• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

transportation from Santiago to Fatima, Portugal

coldweather

I attempted the Camino Frances in May 2013. I got sick between Sarria and Santiago and could not complete my journey by foot. I am thinking of trying again later this month.

My plan would be to fly to Madrid and take the train to Sarria. Walk to Santiago. I would then like to travel from Santiago to Fatima, Portugal. I would likely fly back to the US from Lisbon.

What is the best way to travel from Santiago to Portugal? I don't see any of the discount airlines fly to Lisbon or Porto. I know if I stayed within Spain the train is RENFE and the bus is ALSA. What are the equivalent in Portugal?

This forum is always very helpful. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In 2010, I went from SdC to Porto easily. In fact, I walked to Fisterra, stayed the night, took the 9:30 (or so) bus back to SdC and caught the 13:00 (or so) bus to Porto. I purchased my ticket to Porto before leaving for the sea 4 days ahead. I stayed in Porto and easily took a morning bus to Fatima.

I have been to Guadalupe, Mexico - Vatican City , Rome - Medjugorje, Bosnia - Lourdes, France. I REALLY liked my experience in Fatima!

I will do some searching and see if I can get you updated information. It should not be that hard at all to get to Fatima.

So nice you will return to finish your journey.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Our friend that walked with us this past May, took the ALSA bus from Santiago directly to Fatima. A few days there she went to Lisbon and flew from there back to the States.

Our friend that walked with us this past May, took the ALSA bus from Santiago directly to Fatima. A few days there she went to Lisbon and flew from there back to the States.
I did the same. Took the bus from Santiago straight to Fatima. I thought it was a 7 or 8 hrs.

A bus is easy travelling and you see the towns and scenery you drive through: don't forget when buying your ticket to say if you're over 65 years old and show your passport. You get a good discount [something like 50%]!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I attempted the Camino Frances in May 2013. I got sick between Sarria and Santiago and could not complete my journey by foot. I am thinking of trying again later this month.

My plan would be to fly to Madrid and take the train to Sarria. Walk to Santiago. I would then like to travel from Santiago to Fatima, Portugal. I would likely fly back to the US from Lisbon.

What is the best way to travel from Santiago to Portugal? I don't see any of the discount airlines fly to Lisbon or Porto. I know if I stayed within Spain the train is RENFE and the bus is ALSA. What are the equivalent in Portugal?

This forum is always very helpful. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!
I am planning a hike from Leon to Santiago next May and also plan to return back to the states through Lisbon. Is there something special about Fatima that I would not want to miss? And are there trains from Santiago directly to Leon? Thanks.

I am planning a hike from Leon to Santiago next May and also plan to return back to the states through Lisbon. Is there something special about Fatima that I would not want to miss? And are there trains from Santiago directly to Leon? Thanks.

KentuckyJay,

Fatima is a major pilgrimage site in Portugal associated with the Marian apparitions that occurred nearby in 1917 and which were later recognized by the Catholic Church. I suggest that you research on the net for further descriptions of the present site and its history.

Some pilgrims walking on the Portuguese Camino branch off onto a separate path marked in blue leading to Fatima. Check out what Forum member Peter Robins cites and shows regarding these specific Fatima routes

You can take a RENFE train from Santiago directly to Leon. For times and price see >>
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
KentuckyJay,

Fatima is a major pilgrimage site in Portugal associated with the Marian apparitions that occurred nearby in 1917 and which were later recognized by the Catholic Church. I suggest that you research on the net for further descriptions of the present site and its history.

Some pilgrims walking on the Portuguese Camino branch off onto a separate path marked in blue leading to Fatima. Check out what Forum member Peter Robins cites and shows regarding these specific Fatima routes

You can take a RENFE train from Santiago directly to Leon. For times and price see >>

Margaret Meredith
Thanx a heap. Although not a Catholic, I did know that info, but had forgotten. Seems like these senior moments are becoming more frequent for this 67 year old guy. Thanks again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Fatima can be a very special place there are buses sometimes with a change at say Coimbra - however - and this is a very big however, chose your day carefully. Fatima was built after the children there witnessed what they and others believe to be an appearance of the Virgin Mary. It is the most often visited shrine in Portugal especially around October 13, the feast day. It is entirely modern and has no real attraction for those who do not truly believe. The elongated square in front of the shrine was designed to accommodate 1,000,000 people yes one million, on a typical day there may be 50 in the plaza another 100 or so in the church, so the place generates the feeling of a giant empty car park. My visit was not inspiring, the vast emptiness and the meglomanic nature of the sculptures recalled past governments in Portugal not noted for liberality or tolerance. The 150 kiosks of ex votos, souvenirs, postcards, rosaries, candles, medallions and medals do not improve the atmosphere. Pick a day with a lot of visitors and you will enjoy, go on a regular day and all you will see are many very unfortunate people.

KentuckyJay,

Margaret Meredith
I plan to complete my Camino by about May 28 and then need to travel to Lisbon to catch my flight back to the US. Can I catch a train from Santiago de Compostela, a bus, train/bus combination? Any suggestions?

Kentucky Jay,

See these various possibilities suggested on the handy Rome2Rio web site. Train to Vigo, Porto, and Lisbon seems the shortest and cheapest option.

Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back