• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation from Leon to Sarria

Sonomad

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Hello,
I will be arriving in Leon on Sept. 29, 2016 and need to be in Sarria by the early evening (latest) on /Oct. 1. I am reaching out to this forum hoping that more experienced travelers will have some advice. There will be four women in my group with our luggage. I have looked at RENFE but it appears they have a twice daily train one leaving at 3 a.m. and another 4 hour train leaving at 2:42 arriving Sarria at 6:59 p.m. (Am I reading that right?) Which is either to early in the morning or a little later than we would like to arrive. I can't seem to find a bus that goes from Leon to Sarria. Does anyone know of one? I would be very interested in hiring a driver/taxi from Leon to Sarria or from Ponferrada to Sarria or even Pedrafita do Cebreiro to Sarria but thus far my internet searching has left me high and dry. As you can tell, I have tried to research it but my inexperience is showing and I am now totally confused. Do any fellow pilgrims have knowledge or experience with this? Thank you so sincerely. You have no idea how much time I have spent on this.
Gratefully,
Diane

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you. Although I was hoping for an easier routing, you are right on with your suggestion to go to Lugo and then to Sarria. Travel time seems long because we go beyond Sarria and then back but the time schedule works better for us than using the train. I am continuing to search options so if anyone else knows of a taxi or private transfer service that might drive from either Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada or even O' Cebreiro (I have found buses to those locations) I would appreciate the help. Our hope was that we could drive the Camino route even though our personal restrictions do not allow us to walk the distance from Leon to Santiago de Compostela.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you. Although I was hoping for an easier routing, you are right on with your suggestion to go to Lugo and then to Sarria. Travel time seems long because we go beyond Sarria and then back but the time schedule works better for us than using the train. I am continuing to search options so if anyone else knows of a taxi or private transfer service that might drive from either Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada or even O' Cebreiro (I have found buses to those locations) I would appreciate the help. Our hope was that we could drive the Camino route even though our personal restrictions do not allow us to walk the distance from Leon to Santiago de Compostela.

Monbus operates a bus once daily (except Sunday) in each direction from Pedrafita do Cebreiro to Sarria.

You are better off to go via Lugo. The main road goes from Lugo to Monforte de Lemos via Sarria. There is talk of building a four lane highway direct from Sarria to Leon ... but so far the cost benefit ratio isn't there yet ...

You might try Gonzalez de la Riva for Private Hire taxi.
http://www.gonzalezdelariva.es/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I will be arriving in Leon on Sept. 29, 2016 and need to be in Sarria by the early evening (latest) on /Oct. 1. I am reaching out to this forum hoping that more experienced travelers will have some advice. There will be four women in my group with our luggage. I have looked at RENFE but it appears they have a twice daily train one leaving at 3 a.m. and another 4 hour train leaving at 2:42 arriving Sarria at 6:59 p.m. (Am I reading that right?) Which is either to early in the morning or a little later than we would like to arrive. I can't seem to find a bus that goes from Leon to Sarria. Does anyone know of one? I would be very interested in hiring a driver/taxi from Leon to Sarria or from Ponferrada to Sarria or even Pedrafita do Cebreiro to Sarria but thus far my internet searching has left me high and dry. As you can tell, I have tried to research it but my inexperience is showing and I am now totally confused. Do any fellow pilgrims have knowledge or experience with this? Thank you so sincerely. You have no idea how much time I have spent on this.
Gratefully,
Diane

Hi, I am wondering about the same thing. Not quite from Leon to Sarria but maybe from Trabadelo or La Portela de Valcarce to O Cebreiro. I will look on the links posted here. Thanks

Not quite from Leon to Sarria but maybe from Trabadelo or La Portela de Valcarce to O Cebreiro.

Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) has buses from Ambasmestas to Pedrafita do Cebreiro. If you take the first one on the morning, I think you'll arrive in time (if the bus isn't delayed) to take the Monbus (www.monbus.es) bus from Pedrafita do Cebreiro to O Cebreiro (but check the schedules for your travel dates by yourself on the web of each of the bus companies involved). The later bus doesn't run on Sundays. If you don't want to take the early morning bus, Pedrafita do Cebreiro is just something like 4 kms away from O Cebreiro so you could take a taxi or walk it or...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great information, thank you! I am going with a couple of friends next month but we are looking into possibilities such as this in case of emergency. Buen Camino to all

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.