• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation from Lisbon to Porto?

LynneR

Time of past OR future Camino
CF '16, '18
Hello,
My plan is to walk from Porto to Santiago to Finisterre. I am planning my flights and find that the cheapest route would be to fly in and out of Lisbon. If I do this I will need to get transportation up to Porto.
Does anyone have advice or past experience taking bus/train from Lisbon to Porto? I haven't been to Portugal before, so I'm not familiar with their transportation system. I imagine I could get a bus up to Porto, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this in the past.

Thanks for your help.
Lynne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do check out the www.Rome2Rio.com site for various transport possibilities/costs/times traveling from Lisbon airport to Porto.

Good luck and Bom caminho!

Hi Lynne, it's super easy: to get to "Oriente" train station, the metro from the airport only takes about 5 minutes. See screenshot (I actually walked when I did it, it's not far!) From Oriente there are trains to Porto throughout the day. Check times with Comboios. The journey only takes 2h44 (much quicker than the bus).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 14.58.27.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 14.58.27.png
    305.9 KB · Views: 32
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also buses from Lisboa to Porto often.
Once at Porto, go down stairs to metro. Check metro map out where you want to go.
Will give more details later.

Thank you everyone so far. This is helpful.
Time is not as much an issue for me as money is. I am a teacher and have my summer break, but I have my teacher budget : ) I wouldn't mind the saving quite a bit on a flight and adding a few hours on a train or bus. Also, many more choices of flights going in to Lisbon.
Thanks again. Any input is helpful!

Time is not as much an issue for me as money is. I am a teacher and have my summer break, but I have my teacher budget : ) I wouldn't mind the saving quite a bit on a flight and adding a few hours on a train or bus. Also, many more choices of flights going in to Lisbon.

Hi, LynneR,
Are you planning to spend time in Lisbon or head straight to the airport? If the latter, Jan has given you an easy way to get out of town quickly. Head straight to the train station Oriente. But if you are planning to spend time in Lisbon, you can catch the train in-town at the Santa Apolonia station, and from there the train heads out to Oriente.

I agree with those who vote for the train! But there are also buses leaving from Oriente. From an intown location, your closest option would likely be the bus station at Sete Rios (metro stop Jardim Zoologico).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Lynne

I am planning to walk the last 100kms+ Camino Portugués at the end of May. I am flying into Porto from Edinburgh. I had a similar problem. How to get to - this case, Valença, on the Spanish frontier. Then how to get back for my flight.

I have, in the day few days, booked my journey by train from Porto to Valença. I registered with and used the trainline.eu website. It is in English and there are no problems paying with a UK Credit Card. I have now a printed ticket and an e-ticket I can use It is important to register to enable you to consult and, if needed, print off again your ticket.

For my return to Porto I have chosen, a bus journey - again for the above reasons. I registered on the GoEuro website and selected bus journeys. Then entered the details. The bus company is ALSA maybe the same company operates between Santiago de Compostela and Lisbon, I do not know.

In summing up, both travelling.eu (train) and GoEuro (in this case bus) take a lot of the hassle out of buying tickets. You have them to print!

I hope you find this helpful.

Michael A.

P. S. I am sorry for any typos etc. This is on my ‘phone.

QUOTE="LynneR, post: 711048, member: 78910"]
Hello,
My plan is to walk from Porto to Santiago to Finisterre. I am planning my flights and find that the cheapest route would be to fly in and out of Lisbon. If I do this I will need to get transportation up to Porto.
Does anyone have advice or past experience taking bus/train from Lisbon to Porto? I haven't been to Portugal before, so I'm not familiar with their transportation system. I imagine I could get a bus up to Porto, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this in the past.

Thanks for your help.
Lynne
[/QUOTE]

Hi Lynne

I am planning to walk the last 100kms+ Camino Portugués at the end of May. I am flying into Porto from Edinburgh. I had a similar problem. How to get to - this case, Valença, on the Spanish frontier. Then how to get back for my flight.

I have, in the day few days, booked my journey by train from Porto to Valença. I registered with and used the trainline.eu website. It is in English and there are no problems paying with a UK Credit Card. I have now a printed ticket and an e-ticket I can use It is important to register to enable you to consult and, if needed, print off again your ticket.

For my return to Porto I have chosen, a bus journey - again for the above reasons. I registered on the GoEuro website and selected bus journeys. Then entered the details. The bus company is ALSA maybe the same company operates between Santiago de Compostela and Lisbon, I do not know.

In summing up, both travelling.eu (train) and GoEuro (in this case bus) take a lot of the hassle out of buying tickets. You have them to print!

I hope you find this helpful.

Michael A.

P. S. I am sorry for any typos etc. This is on my ‘phone.

QUOTE="LynneR, post: 711048, member: 78910"]
Hello,

Thanks for your help.
Lynne
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the tips. I will look into all of those options. I would love to fly into Porto as it would be much easier, but it is much pricier from my home!
Thanks again!

Hello,

Thanks for your help.
Lynne

Hi Lynne

I have looked into my previous reply (now I am at a proper computer) and for some reason I cannot access train tickets on the trainline.eu website. I have tried the Comboios website www.cp.pt - that is the Portuguese Trains website and ten chosen the English language option. Now the Lisbon Station is called Lisboa - Santa Apolonia, and the Porto Staion is called Vila Nova de Gaia-Devesas. Complicated I know. Anyway, there are frequent services througout the day taking about 3 hours and costing 15€ / 20€ single, if bought in advance. I have never used the Comboios website.

Using the GoEuro website (it has changed it's name to Omio), frequents bus services come up costing around 20€. They are run by either the Rede Expressos or Renex companies.

Buses back from Santiago de Compostela to Lisbon are about 40€ / 50€ single. They are either the ALSA bus company or the EuroLines bus company.

As someone has said, Lisbon is worth a few days itself if you do not mind add ing to the cost, but it does seem complicated and adds to your expense. Are you sure that it would not be cheaper flying to Porto? Where are you flying from?

Any, I hope this helps.

Michael A.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Now the Lisbon Station is called Lisboa - Santa Apolonia, and the Porto Staion is called Vila Nova de Gaia-Devesas. Complicated I know.
Lisbon train station is 'Santa Apolónia' or 'Oriente'.
Porto train station is Campanhã (city outskirts) or São Bento (city center)

Vila Nova de Gaia-Devesas is in Vila Nova de Gaia, not Porto.

Hello,

Thanks for your help.
Lynne
Lynne,
I did this in 2006. Used the train from Lisbon to Porto (It stops on the way between those points at least in Coimbra). It's fast and comfortable.
CP - Comboios de Portugal

Buen camino!

It’s easy and quick to go by train from Lisbon to Porto, but it’s a fairly long trip back from Santiago to Lisbon, requiring changes. If you need to spend extra money for lodging, taxis, extra days, etc. sometimes the savings over flying can get eaten up pretty quick.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It’s easy and quick to go by train from Lisbon to Porto, but it’s a fairly long trip back from Santiago to Lisbon, requiring changes. If you need to spend extra money for lodging, taxis, extra days, etc. sometimes the savings over flying can get eaten up pretty quick.

Yes, that bus trip back to Lisbon is looong, but just one day. The train is much quicker and more pleasant.

It would be a shame to go all that way and skip seeing Lisboa and Porto! In fact, throw Fatima in there if you are interested in Catholic holy sites. If you have more time than money, the bus provides easy and cheap access to/from each of those cities. Perhaps train up and then a slow wandering bus ride back when you know how much extra time you have.

From a supporter/reader/possible future Caminho walker:

More on CP.PT--the Portuguese rail line. I've been using the rail service very regularly as a part-time Portuguese resident for the last two years. The trains are VERY reasonable, and tickets easy to buy on-line from anywhere.

Typically, they have a lot of discounts and if you know in advance when you will be travelling and can buy your long-distance tickets 10 days or more in advance, you can save 40% or so. Right now there's a promotion running through just to the end of April, but most likely there will be another one after that, as well!

Alfa Pendicular are the high-speed trains that run 3 or 4 times a day; a bit more expensive. Intercidates (Intercity) are the ones that run every couple of hours from early in the morning till mid-evening. They stop at the major towns and cities. Have both first- and second-class cars, and second class is just fine. Almost as fast as the Alfa Pendicular. Even slower are the Regional trains--the "milk runs." These are pretty slow--they stop at every little station along the way. Only worth the savings if you're taking a very short run.

Lisboa (Lisbon) Oriente is the station you want to start out from if you're taking the train out of town immediately. Santa Apolonia is downtown, on the waterfront. Oriente is just 3 Metro stops from the airport and easy to access. As others have commented, long-distance buses also run from the same location--the bus station is right in front of the strikingly modern railway station.

And if you're wanting to save money and not eat in the railway cafe car (pretty basic Portuguese snack food), there's an excellent, large Continente grocery store in the basement of the Vasco da Gama shopping complex that is just towards the river from the railway station. Huge selection. On the other hand, if you're in Lisbon a day or two, and decide to stay downtown, and then head north from Santa Apolonia station, there's a smaller, but still very complete Pingo Doce grocery store within Santa Apolonia Station--same thing--you can get all kinds of fresh bread, fruit and vegetables, beverages, etc. etc. before you get on the train.

Oh yes, and if you're over 65 and from anywhere, not just Portugal or EU, you get all your train tickets at half price! You just show your passport when you buy your ticket and identify yourself as a "reformado." You can't get both a pre-payment discount and a retiree discount, though. But if you're 65+ it's rarely worth buying in advance.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hey Lynne I am from Australia and agree that flights into Lisbon are cheaper than flights to Porto. I am actually going to fly to Vienna and then to Lisbon but that is a different story. Flights can be as cheap as $25 one way from Lisbon to Porto. Check with Skyscanner and as said above Rome2Rio. I am planning for either September October, or May next year.

It would be a shame to go all that way and skip seeing Lisboa and Porto! In fact, throw Fatima in there if you are interested in Catholic holy sites. If you have more time than money, the bus provides easy and cheap access to/from each of those cities. Perhaps train up and then a slow wandering bus ride back when you know how much extra time you have.

Another holy site (cathedral of Bom Jesus) is near Braga, up north, east of the path. And Maundy Thursday through Easter there are parades in Braga.

Just a practical comment

I was on the train going into Lisbon from slightly north on Monday, March 11. There were posters in all the cars, advertising a special on the train fare for travel until April 30th, with a 10-day-in-advance booking.

5(five!) euros for 2nd class, which is more than adequate, all the way from Lisbon to Porto. And this is on the inter-city, with only big-town/city stops along the way, so not incredibly slow.

This is ridiculously cheap. Normal fare, 2nd class, from just south of Tomar is 13 euros to Lisbon--7 for seniors.

Worth checking out if you have the ability to plan that far ahead. They say
"Don’t miss out
on an almost
free ride.
Journeys until April 30.
Buy here" at https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/discounts-benefits/Discounts/promo-ticket-five

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My flight from the US is to Madrid, and a plane ticket to Porto from there is cheap. I got a one-way, figuring I can take the bus from Santiago (or Finisterre) back to Madrid to fly home.

Lisbon train station is 'Santa Apolónia' or 'Oriente'.
Porto train station is Campanhã (city outskirts) or São Bento (city center)

Vila Nova de Gaia-Devesas is in Vila Nova de Gaia, not Porto.

Thank you.
Which Lisbon train station is closer to the Lisbon airport?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Lynne I am from Australia and agree that flights into Lisbon are cheaper than flights to Porto. I am actually going to fly to Vienna and then to Lisbon but that is a different story. Flights can be as cheap as $25 one way from Lisbon to Porto. Check with Skyscanner and as said above Rome2Rio. I am planning for either September October, or May next year.

Hello,
I have looked up the flights, and you are right...they are very cheap.
Would you be nervous booking a flight that is not attached to your other flight itinerary? I mean, if there is a delay you could miss that flight and be out of luck, correct? I only ask how you feel because I have never booked a flight this way. What do you think?
Lynne

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back