• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport share?

aeaxs

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
Arriving in Biarritz airport on the 31st of May around 1PM Does anyone want to share transport to Saint Jean?
The more we can get the cheaper it will be!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you are referring to Express Bouricott, it is likely that the shuttle will be full. They only take reservations, so any of those interested need to contact them soon, otherwise they might not have a space available.

Two people looking to share a ride from Biarritz to St Jean on June 2. Plane arrives at 12:00, but we are flexible with the time. Please let us know if you are interested in sharing a ride. Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
aeaxs and Barbdymond,

The fastest way to SJPP is to stand outside the aurport doors and ask everyone who comes out carrying a backpack if they are going there too. It will not take long to find three pilgrims willing to share a taxi. Individual cost will likely be in the 25 to 30 euro range and you will all be there in an hour.

aeaxs and Barbdymond,

The fastest way to SJPP is to stand outside the aurport doors and ask everyone who comes out carrying a backpack if they are going there too. It will not take long to find three pilgrims willing to share a taxi. Individual cost will likely be in the 25 to 30 euro range and you will all be there in an hour.

If we get to St Jean at 2:15 or so... would you start your trek to Orrison or stay in St. Jean? We only have 3.5 weeks on the Camino.

If we get to St Jean at 2:15 or so... would you start your trek to Orrison or stay in St. Jean? We only have 3.5 weeks on the Camino.

Do you have reservations made at Orisson? If not, then staying there may not be possible because of its popularity. Folks make reservations weeks and months in advance.

If you do have reservations, Orisson has a time cut-off for keeping that reservation of 6:30 PM. So, a lot depends on how long it takes for you to leave out of St. Jean, how fast you are able to walk the 8 kilometers of the steepest gradient of the Napoleon ... which is the section from SJPdP to Orisson.

The other option is to arrange with Express Bouricott to take you from St Jean to Orisson.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do you have reservations made at Orisson? If not, then staying there may not be possible because of its popularity. Folks make reservations weeks and months in advance.

If you do have reservations, Orisson has a time cut-off for keeping that reservation of 6:30 PM. So, a lot depends on how long it takes for you to leave out of St. Jean, how fast you are able to walk the 8 kilometers of the steepest gradient of the Napoleon ... which is the section from SJPdP to Orisson.

The other option is to arrange with Express Bouricott to take you from St Jean to Orisson.

Yes, we have reservations for the 3rd of June. They said they have openings on the 2nd and the 3rd. Not sure how long the hike will take. I think we want to hike it since that is why we are there. St Jean looks cute and probably fun to explore. Where did you stay there? Would you stay at a place that has room only and go to to eat versus a B and B style?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes, we have reservations for the 3rd of June. They said they have openings on the 2nd and the 3rd. Not sure how long the hike will take. I think we want to hike it since that is why we are there. St Jean looks cute and probably fun to explore. Where did you stay there? Would you stay at a place that has room only and go to to eat versus a B and B style?

If there are openings and you want to stay on either of those dates, make your reservations ASAP; they can be completo within a short time since you last checked.

Last year I stayed at Chambres d'Hôtes Maison E. Bernat, which had a good breakfast. This September I will be at Gite Makila. I look at accomodations for sleeping and relaxing, and I don't worry about whether they serve meals. If they do, that's fine, but it isn't important to me.

If you have a choice, spend the night in St Jean, then enjoy a relaxed late morning leisurely departure to Orisson.

If there are openings and you want to stay on either of those dates, make your reservations ASAP; they can be completo within a short time since you last checked.

Last year I stayed at Chambres d'Hôtes Maison E. Bernat, which had a good breakfast. This September I will be at Gite Makila. I look at accomodations for sleeping and relaxing, and I don't worry about whether they serve meals. If they do, that's fine, but it isn't important to me.

If you have a choice, spend the night in St Jean, then enjoy a relaxed late morning leisurely departure to Orisson.

Sounds good! We are thinking of staying at Beilari. They offer dinner, but I am thinking it might be fun to eat out since we will be eat camino food a lot. Not sure what to expect. Gite Makila looks very nice and reasonable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds good! We are thinking of staying at Beilari. They offer dinner, but I am thinking it might be fun to eat out since we will be eat camino food a lot. Not sure what to expect. Gite Makila looks very nice and reasonable.
I assure you that dinner at Beilari is definitely not typical Camino fare. (not a french fry in sight. :D) And it's a great chance to meet fellow pilgrims.

I assure you that dinner at Beilari is definitely not typical Camino fare. (not a french fry in sight. :D) And it's a great chance to meet fellow pilgrims.

OK, then I will keep our reservation there. It looked like a fun way to start our trip. Thanks for your advice! Hoping not to have to make reservations after Orrison. What is typical Camino fare?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As mentioned, Orisson may be fully booked as it is quite popular, However, there is an option. I took the Valcarlos Route and stayed in the Municipal Albergue with only three other ladies on May 7/18. It is a brand new renovation and the blankets were very warm on new beds. That first 12 km is not a rough walk at all, as it helps the body adjust to the work of daily walking. Their capacity is 12, (6 Bunkbeds). 10 euros gets a bed and a light breakfast.

Other advantages are, Valcarlos is 12 km with 12 km the next day but with the last few km rather steep. It is still less of a climb than the Napoleon Route. So, overall climb is less to Roncesvalles. On Day 2, if the climb does not sap all your strength, another 6 km will get you to Espinal where there a number of albergue choices.

Do a search here for

Valcarlos

and see what comes up. I do recommend sticking with more recent posts. There is a process of stopping in to the local Bar to get the Lock Code to get into the Albergue. And someone comes in around 5 PM to collect the fees and to match payments with occupied beds.

As mentioned, Orisson may be fully booked as it is quite popular, However, there is an option. I took the Valcarlos Route and stayed in the Municipal Albergue with only three other ladies on May 7/18. It is a brand new renovation and the blankets were very warm on new beds. That first 12 km is not a rough walk at all, as it helps the body adjust to the work of daily walking. Their capacity is 12, (6 Bunkbeds). 10 euros gets a bed and a light breakfast.

Other advantages are, Valcarlos is 12 km with 12 km the next day but with the last few km rather steep. It is still less of a climb than the Napoleon Route. So, overall climb is less to Roncesvalles. On Day 2, if the climb does not sap all your strength, another 6 km will get you to Espinal where there a number of albergue choices.

Do a search here for

Valcarlos

and see what comes up. I do recommend sticking with more recent posts. There is a process of stopping in to the local Bar to get the Lock Code to get into the Albergue. And someone comes in around 5 PM to collect the fees and to match payments with occupied beds.

Since most people really like St. Jean and we have reservations at Orisson for the 3rd, I think will will stick to the plan and take our time. This site is very helpful!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Since most people really like St. Jean and we have reservations at Orisson for the 3rd, I think will will stick to the plan and take our time. This site is very helpful!
I was not aware that there was a reservation at Orisson, sorry. But for anyone looking for a more solitary experience, Valcarlos seems to be able to off it, even now. I saw no one until I arrived in Valcarlos itselfm except for two young men on bicycles, that I passed, twice, lol.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back