• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation between cities

Tom M.

Time of past OR future Camino
first time July 2014
I will be on the Camino Frances from July 9 until July 26. I realize that is not enough time to complete the entire walk but I want to start in St. Jean. Somewhere along the way I will have to leap forward in oder to be in Santiago de Compostela sometime around July 24. Will there be any problems arranging transportation? Bus? Train? etc.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will be on the Camino Frances from July 9 until July 26. I realize that is not enough time to complete the entire walk but I want to start in St. Jean. Somewhere along the way I will have to leap forward in order to be in Santiago de Compostela sometime around July 24. Will there be any problems arranging transportation? Bus? Train? etc.

It is relatively easy to leap frog from one of the larger towns (e.g. Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Sahagun) along the Camino to another larger town. Transportation between smaller towns is also available, but not as frequent (but a taxi ride can overcome these kinds of issues). With your limited time, you might want to consider walking SJPP to Pamplona (3 days) and then leap frogging ahead to either Astorga (traditionally 11 days from Santiago) or Ponferrada (traditionally 9 days from Santiago) depending on how far you intend to walk each day.

Check out the Alsa (bus) and Renfe (train) websites for timetables. As your leap will be quite a big one it may involve connecting somewhere like Burgos/Leon etc, and you'll want to minimise that connection time. One thing to be aware of if you're connecting in Burgos is that the train station is miles outside the city centre, so if connecting from bus-train or vice versa you'd need to get a bus/taxi between the two.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I guesstimate you have enough time for about half the Camino Frances. So, I have two sugestions: 1) plan you "leap-frog" either 4 times so that you minimize missing large chunks of the Camino. For example, I saw quite a bit of pilgrims "leap-frogging" from Fromista to Leon. That's about 115 Kms or about 5 days. I saw the bus leaving early so you actually could continue walking from Leon. You will have to pick similar sections along the Camino. The second suggestion is that you skip Logroño-Astorga. That's about 370 Kms; 15 days. This way, if you ever want to return to complete the whole Camino Frances you only have one continuous section with anchor cities that are accesible and with very good public transportation options to come in/out. Another option is to skip the Meseta (Burgos-Astorga), which is about 240 Kms (9-10 days). I loved the Meseta so this is a tough call.

If I was forced to make a desicion, I would bus/train Logroño-Astorga. Buen Camino!

Tom:
Being in your same shoes, we found two options that we are weighing.
  • There is a night train from Barcelona to A Coruna that passes through Longrono, Leon, Astorga, and Ponferrada. You can catch it, sleep on the way and then start fresh the next morning. Just be forewarned that the train will be late night for you, with an start straight from the train station.
  • You can rent a car one way and drive to your next destination. It is about the same cost as the Trenhotel, but gives you a bit more flexibility.
Just more ideas.
Rambler

Traditionally the 'entire walk' starts at the door of your home and walking back again - everything else is a modern construction ;-) Additionally, if you skip part of the way you are also, most likely, loosing your new-found camino friends/family - something to think about. Why don't you simply start where you want to start, see how far you get and continue next year?
Buen Camino! SY

I will be on the Camino Frances from July 9 until July 26. I realize that is not enough time to complete the entire walk but I want to start in St. Jean. Somewhere along the way I will have to leap forward in oder to be in Santiago de Compostela sometime around July 24. Will there be any problems arranging transportation? Bus? Train? etc.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks. If I decide to jump from Estella--Lizarra to Sarriais there train/bus service?

Thanks. If I decide to jump from Estella--Lizarra to Sarriais there train/bus service?

Places like Estella are served only by bus. Estellesa provides service between Pamplona and Logrono. A transfer will be required at Logrono, (Jiminez) Burgos, (ALSA) Leon (ALSA) and probably Ponferrada (ALSA) too. Finally there is a bus (Monbus) from Lugo to Sarria.

So the tactics are probably best served by getting to a town with a train station and take a Renfe train.

adif manages Renfe stations Spain. See the map under 'infraestructura y estaciones/estaciones'.
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/conoceradif/conoceradif.shtml

Places like Estella are served only by bus. Estellesa provides service between Pamplona and Logrono. A transfer will be required at Logrono, (Jiminez) Burgos, (ALSA) Leon (ALSA) and probably Ponferrada (ALSA) too. Finally there is a bus (Monbus) from Lugo to Sarria.

So the tactics are probably best served by getting to a town with a train station and take a Renfe train.

adif manages Renfe stations Spain. See the map under 'infraestructura y estaciones/estaciones'.
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/conoceradif/conoceradif.shtml
thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Tom,

Bus from Estella to Logrono then train to Sarria (9 1/2 hours total time) is the fastest connection shown on Rome2Rio.com

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back