• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation from Bilbao to Leon

Ileanadg

Time of past OR future Camino
I will walking El Camino on Sep 2015
Hi

I will be arriving in Bilbao on September 14 early afternoon. It seems that the train that I was going to take from Bilbao to Leon is not longer available.
- I have not been able to find a bus from Bilbao to Leon. If someone know of a late bus could you please let me know.
My second option is to share a car -
- Is anyone arriving this day from Bilbao that will like to share rent-a-car with me?

Thanks and buen camino ....

Ileana

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi

I will be arriving in Bilbao on September 14 early afternoon. It seems that the train that I was going to take from Bilbao to Leon is not longer available.
- I have not been able to find a bus from Bilbao to Leon. If someone know of a late bus could you please let me know.
- Is anyone arriving this day from Bilbao that will like to share rent-a-car with me?

Ileana
Hi Ileana, on the Camino just a couple of weeks ago more than just a couple of Spaniards told me about BlaBlaCar for ride-sharing! For economic, carbon-footprint and location to location reasons. Maybe that would help? I've googled it and it's an interesting option. Buen Camino, Teresa y Luke

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If I were landing in Bilbao I would just start walking the Norte, straight from Bilbao. Beautiful, good infrastructure supporting pilgrims, nice balance of quiet and busy, interesting towns.

Why not take a bus to Burgos, stay overnight and sightsee, then proceed by bus next day to Leon.

Hi

Ileana
Hi Ileana, as already stated by Kanga and Margaret I think that are the best options for you.
Wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You have several options to reach León from Bilbao on the day but I would have liked to know your arrival time to Bilbao because early afternoon is a bit vague and half an hour can make a difference... Anyway, the direct bus from Bilbao to León departs in the morning so it isn't an option to you. The direct train using the Iberian gauge railway departs in the morning too so it isn't an option for you either.

Some options that might suit you:

To take the slow direct narrow gauge (RENFE) FEVE train from Bilbao to León that crosses some nice areas but that takes 7h. 30m. to make the route. It departs from Bilbao at 14:30 and doesn't arrive to León till 22:00. Bring your own entertaiment and supplies if you feel you might need it/them along the route. For more info www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/feve/index.html (just in Spanish).

To make the route by bus changing buses in Burgos. You would need to take the 15:00 bus from Bilbao to Burgos in order to arrive to Burgos early enough as to take the last bus to León (departing from Burgos at 17:20 and arriving to León at 19:20).

To make the route by bus changing buses in Oviedo. You could depart from Bilbao at 1630 and arrive to León at 22:00 with 25 minutes to change buses in Oviedo.

To make the route by train changing trains in Valladolid means a detour but it's the option with the later departure from Bilbao. You could take the 17:08 train to Valladolid that would allow you to take the 21:15 train from Valladolid to León arriving to León at 23:07.

For bus info, take a look at the web of Alsa (www.alsa.es/en). For train info, take a look at the web of RENFE (www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html). In both cases make a separate search for each leg of the route.

Hi

Ileana

Inmo Bilbao is a great city to overnight in. It houses the iconic Guggenheim and other good Museum/Galleries with wonderful architecture etc as you walk to them from a historic "Old" town- full of night life and hostels. Short bus ride from airport to centre, You could then get an early morning bus or more comfortable train-about 9am-to Leon. Buen camino

You have several options to reach León from Bilbao on the day but I would have liked to know your arrival time to Bilbao because early afternoon is a bit vague and half an hour can make a difference... Anyway, the direct bus from Bilbao to León departs in the morning so it isn't an option to you. The direct train using the Iberian gauge railway departs in the morning too so it isn't an option for you either.

Some options that might suit you:

To take the slow direct narrow gauge (RENFE) FEVE train from Bilbao to León that crosses some nice areas but that takes 7h. 30m. to make the route. It departs from Bilbao at 14:30 and doesn't arrive to León till 22:00. Bring your own entertaiment and supplies if you feel you might need it/them along the route. For more info www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/feve/index.html (just in Spanish).

To make the route by bus changing buses in Burgos. You would need to take the 15:00 bus from Bilbao to Burgos in order to arrive to Burgos early enough as to take the last bus to León (departing from Burgos at 17:20 and arriving to León at 19:20).

To make the route by bus changing buses in Oviedo. You could depart from Bilbao at 1630 and arrive to León at 22:00 with 25 minutes to change buses in Oviedo.

To make the route by train changing trains in Valladolid means a detour but it's the option with the later departure from Bilbao. You could take the 17:08 train to Valladolid that would allow you to take the 21:15 train from Valladolid to León arriving to León at 23:07.

For bus info, take a look at the web of Alsa (www.alsa.es/en). For train info, take a look at the web of RENFE (www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html). In both cases make a separate search for each leg of the route.

Hi

I am arriving in Bilbao at 13.20 pm. I was going to take the afternoon train to Leon, but RENFE has cancelled this train due to strike!!! I think I might take the bus instead as it seems I will be arriving to Leon late night that day. My preference is not to waste at day in Burgos as my time off work is pretty limited and I don't know what other challenges it may come up during my journey.

Thanks for all the info, really useful

Ileana

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If I were landing in Bilbao I would just start walking the Norte, straight from Bilbao. Beautiful, good infrastructure supporting pilgrims, nice balance of quiet and busy, interesting towns.
Good option, but I need to walk by la cruz de Ferro to leave a rock for my mom.

I was going to take the afternoon train to Leon, but RENFE has cancelled this train due to strike!!!

There isn't a direct afternoon train to León (other than the narrow gauge one I quoted above). The option you see on the web of RENFE is an option involving a change of trains in Miranda de Ebro. Due to the strike, the train from Miranda de Ebro to León has been cancelled but the train from Bilbao to Miranda de Ebro keeps running although it won't be any useful for you.

My preference is not to waste at day in Burgos

You can make it to León on the day with any of the options I quoted on my previous post so don't worry. However, I'd like to point out that to spend a day (or part of it) in Burgos, IMHO, isn't never a waste of time (good food, good sights, good atmosphere...).

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back