Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from Santiago bus terminal to Oviedo

wendy busch

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France's 2012
Camino de Santiago and camino Finesterre 2013
Camino Frances and camino Portuguese 2014
(2016 Camino de Santiago and camino Ingles and Camino Primitivo.)
I will finish the Camino ingles then do the Camino Primitivo .
Can anyone advise me on the best transport from Santiago to Oviedo. And does it run through the towns on the Primitivo route?
Thanks everyone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Wendy
looking at the site I mentioned in the post about Lugo to SDC. ( rome2rio.com)
It tells me a regular train running SDC to A Coruna. 28mins. . Then you'd catch train from A Coruna to Oviedo (3hrs 35mins) -it says 5 times a day.

Depends how much to'ing and fro'ing you want to do and how much this costs.
Schedules and indicative prices come up on these rome2rio searches by the way.
Have a look see. It's quite fun
Annie

There is no direct bus via the Primitivo to Oviedo. It is possible to take the bus to Lugo, then to Fonsagrada, taxi to Grandas de Salime (no public transport) then bus (ALSA) to Oviedo. Not really practical IMO. There are buses that go from Santiago via Leon to Oviedo (ALSA) with some at least going via Lugo. Checking on the ALSA site a couple of years ago was not easy as it did not seem to give all the available buses because basically you had to already know their final destination and start points, including the change of bus in Leon. I cannot remember how long it took but hope that helps....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I guess I might be in the same boat in May.
I plan to fly to Asturias, then bus to Oviedo, then walk the Primitivo.
If I bought a return flight to Asturias, I'd then need to somehow get back from Santiago to Asturias.
So ..... best to fly OUT to Asturias, then RETURN from Santiago arport.
Thanks, Tia, for all your help and comments!

Can anyone advise me on the best transport from Santiago to Oviedo. And does it run through the towns on the Primitivo route?
Thanks everyone.

Hi Wendy, I travelled back from Santiago by Alsa coach from SdC bus station to Santander in May 2016 and the bus went through A Coruna and Oviedo. It left SdC approx 9.00am and cost around 40 Euros all the way to Santander. I have just checked on their website and the bus leaves at 9 as I thought but there is a very much earlier one around 5am. It is a slow journey but with magnificent views over the coastal villages and over the Picos. The coach has toilets and stops a long way before before Oviedo for a short break to allow passengers to refuel with coffee and cakes/boccadilloes. If you are booking online with Alsa - as I did yesterday - there is no need to enter a post code, it is requested but UK codes don't fit the stated number of digits so just leave that box blank. You can also choose your seat from the menu offered. Buen Camino,
Sandy

I went from SDC to Oviedo last July on a direct ALSA bus. depends what time of day but they take 4.5 or 5.5 hours. Cost is about 30 euros. Cannot remember the route. I remember it goes through Aviles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can see the stops made en route if you click on the itinerary box of the bus you have selected on the ALSA website, just make sure you slide all the way to final destination as sometimes the bus calls at numerous towns along the way.

Then you'd catch train from A Coruna to Oviedo (3hrs 35mins) -it says 5 times a day.

No direct train from A Coruña to Oviedo at all. Maybe, it suggests a bus from A Coruña to Oviedo (the quicker ones take roughly 3h. 35m.) but Why would you go to A Coruña by train to catch a bus that you can take in Santiago de Compostela?

40€!? From Santiago to Santander? I have paid as little as 5€ from Barajas to Pamplona or Leon by booking in advance. Might be worth looking into purchasing your ticket

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good to see actual (on ground ) info .
As mentioned the Rome2rio.com info would be a guide only. Usually more accurate than what the comparisons above to actual are . You've got some good choices, but all take a while.

Apart from logistics Wendy, if you're thinking of this as a 'tack-on' with days after you finish a different route - IMHO, I'd save Primitivo (a most beautiful way) to do at a time where you walk into Oviedo . Either after splitting from the Norte, or after walking the Salvador from Leon to Oviedo.
Most of us love coming back to do another route -
Enjoy your planning and Buen Camino
Annie

40€!? From Santiago to Santander? I have paid as little as 5€ from Barajas to Pamplona or Leon by booking in advance. Might be worth looking into purchasing your ticket

Anemone, you are quite right to point out the advantages of booking ahead. I got my ticket from the SdC bus station the day before departure. It was my first Camino and I hadn't been sure when (or, more honestly, if) I would get to Santiago. Having just booked a ticket from Madrid to Barcelona I made the mistake of not registering with ALSA first. being of a certain age, ie. over 60, I therefore missed the opportunity for being able to get 40% off. Never too old to learn something new, eh?

As mentioned the Rome2rio.com info would be a guide only. Usually more accurate than what the comparisons above to actual are . You've got some good choices, but all take a while.

Apart from logistics Wendy, if you're thinking of this as a 'tack-on' with days after you finish a different route - IMHO, I'd save Primitivo (a most beautiful way) to do at a time where you walk into Oviedo . Either after splitting from the Norte, or after walking the Salvador from Leon to Oviedo.
Annie[/QUOTE

Annie
Dear Ozannie, I have done several caminos before and you picked right....I am finishing with it after 2 other caminos this year. I may have a good 10 days after Camino de santiago and camino Ingles. Im hoping to get Oviedo to Melide or thereabouts where the two caminos meet. Why is this not a good plan.?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks everyone.

I went from SDC to Oviedo last July on a direct ALSA bus. depends what time of day but they take 4.5 or 5.5 hours. Cost is about 30 euros. Cannot remember the route. I remember it goes through Aviles.

Hi, Wendy,
I don't know the answer to your question, but I think Al has answered it -- if the bus goes through Avilés, that means it comes into Oviedo from the north, suggesting that it doesn't run through towns on the Primitivo (or the Salvador for that matter).

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes through Lugo, which is on the Primitivo, but I don't think it traces the camino in any significant way.

There is a bu that runs fromOviedo to ... past Esclampero and perhaps to Grado, but it's a city suburban bus, not long distance, and only runs a few times a day. Just to irk you on day 1 or 2 when your body is not warmed up to and you limp by the bus stops. Because yes, people we may feel we are on an adventure but gruth is we are slumbering through Spansih suburbs, no wildernes. :confused:

For those who need it:-

The bus from Oviedo to Grandas de Salime leaves Oviedo once a day (at 15.15) and not on Saturdays (no bus from Oviedo), unless things change. It passes through Grado, Salas, Tineo etc and makes the return trip next day leaving Grandas at 6.30am. This is the daily pattern except Sunday when it leaves Oviedo at 9.00am and returns in the afternoon from Grandas at 15.30.

There is also an ALSA to Cangas de Narcea which goes as far as Salas before taking a different route........

This re-inforces the original answer that there is no direct route to Oviedo from Santiago passing along the Primitivo, and that the 'quickest' way is probably the ALSA via Lugo and Leon with a change of bus given on the schedule.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back