• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Transport from St Juan de Ortega

PeterT1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 09/05/23
I cannot find accommodation in St Juan de Ortega. Does anyone know if it’s possible to get a bus or taxi to the outskirts of Burgos and back the next morning to continue my Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Most pilgrims stop there to change the fluids, and continue on a very easy path to Ages or Atapuerca. The hostel in San Juan is not reservable, but why not stay there? To answer your question, I'm not aware of any bus service. A taxi WILL come and get you, but they are going to charge you for it since there really isn't anything in San Juan other than the monastery, a bar, and a few houses.

I cannot find accommodation in St Juan de Ortega. Does anyone know if it’s possible to get a bus or taxi to the outskirts of Burgos and back the next morning to continue my Camino
Where are you looking? As has been said the Albergue has 60 beds and doesn’t take reservations. As has also been said you can always get a taxi. And make a taxi driver very happy….

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Most pilgrims stop there to change the fluids, and continue on a very easy path to Ages or Atapuerca. The hostel in San Juan is not reservable, but why not stay there? To answer your question, I'm not aware of any bus service. A taxi WILL come and get you, but they are going to charge you for it since there really isn't anything in San Juan other than the monastery, a bar, and a few houses.
Thanks I tried all the surrounding area for 20may with no luck. If I can get in the Albergue in St Juan that would be great. Maybe a night in open is looming 😱

Where are you looking? As has been said the Albergue has 60 beds and doesn’t take reservations. As has also been said you can always get a taxi. And make a taxi driver very happy….
Thanks, I’m new at this so I wondered why I couldn’t find anything liste for St Juan

Nah. If San Juan is full, the municipal in Ages is pretty good, and its not too much of a walk further. Ages is quietly one of the best pilgrim towns on the Camino. With several albergues in close proximity, it feels a bit like a street party until 10 PM, when everyone collapses into bed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, I’m new at this so I wondered why I couldn’t find anything liste for St Juan
I stayed in the San Juan albergue and it was fine...not a lot around it, but it was okay. It's huge, tons of beds and I've got to think you'll find a bed.

Good luck and buen camino

Nah. If San Juan is full, the municipal in Ages is pretty good, and its not too much of a walk further. Ages is quietly one of the best pilgrim towns on the Camino. With several albergues in close proximity, it feels a bit like a street party until 10 PM, when everyone collapses into bed.
So I should be ok then 👍. Would you suggest going for Ages assuming my legs are up for it ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So I should be ok then 👍. Would you suggest going for Ages assuming my legs are up for it ?
I suggest you walk to San Juan and decide. If they are full, the decision is made for you. If you are tired, and they have a bed, take it. For me, I would rather stay in Ages, but my first choice is Atapuerca because of a really great place for dinner - Como Sapiens. As Tinca suggested, Gronze has all the accommodations listed. Rather than on-line booking, just send them a whatsapp message or call them directly. MANY places don't like to pay for booking.com, but that doesn't mean you can't find a place to stay.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It’s unlikely that the albergue in San Juan would be full. A huge number of people skip this section, either busing from Villafranca Montes de Oca or from Belorado directly to Burgos.

I stayed in the San Juan albergue and it was fine...not a lot around it, but it was okay. It's huge, tons of beds and I've got to think you'll find a bed.

Good luck and buen camino
Great Casa Rural in St.Juan owned by Bar owner.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We stayed in Belorado overnight and got a taxi when we got there an dthey took us back the following mnorning. Just another option.

We stayed in Belorado overnight and got a taxi when we got there an dthey took us back the following mnorning. Just another option.
You can catch a Bus from main road to Burgos outside Belorado.

Back