• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport Options on the Meseta

Streetfood

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Finisterre) 2017. Via dl Plata 2018. Portuguese 2019.
We’re currently in Villafranca Montes de Oca & will arrive by bus into Burgos on Wednesday with a rest day on Thursday.
My companion has developed painful ‘shin splints’ in her right calf. She is taking the usual meds & for the last 2 days has used the backpack transport service.
My question is, if we walk onto the meseta & she finds herself unable to continue walking, what transport options exist to get her off the meseta & to a transport hub?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well, you’re approaching the best transport hub bar none in the form of Burgos. From there on; even to within sight of Leon; bus services are scarce and where they exist make few intermediate stops, and go well off-route wrt the Camino.

Taxis are available in many of the intermediate towns although they’re not always renowned for punctuality. Sahagun is an exception in that it has (although I’ve not used it) a reliable multi-car taxi fleet.

From Sahagun there's a train going to Leon. Also a bus from Castrojeriz to Fromista. At least it was in 2015 when I was sick and needed public transport! I also took a taxi from Poblacion de Campos to Carrion. The bar called it for me when I couldn't walk anymore. Things might have changed though. All the best to your walking companion!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I believe there is a bus from Carrion de los Condos to Leon. There certainly was one taking us there (to Carrion) from Leon so I imagine you could jump on that bus to go to Leon.

Last year when I broke my left foot outside Burgos, I found a low-cost bus from Burgos to Leon that largely (but not entirely) followed the line of march, with stops in such places as Carrion de los Condes, Terradillos, Sahagun, and Mansilla de las Mulas. I believe that it was an ALSA bus. Should ck the ALSA website. Note that it missed such remote sites as Hornillos and Castrojerez, as I recall.

From a prior walk I recall that there was in 2018 a cheap/nice "local" bus from Fromista to Carrion. I found it by asking at the Fromista tourism office.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know of a transportation alternative out of Frómista. On our April 2017 pilgrimage, I was struck with food poisoning in Castrojeriz. We were able to walk to Frómista the next day, but knew that walking further was not possible or advisable. We learned from the Tourist Office in town that a bus runs to the transportation hub in Palencia. From there, it's very easy to catch a train to Leon. Good luck.

I know of a transportation alternative out of Frómista. On our April 2017 pilgrimage, I was struck with food poisoning in Castrojeriz. We were able to walk to Frómista the next day, but knew that walking further was not possible or advisable. We learned from the Tourist Office in town that a bus runs to the transportation hub in Palencia. From there, it's very easy to catch a train to Leon. Good luck.
We’re currently in Villafranca Montes de Oca & will arrive by bus into Burgos on Wednesday with a rest day on Thursday.
My companion has developed painful ‘shin splints’ in her right calf. She is taking the usual meds & for the last 2 days has used the backpack transport service.
My question is, if we walk onto the meseta & she finds herself unable to continue walking, what transport options exist to get her off the meseta & to a transport hub?
From El Burgo Ranero there is a bus to Leon 3 mornings a week and a train every morning and evening.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.