• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Transportation from Santiago Airport to Sarria Hotel - Taxi vs. Bus?

Time of past OR future Camino
September 29 - October 9, 2015
My question is whether to take a bus from the Santiago Airport to my hotel in Sarria, or just catch a taxi.

Any advice on the following questions would be greatly appreciated:
1. Ease of use for buses. I understand you have to take two buses to get to Sarria from the airport. After a night flight from Boston to Madrid and a change to another flight to Santiago, I don't want a difficult bus experience - I want to be in as good shape as possible when I start walking from Sarria.

2. Difference in costs - what's the difference in costs between a taxi from the airport to Sarria, vs. the cost of the two buses.

3. I forget, where does the second bus start from? Is there a frequent schedule - how often do the buses run?

4. Anyone else arriving to Santiago Airport on the morning of Monday, September 28 who'd like to share a taxi? I come in at 8:50am.

I leave two weeks from today - getting nervous.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The bus runs from the airport to Lugo, then you transfer to the bus from Lugo to Sarria. Buses are much less expensive than a taxi, which will be over 100E.

upload_2015-9-13_13-18-42.png

upload_2015-9-13_13-21-32.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the schedule and information you posted -

Any idea how much it would cost to take the buses from Santiago to Sarria? I'd like to balance the savings vs. the hassle.
The bus runs from the airport to Lugo, then you transfer to the bus from Lugo to Sarria. Buses are much less expensive than a taxi, which will be over 100E.

View attachment 21102

View attachment 21105

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My question is whether to take a bus from the Santiago Airport to my hotel in Sarria, or just catch a taxi.

Any advice on the following questions would be greatly appreciated:
1. Ease of use for buses. I understand you have to take two buses to get to Sarria from the airport. After a night flight from Boston to Madrid and a change to another flight to Santiago, I don't want a difficult bus experience - I want to be in as good shape as possible when I start walking from Sarria.

2. Difference in costs - what's the difference in costs between a taxi from the airport to Sarria, vs. the cost of the two buses.

3. I forget, where does the second bus start from? Is there a frequent schedule - how often do the buses run?

4. Anyone else arriving to Santiago Airport on the morning of Monday, September 28 who'd like to share a taxi? I come in at 8:50am.

I leave two weeks from today - getting nervous.
Hi Leah, as already stated by Falcon.
My wife and I did this last year for our walk from Sarria to Finistere.
It was a nice trip with the bus.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I took these buses last week after a long day of travelling and two flights to get from England to Santiago. It worked out really smoothly and cheaply. Just be very clear when getting your bus that it's the right one. I asked the drive if the second bus was going to Sarria, and he confirmed it was. However, I wasn't convinced so wrote the word Sarria on my phone and showed it to him. He looked shocked and directed me to a different bus. I guess my Irish accent confused him. Anyway, good luck with your travels and Buen Camino,
Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I took these buses last week after a long day of travelling and two flights to get from England to Santiago. It worked out really smoothly and cheaply. Just be very clear when getting your bus that it's the right one. I asked the drive if the second bus was going to Sarria, and he confirmed it was. However, I wasn't convinced so wrote the word Sarria on my phone and showed it to him. He looked shocked and directed me to a different bus. I guess my Irish accent confused him. Anyway, good luck with your travels and Buen Camino,
Tom
Thanks, Tom - very helpful.

Back