Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation along the Invierno

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017-Camino Primitivo
April 2019-Camino de Invierno
I thought I read something about this on a thread recently but I can't find it. Is thre a possibility of taking a bus or tax from a place like penasillas (casa rural in Viana specifically) directly to Rodeiro?

Due to some new circumstances I need to cut my trip to 14 days and don't want any days above 20km. I know I will have 2 that are around 22km and that's fine. So I'm trying to figure this out.
This is the best I've come up with so far:

1. Ponferrada- Las Medulas 18.8 KM geta ride to mile 8 and start from further outside of Ponferrada in Villalibre de la Jurisdicción to make this an shorter first day stage
2. Las Medulas-Puente de Sobradelo- 17.5KM
3. Sobradelo--O Barco 18.3KM
4. O Barco-A Rua 14.2KM
5. A Rua-Quiroga 20 KM get a ride to a point 7km past A Rua and avoid all the road walking making this stage only 20KM.
6. Quiroga- A Pobra do Brollón 22.9KM
7. A Pobra do Brollón -Monforte 20KM
8. Monforte-Villariño (casa rural is ¼ mile off the trail) 14KM
9. Vilariño- Chantada 16KM
10. Chantada-Penasillas (casa rural in San Pedro de Viana will transfer from Penasillas) 9KM
11. Penasillas-Rodeiro 17KM
12. Rodeiro-Lalin 21.3
13. Lalin-Silleda 15.6KM
14. Silleda-Ponte Ulla 20KM
15. Ponte Ulla-Santiago 21.2KM

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I thought I read something about this on a thread recently but I can't find it. Is thre a possibility of taking a bus or tax from a place like penasillas (casa rural in Viana specifically) directly to Rodeiro?

Due to some new circumstances I need to cut my trip to 14 days and don't want any days above 20km. I know I will have 2 that are around 22km and that's fine. So I'm trying to figure this out.
This is the best I've come up with so far:

1. Ponferrada- Las Medulas 18.8 KM geta ride to mile 8 and start from further outside of Ponferrada in Villalibre de la Jurisdicción to make this an shorter first day stage
2. Las Medulas-Puente de Sobradelo- 17.5KM
3. Sobradelo--O Barco 18.3KM
4. O Barco-A Rua 14.2KM
5. A Rua-Quiroga 20 KM get a ride to a point 7km past A Rua and avoid all the road walking making this stage only 20KM.
6. Quiroga- A Pobra do Brollón 22.9KM
7. A Pobra do Brollón -Monforte 20KM
8. Monforte-Villariño (casa rural is ¼ mile off the trail) 14KM
9. Vilariño- Chantada 16KM
10. Chantada-Penasillas (casa rural in San Pedro de Viana will transfer from Penasillas) 9KM
11. Penasillas-Rodeiro 17KM
12. Rodeiro-Lalin 21.3
13. Lalin-Silleda 15.6KM
14. Silleda-Ponte Ulla 20KM
15. Ponte Ulla-Santiago 21.2KM
Hola!

I don't know about buses but since you need just two transports and both are at the starting point in towns you won't have any problem getting a taxi. Usual fare in Spain is 1€/km, more or less. And CR in San pedro could also take you back to Penasillas.
I would suggest to make all arrangements previous day.

Buen Camino!

Lots of work went into that itinerary! Getting a taxi will be easy, as Kinky says. Just wondering how you picked that stage to skip. It’s a nice one, virtually all off road, with the walk up to Alto de Faro and the great views. The walk across the windmill ridge is eerie, I will admit. But hey you have to skip something to make it work.

You didn’t ask, and as I always tell my students, I love giving my opinion, but never expect anyone to follow it. I think that of the stages you list I would choose to miss either Pobra do Brollón to Monforte or Sobradelo to Barco. But it’s none of my business of course. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Definitely skip A Pobra de Brollon to Monforte de Lemos (especially in wet conditions) rather than Penasillas to Rodeiro. Or even skip Monforte to Vilarino.
I'm not an advocate for skipping parts but if there's no other way to do it so be it.

Lots of work went into that itinerary! Getting a taxi will be easy, as Kinky says. Just wondering how you picked that stage to skip. It’s a nice one, virtually all off road, with the walk up to Alto de Faro and the great views. The walk across the windmill ridge is eerie, I will admit. But hey you have to skip something to make it work.

You didn’t ask, and as I always tell my students, I love giving my opinion, but never expect anyone to follow it. I think that of the stages you list I would choose to miss either Pobra do Brollón to Monforte or Sobradelo to Barco. But it’s none of my business of course. :)
I was going just based off of distance and lodging. I will rework skipping the stages you mention and see how that works. Thanks!

Definitely skip A Pobra de Brollon to Monforte de Lemos (especially in wet conditions) rather than Penasillas to Rodeiro. Or even skip Monforte to Vilarino.
I'm not an advocate for skipping parts but if there's no other way to do it so be it.

And just a follow-up because I hadn’t seen Kinky’s suggestions but they are good too, IMO. Monforte to Vilariño is another good candidate to drop if that worked out better. I’m not saying these are “missable” but I think if you have to cut somewhere it’s another good option. And getting a cab in Monforte is likely to be easiest since it’s the biggest town. Also worth an hour or two to enjoy before hopping in the cab if you have time!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Wait, I just realized I don’t know what stage you are referring to that I’m skipping. Are you referring to the Quiroga stage that I shortened? I am looking at getting a boost at 2 stages, not skipping any all together.

Wait, I just realized I don’t know what stage you are referring to that I’m skipping. Are you referring to the Quiroga stage that I shortened? I am looking at getting a boost at 2 stages, not skipping any all together.
Oh, yes, I am confused. o_O You said in your original post that you needed to cut your walk to 14 days and you listed 15 stages. So I thought you meant skipping one of them. Are you walking all of those stages and are looking for ways to cut a few kms off of several of them?

Oh, yes, I am confused. o_O You said in your original post that you needed to cut your walk to 14 days and you listed 15 stages. So I thought you meant skipping one of them. Are you walking all of those stages and are looking for ways to cut a few kms off of several of them?
Yeah, I want to do it in 16 or 17 days but we have a friend going with us and he can only get away for what would be 14 days of walking. The best I could do was 15 days.
I think maybe our friend will have to meet 2-3 into our walk, or I'll have to cut out a stage altogether which we really don't want to do. I'm pretty sure that with my plantar fasciitis I won't be able to do 25 or 30 km day. From the ankles up I have the stamina, just need new feet :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back