• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport up and down the Pyrenees to SJPDP?

Unie

Irish in QLD Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, May 2019
Folks, I plan on walking the CF in April 19, I have just turned 60 and have no intentions of breaking any speed or endurance records as I have all the time in the world to take myself on this walk.
I don’t want to walk all the way from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one go and because I don’t want to be restricted to dates I’m unable to book Orisson...so my question is.......can I head off walking from St Jean and walk perhaps to Orisson or a bit further and get transport back, then transport back from St Jean to the same spot the next day and continue on. Thank you in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome Unie,

The vast majority of day one is walked along roads so I can't see it being a problem arranging for transport, the only issue would be communicating where you are if you didn't stop at a recognisable landmark like Orrison.

Another idea would be to take the Valcarlos route which may give you more accomodation options.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Welcome Unie,

The vast majority of day one is walked along roads so I can't see it being a problem arranging for transport, the only issue would be communicating where you are if you didn't stop at a recognisable landmark like Orrison.

Another idea would be to take the Valcarlos route which may give you more accomodation options.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
Thanks Rob, I hadn’t even considered the V route, I just had it in my head I was climbing up and over the Pyrenees. You have given me something to think about. Thanks so much. Una.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Valcarlos route does not mean you are not climbing! If you take the Valcarlos route you get the heaviest part of the climbing in the end, after Valcarlos. That climbing part is not along the road, it is on a path through the mountains so it will be difficult to be picked up by a taxi. Keep also in mind that you can not have telephone connection everywhere, you are in the mountains.

The Route Napoleon has the heaviest climbing in the beginning, so a night in Orisson is a great opportunity to make the walk the next day much easier.

Last April, I was 67. I started my walk on the Napoleon route, without carrying the loaded backpack, at 7:30 in the morning, one step at a time, and reached the albergue around 5:30 in the afternoon meeting the folks who over-passed me along the climb.

PS: It took me 10 hour to reach the destination as I had to stop and puff every 10 steps while walking up Pyrenees. As such, I earned a nickname as "A snail on the trail".

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
because I don’t want to be restricted to dates I’m unable to book Orisson..

@Unie it is a little early to book with Orisson anyway yet - maybe in a few months you will have a definite start date? You don't need to restrict yourself to dates once you start, but you will probably have to decide at some point which day you will set off from St Jean. Then you could book for that night at Orisson if you want to. Unless you prefer to just see how you go on the day, in which case your idea of arranging transport back from Orisson if you have had enough by then sounds a good plan. I think it would be difficult to do so from a point further on than that, though, so the Valcarlos route could give you the opportunity to break the day into more even parts. You would not easily be able to call for transport between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles though.

There is a company a few doors down from where you get your passport, same side of the street, that deliver luggage. If you call in to them the day before you walk they will pick you up at the bar in orrison at 14:30 and bring you back down and then bring you back up next morning at 8:30. Used it myself just a week ago and it worked well . Cost 8 euro each way but was worth it

@Unie it is a little early to book with Orisson anyway yet - maybe in a few months you will have a definite start date? You don't need to restrict yourself to dates once you start, but you will probably have to decide at some point which day you will set off from St Jean. Then you could book for that night at Orisson if you want to. Unless you prefer to just see how you go on the day, in which case your idea of arranging transport back from Orisson if you have had enough by then sounds a good plan. I think it would be difficult to do so from a point further on than that, though, so the Valcarlos route could give you the opportunity to break the day into more even parts. You would not easily be able to call for transport between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles though.
Thanks for responding, I thought I had to book Orrison yonks in advance and I don’t want to do it all in one day to Ron. My plan is to take my time and to not overdo it especially not at the beginning. I’m travelling from Australia and may rail / train from Paris and meander my way to SJPDP so I don’t want a firm start date. I think I have some sort of restriction phobia since I turned 60! Thanks again

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Valcarlos route does not mean you are not climbing! If you take the Valcarlos route you get the heaviest part of the climbing in the end, after Valcarlos. That climbing part is not along the road, it is on a path through the mountains so it will be difficult to be picked up by a taxi. Keep also in mind that you can not have telephone connection everywhere, you are in the mountains.

The Route Napoleon has the heaviest climbing in the beginning, so a night in Orisson is a great opportunity to make the walk the next day much easier.
Thanks Ianinam, that’s good info, much appreciated

Last April, I was 67. I started my walk on the Napoleon route, without carrying the loaded backpack, at 7:30 in the morning, one step at a time, and reached the albergue around 5:30 in the afternoon meeting the folks who over-passed me along the climb.

PS: It took me 10 hour to reach the destination as I had to stop and puff every 10 steps while walking up Pyrenees. As such, I earned a nickname as "A snail on the trail".
Good on you, a snail gets there in the end, well done.

There is a company in St Jean that goes up that hill and back down. You can walk to Orisson, shuttle back down and shuttle back the next am.
That’s just what I needed to know, thanks Gloria.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a company a few doors down from where you get your passport, same side of the street, that deliver luggage. If you call in to them the day before you walk they will pick you up at the bar in orrison at 14:30 and bring you back down and then bring you back up next morning at 8:30. Used it myself just a week ago and it worked well . Cost 8 euro each way but was worth it
Paul that is perfect and just what I want. I won’t have to worry about booking Orisson and I’ll use my day pack for the first day.
Much appreciated, thank you for the info.

Folks, I plan on walking the CF in April 19, I have just turned 60 and have no intentions of breaking any speed or endurance records as I have all the time in the world to take myself on this walk.
I don’t want to walk all the way from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one go and because I don’t want to be restricted to dates I’m unable to book Orisson...so my question is.......can I head off walking from St Jean and walk perhaps to Orisson or a bit further and get transport back, then transport back from St Jean to the same spot the next day and continue on. Thank you in advance.
Yes. I met someone in June who had done just that.

The simple answer is Yes.
This company. https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/
Scroll down the page on the link, and see Mountain Shuttle.
Either book online or see them when you get there. They now have an office just down from the Pilgrims office (same side of street)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

If using transport as a shuttle to take you back and forth to St Jean that first day and the next, a nice stopping point on Route Napoleon would be at the Virgen of Orisson. That gets you about halfway to Roncesvalles, and you will have walked about 12 kilometers. You will have covered the steepest part on that 1st day and then can return to get a good night's rest. The shuttle will return you the next day to the Virgen, and it will be a much easier day into Roncesvalles.

Because you can take a full day to cover that 12 kilometers, there is ample time to take a nice, easy pace, have plenty of rest breaks, enjoy a bocadillo at Orisson, and a good amount of time to enjoy the views and scenery.

image003.jpg

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Orisson overflow, aka Kayola, which is 1 km from Orisson is also an option... or maybe even some of the other albergues along the way before the steepest part of the climb are an option?

If you look around the centre of this map of St Jean Pied de Port (see below) you will find, a blue, pin titled 'Beilari' this is a hostel and directly over the road is the Camino office where you can buy your Camino passport. They can offer you a lift to near the top of the Napolean Route and from there it's an easy walk to the top and then the steep descent into Roncesvalles if you want to avoid the walk up?

Or you could ask them if they would come and pick you up in the late afternoon to drive you back down to St Jean after you have walked up and to then drive you back up there the next day to finish your walking into Roncesvalles?

Beilari is a great hostel to stay in for your start on the Frances. They insist you be there for dinner as they have a meet and greet with all their walkers. I kept on meeting people from there on the Camino. It was lovely to meet 'friends' again and again.

Buen Camino Unie.

St Jean Pied de Port.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you look around the centre of this map of St Jean Pied de Port (see below) you will find, a blue, pin titled 'Beilari' this is a hostel and directly over the road is the Camino office where you can buy your Camino passport. They can offer you a lift to near the top of the Napolean Route and from there it's an easy walk to the top and then the steep descent into Roncesvalles if you want to avoid the walk up?

Or you could ask them if they would come and pick you up in the late afternoon to drive you back down to St Jean after you have walked up and to then drive you back up there the next day to finish your walking into Roncesvalles?

Beilari is a great hostel to stay in for your start on the Frances. They insist you be there for dinner as they have a meet and greet with all their walkers. I kept on meeting people from there on the Camino. It was lovely to meet 'friends' again and again.

Buen Camino Unie.

View attachment 44663
If using transport as a shuttle to take you back and forth to St Jean that first day and the next, a nice stopping point on Route Napoleon would be at the Virgen of Orisson. That gets you about halfway to Roncesvalles, and you will have walked about 12 kilometers. You will have covered the steepest part on that 1st day and then can return to get a good night's rest. The shuttle will return you the next day to the Virgen, and it will be a much easier day into Roncesvalles.

Because you can take a full day to cover that 12 kilometers, there is ample time to take a nice, easy pace, have plenty of rest breaks, enjoy a bocadillo at Orisson, and a good amount of time to enjoy the views and scenery.

image003.jpg
Thanks davebugg, this info is greatly appreciated.

Buen Camino Unie.

View attachment 44663
Thanks Lance, I do want to walk it all but want to break it up. I’m now armed with great info from you amazing folk here and I feel very positive. I’d hate for my Camino to finish early because of over doing it in the early stages.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You might be able to persuade a taxi driver to either take you down or bring you up the other road beside the one you walked up. Then you could see a bit of the Camino between SJPdP and Valcarlos.

You might be able to persuade a taxi driver to either take you down or bring you up the other road beside the one you walked up. Then you could see a bit of the Camino between SJPdP and Valcarlos.
Thanks Rick, I think the Express Bourricot service is just what I want.

There is a company in St Jean that goes up that hill and back down. You can walk to Orisson, shuttle back down and shuttle back the next am.

Been there. Done that. Works well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back