• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from Santiago to Madrid

RichardLouisa

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean to Santiago (planning for July 2013)
At the end of our Santiago pilgrim trip we need to get back to Madrid to fly out (around 2nd week of July 2013).
We need advice on which transport is best from Santiago to Madrid? Bus? Train? Plane? Taxi?
Richard

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Train is most comfortable. July schedules are not available yet, but here is the current schedule.

Tren / Recorrido Salida Llegada Duración Precios Prestaciones Accesible
99970 ENLACE 07.25 14.43 Consultar y comprar Ver Ver
99184 ENLACE 09.05 16.20 Consultar y comprar Ver Ver
99084 ENLACE 09.05 15.40 Consultar y comprar Ver Ver
04084 ALVIA 09.05 14.43 5 h. 38 min. Consultar y comprar Ver Ver
00852 TRENHOTEL 22.33 07.55 9 h. 22 min. Consultar y comprar Ver

Hi, RichardLouisa,

I think that in part the answer depends on what time you need to be in Madrid and whether you plan to spend time there. I always fly in and out of Madrid and I usually spend a day or two in the city. If I take the overnight train and get a bed, I have a full day in Santiago, leave at night, get to Madrid early the next morning. You don't say how old you are, but if you're over 60 (?) you are eligible for 40% off standard train fares, and that's an excellent bargain.

This year I have to be home and can't spend the time in Madrid, so I'm flying from Santiago. There is an early morning flight that gets me in Madrid in time to get on lots of flights back to the US (most leave between 11 and 1 pm) (not sure where you're from). That's certainly the easiest, but not my preference, because I love Madrid.

It would be possible to take the overnight train, arrive in Madrid (scheduled around 8 am), and make it to the airport for a flight later that morning, but it might be a close call if there are any delays.

Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you need to get there quickly, Ryanair have daily flights from Santiago to Madrid. They are efficient and predictable, but do read through their baggage rules as they are strictly (and expensively) enforced. They also add on lots of fees as you work through the booking process, so don't be fooled by the initial fare quote.

http://www.ryanair.com/en

Regardless, they do the job.
Nancy

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back