinking that some of the shorter days could be extended out a bit to even the load.
You could reach Leon in 19 days easily, when I walk I plan for 32 km or 20 miles per day. that is 7 to 8 hrs walking including coffee. To reach Leon in 19 days you need to walk only 25km a day. Trust me, after a few days you will regard 20 to 25 days as rest days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nice to take the time to enjoy the journey rather than focus on a destination.
Nice thought. I like it. But on the other hand you may be able to make it to Sahagun where there is a train station. The train is likely to connect to Leon and maybe Madrid. You can also get a halfway certificate for the Camino Frances there.

Nice thought. I like it. But on the other hand you may be able to make it to Sahagun where there is a train station. The train is likely to connect to Leon and maybe Madrid. You can also get a halfway certificate for the Camino Frances there.
Thanks Rick, that's good to know. I'll keep that in my reserve chute in case it's needed!

Never heard of a halfway certificate before. Is this common or official?

Never heard of a halfway certificate before. Is this common or official?
Sahagun made itself the center of the CF. It is close if you make the start Roncevalles or Pamplona (I forget which). There is a church/ermita just before town immediately followed by two statues facing each other across the camino. Very Tolkienesque, I think they are supposed to mark the mid-point.

The certificate is issued by the town, not the church, and is picked up at a slight cost at the far end of town. An old church on a hill a short walk from the camino has been converted into a museum and the certificate can be gotten at the admission desk. The hours are like those of a museum, i.e. closed Mondays, late morning opening with a long siesta before opening again.

The church/museum is the Iglesia de la Peregrina. See more here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/midway-certificate.35124/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back