• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation (and bus) strike

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
There is a transportation strike building in and around Galicia. At first I thought it only was affecting the transport of gods and packages, but I now realize that it has started to affect bus services in Galicia as well.

I do not know if the strike is for all companies or for how many routes, but Pilgrim was telling me last night that some busses out to Finisterre from Santiago were canceled due to the strike yesterday.

They strike due to the high gasoline prices, so I am assuming it will not affect trains or air traffic.

I will keep an aye open and let you know when I see any more news on this.

Ivar

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There have been several stories on this strike in the news lately, but no mention of any bus strike. I have also seen busses on the roads, so it looks to be ok if you are planning to take a bus in Galicia within the next few days.

But the transportation strike leads to other problems. Grocery stores are starting to run out of fresh fish and fruit/vegetables would think this would be a problem for restaurants as well.

Ivar

Bus Strike

On Sunday, (10/10/05) other pilgrims informed me that there was a strike effecting the buses to Finisterra the following day - I had planned to 'bus' to Finisterra having failed to walk there last time. So on Monday morning I went to the 'Tourist Information' in Santiago. There the lady informed me that because of a strike there would be only one bus that day to Finisterra, (I do not know if that is any different to usual, for although she confirmed the idea of a strike, she seemed somewhat vague as to its effect).

Given this vagueness of information I took a bus to Coruna instead - Coruna being the other starting point of my Camino Ingles. At Coruna bus station there was evidence of some sort of 'action'. Parked just inside the entrance to the station was a white caravan with a large banner. The banner, obviously someone's white sheet, was inscribed in big black 'felt tip pen' ARRIVA REINTEGRAR', or words to that effect. Several men were there at the van. I took it to be an action to get someone who had been dismissed re-employed.

That is the total of my knowledge on the subject. PILGRIM

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the update pilgrim.

So it looks like one should be aware of some sort of strike/slow down on busses in Galicia.

If I find out more on this I will post it here.

Ivar

This strike has just gone from a strike in Galicia only to the whole of Spain as of today. I heard on the radio earlier that they are negotiating and that things may be solved soon. But as of now, the strike is now on for all of Spain.

The bus company ARRIVA is on strike (picture of tires burning at the bus station in La Coruña in the papers).

We tried to order some more bricks, sand and cement for our house yesterday, but no luck. The truck that they use for delivery is stranded.

There are also reports of strike-guards patrolling mayor highways and puncturing trucks that are still on the road. :roll:

A Swedish truck driver got a big stone through the wind shield of his truck yesterday. The stone was quite heavy, thrown from a bridge and landed next to him on his seat. The truck got major damages, the Swede got away with minor injuries. This is serious stuff.... :roll:

I did see at least one MonBus on the road today, so I don't think the strike is 100% for all busses.

More later,
Ivar

I just saw the news on tv and this strike is now over.

2005101713144.JPG

Some more pictures here:
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/albumes/in ... 5101713055

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back