• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport help needed please

backiej

Hello everyone.
I am currently working the lana and I have a problem. My husband is joining me next week and will fly into Alicante. The plan was to get a train or bus from Alicante to wherever I happen to have got to at the time. However, I couldn't find anything as far as alatoz and that's where I think I will be. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a bus from almansa to alatoz because I can't see that option either. We will only have 2 or 3 more days walking before we have to go to Madrid and the only stations I can see from Madrid are Alicante and Cuenca.
If this seems highly impracticable would it be better to change to another route for example the levante or the sureste? Any ideas or suggestions will be really gratefully received. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone.
I am currently working the lana and I have a problem. My husband is joining me next week and will fly into Alicante. The plan was to get a train or bus from Alicante to wherever I happen to have got to at the time. However, I couldn't find anything as far as alatoz and that's where I think I will be. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a bus from almansa to alatoz because I can't see that option either. We will only have 2 or 3 more days walking before we have to go to Madrid and the only stations I can see from Madrid are Alicante and Cuenca.
If this seems highly impracticable would it be better to change to another route for example the levante or the sureste? Any ideas or suggestions will be really gratefully received. Thank you.
Alatoz is a little bit off the radar but it can be reached by public transport via Almansa:

According to Gronze you would be in Campillo de Altobuey three days later. From there you have public transport via Cuenca to Madrid:

Buen Camino!

Those Rome2Rio itineraries to Alatoz all require a taxi. I have a feeling that they underestimate the taxi fare.

Assuming your husband is travelling on a weekday, I suggest routing via Albacete. The times below are based on the information for 12/Apr. Verify times on the day that you plan to travel.
Note: This only applies on weekdays. The bus does from Albacete not operate at weekends or holidays.

1. Train from Alicante to Albacete Los Llanos - 2:45 PM Departure from Alicante (or earlier)

In theory, the train leaving at 3:45 PM would give your husband 4 minutes to run 200m from the Albacete Los Llanos railway station to the Estación de Autobuses to catch the bus. I think that's cutting things too fine.

2. Bus (Operated by Monbus) from Albacete to Ayora (stops in Alatoz) - Departs at 4:45 PM
Bus tickets can be purchased at the ticket office or when boarding.

Another option is to search for a ride on BlaBlacar. Install the app, register your details, and search for people who are travelling from Alicante, Almansa, or Albacete. Unfortunately, Alatoz doesn't seem to be "on the way" to anywhere significant, so you may strike out there. But if your husband is thinking of taking a taxi from Almansa, I'd suggest that you check BlaBlacar for that route too - and keep checking even up to the last minute. It might save you a chunk of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back