• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport of luggage on the Via de la Plata

helenapple

Ourense is a lovely city in which to spend a few days before starting to walk the last 100km of the 'Via de la Plata' pilgrims' path to Santiago de Compostela. The walk is mainly through beautiful countryside with small Galician villages and hospitality on the way.

If you don't want to carry your main luggage, some local taxi firms will help. An example is Taxi3 Amoeira: contact José Angel Cid Vazquez on

jacidvazquez@gmail.com or

+34 629 035 774

José Angel is extremely helpful and can also identify places to stay.

You can use Taxi3 or other companies to start south of Ourense too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi.

Can you explain what you mean a bit more? Does José Angel give discounts for transporting luggage, or do you simply mean he's a trusted person to move your bags? I know the Camino Frances has taxis that offer fantastic deals to move bags, but that's because there are so many people on that Camino desiring that service. The VDLP is different, of course, as one of the least-traveled ways.

I'm here now, nearly finished with 1,000km, and have never had a problem finding a local taxista (or trusted local resident) to move my bags. It's very costly, unfortunately, since there are so few pilgrims that the taxistas can't offer cheap mochila service. But I must do the Camino in this fashion, now, because I'm carrying my work equipment with me (laptop, extra cameras, etc.).

Anyway, just curious if you've stumbled upon something new. Even if José Angel is just a regular taxista, it's always good to know who the good guys are! (I had a really sweet, young man in A Gudina -- where, he said, the unemployment rate is 30% -- who thanked me profusely for giving him the business, then gave me a discount plus a jar of honey! Don't have his card on me now, but if anyone's interested, I'll dig it up.)

Melanie

I agree wholeheartedly. He couldn't have been more helpful.
I would also like to recommend a lovely little hotel called Estrela situated very centrally in Santiago. Estrela is the name of the hotel owner who lives in the flat above. She will take your luggage in if you want to send it ahead. She keeps the rooms very clean and guests have access to a little kitchen.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jose Angel is a trusted partner in moving bags and also a friend in helping to sort out problems (like you need picking up from somewhere because you've twisted your ankle; you can't find a place to stay; etc).

He is a regular taxista and we simply asked him to provide us with a quote against our itinerary and needs. We identified him through a trawl of the yellow pages (páginas amarillas), but we (a group of 7 women, mostly over 50) really appreciated his support and concern to get it right.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back