• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport Santiago-Sarria-O Cebreiro

What would be a reasonable price (per person) for a shuttle service from the Santiago airport direct

• Under 50 euro

Votes: 17 94.4%
  • 50 to 60 euro

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 60 to 70 euro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70 to 80 euro

• 80 to 90 Euro

• Over 90 euro

• Total voters

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Let's say someone (who.?... me?!) was thinking of offering pilgrims a transport service direct from the Santiago Airport to Sarria and then on to O Cebreiro.

What would be a reasonable price to charge?

Trying to get a feel if this is viable or not...

Thanks for any feedback,
Ivar

Edit Ivar: Added "per person" in the poll question (September 7th 2006.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It needs to stay somewhere on the cheap side - I put down for €50-60, working on the basis that the service includes pick up at the airport, help with bags and transport all the way to the albergues in Sarria and O'Cebreiro.

I'm trying to remember what my actual costs were earlier this year. Something like:

€3 - airport bus to Santiago
€40 - accomodation (including breakfast)
€15 - bus from Santiago to Piedrafita
€15 - other sundries around town (coffee, dinner, etc)

Actually, costing it out like that, I probably should have voted for a slightly higher figure; it's a balance of how much avoiding the hassle of an extra night and quite a bit of walking before you can get to the starting point of your pilgrimage (and the additional costs) offsets the chance to experience Santiago while still relatively fresh.

A couple of additional things to consider would be:

1. Would you offer a discount for extra people (benefitting those travelling as a group) or try to keep the rate lower but going up at a flat rate per person?

2. One thing I did in Santiago was get a few supplies for the walk (trail snacks) that I hadn't wanted to carry on the plane; a chance to stop at a supermarket would be a useful bonus. People starting in Sarria have a whole town to shop in but O'Cebreiro is fairly limited for supplies.

Wulf

I think that the time spent on figuring out how to get there and making all the arrangements is worth a lot. I was wondering if this was to be an on demand service or a scheduled service? To me the big thing is that it would avoid the time and expenses in Santiago. So it would need to preclude that. I think that it is worth exploring. What would a taxi charge to do this today? John

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for good feedback! The idea would be to set up a "on demand" service with booking online before you leave home.

Regarding taxi prices, I have talked to a few taxidrivers in Santiago and they quoted me ca. 105,- euro from Santiago to Sarria and about 160 euro to O Cebreiro. For Sundays and holidays add 20% (not sure about saturdays and late at night on weekdays).

This is not a fixed price, but someting that needs to be negotiated with each taxi driver before entering the taxi. So the prices above would be an indication and nothing more...

Thanks agian for good feedback and if anyone have more thoughts on this please post them here.

Un saludo,
Ivar

I was not sure if I was voting for a per person rate or per vehicle. Obviously there would be a difference between the two so my vote may have been placed at the too cheap end as I worked on a per person rate.

William

Ivars transport to Sarria

Ivar,

I voted 50-60 euro assuming it was per person.

As a comparison in 2005 my wife and I took a taxi from Pamplona airport to Roncessvalles (pre booked through Radio Taxi Pamplona on the web) and the cost including two bikes (they sent a mini van) was 30 euro per person. Of course the distance is much less.

Hope this helps
John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The prices in the poll was meant as price per person (my fault for not stating that).

These are early ideas, but my idea was to get a mini-bus (7 seat or 15 seat) and make the trip when there was a demand. Obviously in January there would be less demand than in August.

I have no experience with similar services and prices, and that was why I wanted to get a "reality-check" with all of you for what would be reasonable price to charge (per person) for such a trip.

I will leave the poll up for a while and see what comes out of it. Maybe there is no need for such a service? Not sure... at least the idea is a good one :)

Un saludo,
Ivar

Ivar, don't forget to include considerations for the cost of maintenance, gas, & insurance on your vehicle. :) You may want to base the times of your trips on when the flights arrive & drive time to/from Sarria & O'C. That way, you could get more passengers. An early morning run & a late afternoon run, perhaps? You might want to also offer some service on the return trip so you're not heading home "empty." Maybe an airport shuttle service for Sarria & O'C?

Ever the capitalist,
dg

I think it is a great idea, especially with the fact that people can get a good measure of you by your interaction on this site (ie. I'd certainly trust you to get me from the airport to the starting point of my walk if I was planning another trip).

Wulf

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks again for good feedback.

What I have realized during my 2 years in Galicia is that if I want a job I would need to create it. It is almost impossible to get anything if you are looking around in local businesses. I have experience IT experience from Silicon Valley, but this counts for nothing here... since firms would rather hire "family or friends"... you CV does not matter. That's my experience anyway... I have run my own IT consulting so far, and it goes quite well but I would like to expand into tourism and maybe get some employees.

I know many of you do not like the fact of trying to make money on the pilgrimage, since the whole experience is far away from the daily life of money, costs, expenses and worries... it is a more spiritual experience. But I hope that if I can offer a service that is useful and to a price that is reasonable it will be a good thing.

As I have said, it is still early on and there are a lot of permits and paperwork that needs to be done before anything will be offered. March is the first spring month with a big increase in pilgrims so maybe I will aim for that. We will see.

Thanks again, and keep it coming if you have any more comments.
Ivar

Ivar, I don't think people should mind if you made a fair profit. After all, you shouldn't have to go broke providing a service. I don't expect the people who run hostels & services along the Camino to go broke or stay poor just because I'm on a pilgrimage. Obscene profits are one thing, but making a fair profit so that you can provide for yourself & your family are not the same thing.

dg

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
ivar said:
It is almost impossible to get anything if you are looking around in local businesses. I have experience IT experience from Silicon Valley, but this counts for nothing here... since firms would rather hire "family or friends"... you CV does not matter.

you're probably in a bad part of Spain for that. If you were in, say, Madrid or Barcelona, which are much more cosmopolitan and where foreign businesses and business people are more common, I would imagine your experience would be different. Though Galicia, or at any rate Santiago, gets lots of tourists now, it is not really used to having outsiders (from elsewhere in Spain, let alone from abroad) moving in and trying to settle. The tradition is the opposite - for Galicians to leave Galicia and look for work elsewhere.

As for your project, why limit this to the Camino Frances? Fisterra, Tui or even Porto, Ferrol, Corunna, really, anywhere people want to go. Or if the CSJ for example has a do on in Miraz or Rabanal, transportation for a group of people could be very useful.

I think you should charge on a journey basis rather than per person. Your costs are per journey. If you only have 1 person on board, they would have to pay enough to cover your costs, which could be quite large depending on how you assign your overheads (depreciation of the vehicle, etc). Plus, consider combining people arriving on different flights - not practical for flights arriving at widely different times, but if a flight from say, London, arrives 30 mins before one from Hahn . . .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you were in, say, Madrid or Barcelona, which are much more cosmopolitan and where foreign businesses and business people are more common
I think you are right. Galicia is a bit behind in the economic development, it is the poorest region in Spain. But hey, Ikea next year and we've got Ryanair now... :)

As for your project, why limit this to the Camino Frances? Fisterra, Tui or even Porto, Ferrol, Corunna
My idea is just that, but it seems like the Santiago - Sarria route has the most potential so it makes sense to start there. I don't want to limit myself to pilgrims either....

I think you should charge on a journey basis rather than per person.
I thought of this, but then you as a customer will not know how much you will be paying at the time you reserve the trip. You know that it will not be more than x euros, but still. It would be great for me, but not sure how the customer would like it.

consider combining people arriving on different flights - not practical for flights arriving at widely different times
Thought of this. It seems like a departure to Sarria at 17.00 would be good (good for me anyway, maybe that would leave all my customers sleeping on the floor at the albergue in Sarria that night?). That means that I only miss the plane that arrives from Rome (at 20.20). A 21.00 departure would be quite late anyway.

With one vehicle that would mean the morning would be free for a Tui, Fisterra, Porto route.

Hi Ivar: We are two who arrive May 23, 2017 in Santiago de Compostela and will need transportation to either Sarria or O Cebreiro. Your thought for providing transportation from Santiago airport to Sarria (and surrounds) was in 2004. Anything develop? Thanks...mm

Ivar
Thinking of other Camino trails, how hard would it be to include drop off /pickup locations where different Caminos intersect? Take the Madrid up to Leon intersection where you can walk north to Ovidio then to Santiago as an example. It might increase the rides That for me would increase my willing to spend 100e. I don't know if you are aware but flights to London Gatwick from western Canada are a bargain. Then to Santiago & back. This has some very interesting possibilities for the return pilgrims who want easy access to other routes. Your startup would literally take income to very quiet parts of Spain.
Thanks for all you do
Keith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Ivar: We are two who arrive May 23, 2017 in Santiago de Compostela and will need transportation to either Sarria or O Cebreiro. Your thought for providing transportation from Santiago airport to Sarria (and surrounds) was in 2004. Anything develop? Thanks...mm

Try Empresa Freire bus from Santiago Labacolla Airport to Lugo and Monbus bus from Lugo to Sarria.

If your plan is to go to O Cebreiro ... take ALSA bus from Lugo to Piedrafita do Cebreiro. Then walk or taxi the two km uphill to O Cebreiro

There is a once daily Monbus bus in each direction from Sarria to O Cebreiro. It leaves Pedrafita (see the different spelling) do Cebreiro in the morning and Sarria in the afternoon.

If you arrive too late to take the bus ... do yourself a favor and find a place to stay for the night.

Try Empresa Freire bus from Santiago Labacolla Airport to Lugo and Monbus bus from Lugo to Sarria.

If your plan is to go to O Cebreiro ... take ALSA bus from Lugo to Piedrafita do Cebreiro. Then walk or taxi the two km uphill to O Cebreiro

There is a once daily Monbus bus in each direction from Sarria to O Cebreiro. It leaves Pedrafita (see the different spelling) do Cebreiro in the morning and Sarria in the afternoon.

If you arrive too late to take the bus ... do yourself a favor and find a place to stay for the night.
Thanks, Whariwharangi !...mm

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back