• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from Santander to Ferrol?

Kenneth Judd

Time of past OR future Camino
None in the past - only the Camino Ingles planned
Hello everyone - total Camino newbie here. I'm planning to start the Camino Ingles from Ferrol on or about September 30th. I live in Colorado USA but I will be in the UK visiting family before heading out to Spain. I want to fly to Santander and then go by train or bus over to Ferrol mainly because I want to see that part of Spain. My question is what is the best way to get from Santander to Ferrol? And how much time should I expect it to take?

I'm very excited about my upcoming Camino and I have already bought two guidebooks and the Peregrino Credential. I've also been training regularly (I'm 73). Thank you all very much for any advice in advance!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kenneth Judd,

Welcome to the forum!
You future trip sounds great. Tap this
Rome2Rio link for various transport possibilitie for your trip. Tap each possibility for more info.

Happy planning and Carpe diem.

Last edited:
Hi @Kenneth Judd ,
If you have time, take the FEVE - https://www.iberian-escapes.com/slow-train-travel-in-northern-spain.html also this https://www.roughguides.com/spain/cantabria-and-asturias/the-feve-railway/ - just a couple of many articles if you do a search on Feve Spain. A few years ago I took it from Oviedo (before dawn in the Fall) to Ferrol (mid- to late-afternoon). BUT, it's comfortable, slow, stops at every little place - the locals use it - it consists of one or two cars, a clean toilet, but no food - so take a picnic and beverages. The scenery is wonderful...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Kenneth Judd If you are not in a hurry, and want to see that part of Spain, you could take the FEVE "slow train" from Santander to Ferrol. It's very slow and stops a lot, and while technically possible in a day you would probably be better to take two or more days just to give yourself a break and to see something of the places you pass through (you would have to change in Oviedo anyway). But it is a beautiful route that follows the coast part of the way and some more inland scenery the rest of the time. You'll find the timetables here (they are separate to the other train schedules on Renfe's site, and don't appear in those): https://www.renfe.com/es/en/suburban/cercanias-feve

Highly recommended!! A word of caution though - if you decide to stop off on the way some of the stops are in the middle of nowhere, so you'd need to check the map when choosing your stop!

EDIT: @OTH86 beat me to it and posted while I was typing!

The usual starting point is to go to Rome2Rio to see which options (bus / rail) and combinations are available. The Renfe website is easy to use and there is a Renfe app for your phone too.

Also as you are in the Tarjeta Dorada age band, get one in Santander so you can use it in Spain for up to a year. Great discounts on train travel

Yes, absolutely , like others already wrote do take the FEVE. I did so from Santander with a stop in Oviedo ( time enough for a coffee at the cafeteria of the station ) and then another train to Ferrol.
It is a perfect example of slow travelling.And you can see lots of places on the Camino del Norte.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Kenneth
FWIW, as I haven't been this way for a few years, but unless there've been some major renovations in Santander recently... airport bus takes about 10 minutes, straight into the transport hub where the bus station sits below the Feve railway station in the centre of town.
I've used the ALSA longer-distance bus service several times and really enjoyed it. As far as I can see both train and bus options take a while, so it'll probably come down to your arrival time in Santander. Looks like weekday Feve runs once a day, leaving at 8.29 and takes 13.15 hours to Ferrol. Check here.
Looks like weekday ALSA runs twice a day to Coruña (not Ferrol) - 03.45 and 11.45. The day bus takes 8.5hrs and and night one is 2 hours less. Check here.
Cheers, tom

Hello everyone - total Camino newbie here. I'm planning to start the Camino Ingles from Ferrol on or about September 30th. I live in Colorado USA but I will be in the UK visiting family before heading out to Spain. I want to fly to Santander and then go by train or bus over to Ferrol mainly because I want to see that part of Spain. My question is what is the best way to get from Santander to Ferrol? And how much time should I expect it to take?

I'm very excited about my upcoming Camino and I have already bought two guidebooks and the Peregrino Credential. I've also been training regularly (I'm 73). Thank you all very much for any advice in advance!
Hi there! We took the ferry from the UK then the FEVE train from Santander to Ferrol in late July this year. You can read about our adventures at caminodonruthmc.blogspot.com
We are 69 and 70, from Canada.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi

Check the timetables carefully if you intend to take FEVE from Santander to Ferrol in one go. I made the reverse journey about 6 weeks ago and there was only 4 minutes to change trains at Oviedo. Not surprisingly, I missed the connection....

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back