• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport Pamplona to SJPP

yolanda Mejia

Time of past OR future Camino
none past, planing to go on May to do the French walk( 2015) do not have sense of direction
Hello all Camino Helpers. Please help me reduce my anxiety. I'm planning to start my Camino from SJPDP, I bought a ticket for Pamplona, for June 21 from Miami Flo, because it was very reasonable price; now I have a problem. I have red all transportation's treads and I can not find any way to go from Pamplona to SJPDP. ALSA Mon bus, or Conda they do not go that route. I need some direction. may be even a close by town. Thank you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all Camino Helpers. Please help me reduce my anxiety. I'm planning to start my Camino from SJPDP, I bought a ticket for Pamplona, for June 21 from Miami Flo, because it was very reasonable price; now I have a problem. I have red all transportation's treads and I can not find any way to go from Pamplona to SJPDP. ALSA Mon bus, or Conda they do not go that route. I need some direction. may be even a close by town. Thank you
Why not start in Pamplona?

When I was there in 2016 in the Pamplona bus station there were certainly several bus companies that were running buses to SJPdP. I can't say for sure which they were. if they have disappeared (due to Covid) and are not back by the time that you start your Camino, you could consider taking a bus to Roncesvalles and a taxi from there. Or starting from Roncesvalles. Or, as alexwalker suggests, from Pamplona.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I was there in 2016 in the Pamplona bus station there were certainly several bus companies that were running buses to SJPdP. I can't say for sure which they were. if they have disappeared (due to Covid) and are not back by the time that you start your Camino, you could consider taking a bus to Roncesvalles and a taxi from there. Or starting from Roncesvalles. Or, as alexwalker suggests, from Pamplona.
Good advice from @David Tallan . I don't get it why people must start in SJpdP. Any point is a good starting point. Personally, I prefer Papmplona, because it is just a short train/bus ride for places like Barcelona/Madrid. I have done the SJpdP walk as well. Nothing special, IMHO.

I have red all transportation's treads and I can not find any way to go from Pamplona to SJPDP. ALSA Mon bus, or Conda they do not go that route.
My advice: Don't worry and wait until next week when current restrictions on mobility in the area of Pamplona and the region (Navarra) will have been lifted and demand for busses serving the line Pamplona-Zubiri-Roncesvalles-SJPdP is likely to increase.

Meanwhile, have a look at https://www.autocaresartieda.com .

The timetable for the line Pamplona-Roncesvalles from 1 October 2020 until 30 June 2021, Monday to Saturday, is here: https://www.autocaresartieda.com/pdf/roncesvalles.pdf .

If there is no bus to SJPP you could take a taxi from Roncesvalles for this last section.

Last edited:
Why not start in Pamplona?
Hello AlexWalker This is a Holy year, as a catholic I'm following the French Camino. My understanding is that we start in SJPDP. Thank You for trying to help me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My advice: Don't worry and wait until next week when current restrictions on mobility in the area of Pamplona and the region (Navarra) will have been lifted and demand for busses serving the line Pamplona-Zubiri-Roncesvalles-SJPdP is likely to increase.

Meanwhile, have a look at https://www.autocaresartieda.com .

The timetable for the line Pamplona-Roncesvalles from 1 October 2020 until 30 June 2021, Monday to Saturday, is here: https://www.autocaresartieda.com/pdf/roncesvalles.pdf .

If there is no bus to SJPP you could take a taxi from Roncesvalles for this last section.
Hellow Katharina, I will into it next week, but of course, I will try to look at those sites now. Thank you

Hellow Katharina, I will into it next week, but of course, I will try to look at those sites now. Thank you
Wow! I just look at both sites, I will get to Roncesvalles Great! Thank You

Hello AlexWalker This is a Holy year, as a catholic I'm following the French Camino. My understanding is that we start in SJPDP. Thank You for trying to help me.
The Camino starts where you start. Ideally from your doorstep as in the old days. If not, wherever you want. SJpdP is just a new gimmick. It really doesn't matter. The Camino, from Pamplona, is still a long and beautiful walk.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Amen! to that alexwalker, every section of the Camino is beautiful!

How to open a can of worms. Lesson one: write "I'm following the French Camino. My understanding is that we start in SJPDP".

For many people it does. For many people it doesn't. Historically, there are actually four main Camino routes wending their way through France to Santiago de Compostela: from Paris, Vezelay, Le Puy, and Arles. They are described in the Codex Calixtinus. Three of those routes (from Paris, Vezelay, and Le Puy) go through the Ibañeta Pass to Roncesvalles and on to Santiago. One (from Arles) goes through the Somport Pass and on to Santiago. For many people the Camino Frances starts just before both the Ibañeta Pass and the Somport Pass and includes both. That's what I see in a number of the guide books I possess. Others start the Camino Frances just before the town of Puente La Reina, where all four routes from France converge. They call the route over the Ibañeta Pass the Camino Navarro and the route over the Somport Pass the Camino Aragones.

Still others (and you seem to be in this school) keep the Camino Aragones separate but lump the Camino Navarro with the Camino Frances. For these people, the Camino Frances starts more or less where the three western French routes join. SJPP is the closest town to this point, but if you want to be a purist you can start 20 km earlier at Ostabat which is the village more or less where they join.

Of course, if you want to be a real purist, the Camino starts at your front door or local parish church.

I will note that the earliest Camino Guide, the previously mentioned Codex Calixtinus, does not mention Saint Jean Pied de Port at all.

Last edited:
Thank you David, good info.

News: The line Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port will be served by a bus again! It will start on 21 June 2021!

Link to the bus companies starting from Pamplona: http://www.estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Rutas.aspx.html

Link to Conda/Alsa where you can book a bus ticket for Pamplona-SJPP (in English):
Every day of the week including Sundays, 14:30-16:15, 22 €

Last edited:
Kathar 1na I just wanted to send you a thank you 🙏 with a hug I been so stressed 😥 wow you have totally reassured me and help me gain confidence 🙏🤗

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back