• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation from Biarritz to Irun June '15

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
i am thinking of walking the camino north in June 2015. I am searching for flight tickets and I just wanted to know how I could get from Biarritz to irun. Last summer I went from Biarritz to sjpp with a rented car along with two other piligrams but I don't rememeber the name of the girl that run the company.... Can anyone help me on that?
Also my flight from Greece will be arriving in Biarritz around 9 at night,how far is by car Irun?
Is there another way to reach Irun or I have to fly to Biarritz only?
I have one more question if anyone can suggest how many days I will need for the north - primitivo way? I just want to have an idea so I can book my return tickets.
I did the Frances in 27 days although I had planned 33 for the walks bit some days I walked 2 stages.
Any information would be helpful.
Buen camino to everyone!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The "standard" stages are 34 for the Camino del Norte. You can take the train from the Biarritz airport station to Hendaye/Irun as well as a bus.

Taxi: http://www.biarritzairporttransfers.com/

From the Airport, you can get to Biarritz-La Négresse train station using Chronoplus line C . The journey time is about 10 minutes. You can also get to Bayonne train station on the Chronoplus network. In this case, the journey time is about 30 minutes. For more information, please consult the Chronoplus urban transport network website.

Destination From Monday to Sunday Ticket available 1hour Ticket available 24hours
Airport-Biarritz train station Chronoplus line C €1.00 €2.00
Airport- Bayonne train station Chronoplus n°14 €1.00 €2.00

Starting from the Airport, the ATCRB runs a regular bus route to Hendaye, stopping at Biarritz-La Négresse train station and then in the towns of Bidart, Guéthary, St-Jean-de-Luz and finally Hendaye. To get to the inland Basque Country, the Landes Coast or the Béarn region, you must first go to Bayonne train station on the Chronoplus urban transport network.

For more information, please consult the website:www.transports64.fr

Destination From Monday to Sunday
Airport - Hendaye Transports64 n°816

Visit the website: www.PESA.net

The PESA line runs from the Airport or Biarritz town centre to San Sebastián. For details of prices and timetables, please consult the PESA website (tickets can be purchased directly on the bus).

Destination Validité Départ Arrivée Tarifs
Airport-Irun Every day 16:30 17:15
Airport - Saint Sébastien Every day 09:00 09:45
Airport - Saint Sébastien Every day 14:00
14:45
Airport - Saint Sébastien Every day 20:30
21:15
Airport - Saint Sébastien Every day 22:15 23:00
Airport- Irun-San Sebastian-Bilbao Every day 12:20 13:20(Irun)-13:40(San Seb)-13:40(Bilbao)
Airport- Irun-San Sebastian-Bilbao Every day 18:50 19:50(Irun)-20:10(San Seb)-21:40(Bilbao)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Angeliki,

Just so you know, the albergue in Irun usually closes at 10 or 10:30pm, so even if you catch a bus or train from Biarritz, you'll probably have to spend the night in a hotel. (Actually, I have found that many of the hostels and hotels in the Biarritz region close quite early, even in summer, so you might want to check reception hours before booking anything!)

If there are late buses or trains from Biarritz Airport all the way to San Sebastian (as posted above), you might want to choose this option, as San Sebastian is a popular surfer/ tourist town and they definitely have a couple of backpackers with 24 hour reception. You can then catch a cheap local train (Euskotren) back to Irun to start your pilgrimage the next day, only takes 30 mins and costs €2 or €3 (NB if you want to check out times online, remember that in Basque some of the names change - San Sebastian is 'Donostia'!)

The other alternative is to fly to any major destination in France or Spain, and catch a train directly to Hendaye or Irun the next day to make sure you get to the albergue in time. (p.s. If booking with French transport, you have to specify Hendaye as the destination, and Irun if using Spanish transport! They are right next door to each other, just a few minutes to cross the 'border' into each town)

Good luck! Happy to help if you have any other questions...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.