• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation from Santiago back to Madrid, with a possible stop in Segovia.

Rachel and Dino

Rachel and Dino
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo April 2022
I've been exploring different senarios post Camino. Thought it would be nice to stop for a day/night in Segovia before reaching Madrid . Haven't had much luck . Alot of cheap flights Santiago-Madrid ,but backpacks must be an extra charge ? Trains are more expensive but wondered if you can do a hop-on-hop-off in Segovia before getting to Madrid . Lastly , I'm considering just going directly to Madrid . Then take the bus from Madrid to Segovia as they are frequent and easy I believe . Thank you for any advice !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't know when you will be coming back, but here's a link that shows Santiago to Segovia.
This one shows Segovia to Madrid.

Looks like the train station isn't directly in Segovia and you have to take the bus into the main part of town. In my opinion the train is much nicer than flying. Less hassle.

I've been exploring different senarios post Camino. Thought it would be nice to stop for a day/night in Segovia before reaching Madrid . Haven't had much luck . Alot of cheap flights Santiago-Madrid ,but backpacks must be an extra charge ? Trains are more expensive but wondered if you can do a hop-on-hop-off in Segovia before getting to Madrid . Lastly , I'm considering just going directly to Madrid . Then take the bus from Madrid to Segovia as they are frequent and easy I believe . Thank you for any advice !

RENFE has no hop-on hop-off option. They consider that trip, if halting in Segovia, to comprise of two separate journeys. Segovia’s train station is indeed ‘out of town’ as in many cases where the new high-speed lines were laid and, in some cases, have stations from which one can barely see any human life, never mind the town or city it supposedly serves.

You could split the train trip or go direct to Madrid and backtrack to Segovia by bus or train - but I don’t really understand why you would. The most economic option is often only that if you don’t add the value you assign to your time.

The attractions of Segovia - the aqueduct, alcazar and church of Vera Cruz (on the Madrid route) are worth seeing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
September 2021 I found the $29 flight via Iberia the easiest to do. (Trains we’re not running due to Covid) i took a taxi to the hostel/ hotel. I self checked in at midnight at Javier Cabrina . Next day I walked around the city and took the subway to the airport. Very convenient.

Will be reading this with interest as I am considering doing the same thing post-Camino. Although I admit I am prone to trying to get more days on both ends of any trip.:p "If I go one day earlier I can do...."

Depending on your budget and time, consider renting a car and adding Valladolid, Segovia and Avila to your itinerary on the way back to Madrid.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Depending on your budget and time, consider renting a car and adding Valladolid, Segovia and Avila to your itinerary on the way back to Madrid.
That's a great idea and seems relatively easy to do, time permitting.

After walking the Camino Portuguese in 2016 I took the morning train from SdC to Segovia as a planned one night stopover before continuing to Madrid the next day and on to Barcelona for the TGV to Paris. As others have said, the station is some 5-6kms out of town, information online says the bus service is No. 11. But Segovia is worth the hassle of getting a bus or taxi into the town (and back) it is a World Heritage site and while the Roman aqueduct photographs well there's nothing to beat standing beneath it to get the measure of its immensity and architectural beauty. Then there is the magnificent cathedral, (another reason to detour) offering reduced entry for pilgrims. The Jewish quarter is also worth exploring. As I was there for only one night I wasn't able to visit the Alcazar, which is another of the city's 'gems'.
I used the bus to travel into and out of the city without any problems. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back