• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport Service

Travel Diva

I've hurt my foot and its sensitive but don't want to cancel my trip as I am heading out today for the Camino. I heard there are transport services for backs from hotels and Albergues - has anyone used one? Do they need to be called everyday, how much do they cost? I might use it for the Meseta.

I don't want to wreck my foot as I might have a stress fracture or in the process of getting it so its important that I try to enjoy my Camino experience as much as possible. If anyone knows of a good service and how it works please let me know, much appreciate it.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here is a handy description of how baggage transport works described by fellow Forum member Sillydoll/Amawalker is her earlier blog. http://amawalker.blogspot.fr/2013/01/slackpacking-camino-frances.html
http://amawalker.blogspot.fr/2013/01/slackpacking-camino-frances.html
"If you do not want to carry a heavy backpack every day – or are unable to walk long distances over difficult terrain – you can still do the Camino by having your pack (and yourself) transported by taxi or transport services on most of the Camino routes. Remember, you only need to walk the last 100 km to Santiago to earn the Compostela certificate, and the pilgrims’ office doesn’t care how your backpack arrives there!

In order to transfer luggage, you must have pre-booked accommodation along the way. This means that you will not be allowed to stay in the traditional ‘donation’ pilgrim albergues that do not allow pre-booking or vehicle back-up. However, many private albergues do allow pilgrims to book rooms and have their backpacks transported along the route. Have a look at the private albergues lists here:

www.redalberguessantiago.com/documents/211.html

Hotels usually have contact details of local taxis and luggage transfer service. Charges are from €7 per bag per stage. The bag should not weigh more than 12kg and a stage is up to 25km. The cost is half of that in Galicia (€3) where the number of pilgrims is much higher. If you are walking with buddy or in a group, you can share a large shopping bag to send your excess stuff ahead. This helps to keep down the cost."

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@mspath thanks for your speedy answer. I have an idea which village or town I plan to stay overnight, the thing is I wont know where I will be staying until I get there. I plan to stay at private albergues if they are a bit more liberal and if there are two private alburges I wont know until I get to the village which one has the vacancy and for me to stay. So where will the transport company deliver my bags?
I guess that means I need to book it in advance to know where I am going each day so that my bag will get there in order for me to use a transport, is that the way it works?

Here is a handy description of how baggage transport works described by fellow Forum member Sillydoll/Amawalker is her earlier blog on slackpacking.
"If you do not want to carry a heavy backpack every day – or are unable to walk long distances over difficult terrain – you can still do the Camino by having your pack (and yourself) transported by taxi or transport services on most of the Camino routes. Remember, you only need to walk the last 100 km to Santiago to earn the Compostela certificate, and the pilgrims’ office doesn’t care how your backpack arrives there!

In order to transfer luggage, you must have pre-booked accommodation along the way. This means that you will not be allowed to stay in the traditional ‘donation’ pilgrim albergues that do not allow pre-booking or vehicle back-up. However, many private albergues do allow pilgrims to book rooms and have their backpacks transported along the route. Have a look at the private albergues lists here:

www.redalberguessantiago.com/documents/211.html

Hotels usually have contact details of local taxis and luggage transfer service. Charges are from €7 per bag per stage. The bag should not weigh more than 12kg and a stage is up to 25km. The cost is half of that in Galicia (€3) where the number of pilgrims is much higher. If you are walking with buddy or in a group, you can share a large shopping bag to send your excess stuff ahead. This helps to keep down the cost."
Unfortunately the link doesn't work, I get a server error.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@mspath thanks - I just checked jacotrans - seems like they deliver packs, I can call them and let them know where to pick it up and deliver, only to Private Albergues and hotels but it really helps as my foot is really acting up. so I might carry a day pack with daily supplies and let them drop my pack until my foot is healed. I dont want to screw up my foot more as the walk is more important to me. I have long way to go, but I will get there.
http://www.jacotrans.com/p/english.html

You got about half of Margaret Meredith's message correct. Jacotran doesn't pick up pilgrims' gear from every hostel or hotel so you might find a call to them a bit frustrating, this is true for the delivery process on the other. It's normally from a municipal albergue to another municipal on the other end. The process is you pay the albergue manager 5 euros and fill out a delivery ticket for the desired destination. The whole transaction is done totally on a trust i.e. the Knights Templar. Yes, you are right you can continue your trek with a day pack however the few times I did this transport during my Camino this year I would recommend you take all your meds and a change of clothes should you run into nasty weather and can't make it to where your backpack is spending the night without you:(:eek:

Hello! I am following this thread as I,too, need to use a baggage transport service. I understand I must book ahead to know where the bag needs to be delivered. That means using private alberges. But are you now saying Jacotrans does not deliver to private hostels? The link to list of albergues is not working. At 70 I am taking the camino slowly but need more stuff than I can carry each day. I know which albergues I want to use but need to phone transport service to be sure I will be able to have bag transported. I did email Jacotrans but have not got an adequate reply.
I go to Sarria to start on Oct 5th so need information soon as my whole trip depends on baggage transfer.
Many thanks for help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The baggage services have a list of places that accept bags, so you can consult that list for booking the next night. You may not be able to do a lot of advance booking until you see that list.

The baggage services have a list of places that accept bags, so you can consult that list for booking the next night. You may not be able to do a lot of advance booking until you see that list.
Thanks! I guess I just have to let go of having to plan,eh? Let go... let God.

Hephsi,

I gather from your earlier posts that you are beginning your camino in Sarria. Have you a reservation? If so ask them about baggage transport to your next stop. Although I have never used baggage transport I have often stayed in Sarria. One private albergues that I have enjoyed is O Durminento which is centrally located on the Rúa Maior which is also the CF. They have small dorms and some individual rooms. For their Eroski page see >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-o-durminento

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You are kind, Margaret. I have booked in at Estacion on Matias Lopez, handy for the bus station which I did not realise at first.I am a little concerned that I may not be able to stay where I wish on account of no transfer company going there! Because of various difficulties I have opted for individual rooms along the way. I will not be taking a backpack apart from my daypack which will be heavy enough for me. My luggage will be in a hold-all on wheels.However I can't see dragging it over rough ground or up those hills. Do I just trust that someone will be taking bags to where I want to go?!

Unfortunately I have not yet learned as much Spanish as I had hoped so had thought I might book beds from home as that would be easier for me to handle! Any further helpful ideas? I surrender to God and the Way...

As you know Sarria well I wonder if you could tell me how early the morning Masses start on a Sunday? It will be Sunday when I start
and I would like to go to Mass first. Also, you might be able to tell me if i might be able to buy poles/sticks in Sarria late afternoon saturday. It doesn't loook ias if I can find suitable ones before I go. There may be more variety there.

Thanks again for kindness.

Hephsi,

Many pilgrims know Sarria much better than I!

However, here are some answers to your queries.

A good sporting store/shop for pilgrims is Peregrinoteca located on Benigno Quiroga 16 and near where the camino goes up hill along the rua Maior . Here is their web >> http://www.peregrinoteca.com/tienda/index.php

Listed below are two of the major churches in Sarria with the times of their masses.
Parroquia de Ntra. Sra. Del Rosario en Sarria
HORARIOS DE MISA: Domingos y festivos: a las 12:00 h Días laborables: a las 19:00 h

Parroquia Santa Marina de Sarria
HORARIO DE MISAS: Domingos y festivos: a las 12:00 h Días laborables: a las 9:00 h Diario: a las 19:30 h con Bendición del Peregrino. Teléfono de contacto: 982 53 23 57

Have you asked your hotel about baggage transfer?

Good luck and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

I am currently walking the Camino with my mom and sister. They are having their packs delivered through Jacotrans everyday. Jacotrans DOES NOT deliver to municipals. They will ask you how far you intend to go and suggest what albergues they deliver to. You are not obligated to stay there, however if your pack is quite heavy, you should research every nite where you may want to stay so you don't get stuck having to move it yourself. They are very patient and helpful and speak very good English if you need.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Guys, regarding the kit transfer by Jacotrans, I think there is a small mistake....Jacotrans will deliver to hotels. 6 of us used them in 2008 & they delivered to all our hotels along the route. Also my wife begin on 19/09/13, walking from SJPDP to Logrono & we are using Jacotrans for our kit transfers all the way & we are staying mainly in hotels...Jacotrans have confirmed it & supplied the luggage labels !!! You just have to request that they pick up & deliver to your choice.
Hepshi, just persevere with them...they are excellent & Juanjo is very nice & helpful.
Buen Camino Chaps !

Be aware some or most of the municipal or public albergues will not accept the delivery of packages or backpacks into their premises without the presence of the recipients.

I will be walking from Sarria to Santiago next week, and planned to use Jacotrans to transfer my luggage.
They have requested payment in advance (bank transfer).
Is this the normal procedure ? (I read about leaving an envelope on the luggage with next destination & cash).
Worried about a scam, so would appreciate your advice.
Thanks !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do not recommend that you pay in advance. You can arrange the service and pay each day. Jacotrans is not the only baggage service. You will find ads in the albergues for the other services.

Thanks Falcon. This is what I suspected.
Jacotrans wanted €7 per bag per ~25km. Is this the standard rate, or is it worth asking for better prices ?

I have used jacotrans twice and have been very pleased with their service. They have a long list of private lodging they deliver from/to. Typically, you can email them with a list of planned lodging ahead of time and they will respond on whether they can service and how much (7 Euros average). To arrange the same morning is also very common and convenient and probably the way.

There are very, very few municipal albergues that accept baggage without the owner present. Those who do accept baggage do NOT assign/reserve a bed UNTIL the owners shows up. I mention this because there are many who think that those who transfer do so to get advance assignment of beds at albergues and it simply does not works that way. This is only the case when they have reserved and agreed to pay more for a PRIVATE room if available, and in that case, every hotel does that, no different.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Olivares.
I will be staying in small hotels and have made reservations, so it seems I can use Jacotrans or other providers.
Nice to avoid the hassle & worry of paying in advance by bank transfer !

The quoted rate is standard. Rates seem to drop as you get closer to Santiago; perhaps there is more competition, or maybe just more pilgrims using a baggage service.

Xacotrans (Jacotrans) is the more used/reputed bag transfer company along the Camino Francés. Most if not all albergue/hostal/Hotel hospitaleros/owners know how it and others function, and can recommend according to your particular requirements. You are required to pay at the time of reserving the service.:cool:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Guys, regarding the kit transfer by Jacotrans, I think there is a small mistake....Jacotrans will deliver to hotels. 6 of us used them in 2008 & they delivered to all our hotels along the route. Also my wife begin on 19/09/13, walking from SJPDP to Logrono & we are using Jacotrans for our kit transfers all the way & we are staying mainly in hotels...Jacotrans have confirmed it & supplied the luggage labels !!! You just have to request that they pick up & deliver to your choice.
Hepshi, just persevere with them...they are excellent & Juanjo is very nice & helpful.
Buen Camino Chaps !

Ricay, I have just found this, looking back at the thread months later. I was having difficulties with managing the forum and gave up but did not give up on Jacotrans. I kept thinking that there had to be a way... They were wonderful, as you say and I booked everything in advance and was not let down at all.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back