• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation from SJPDP to Orrison

bforderhase

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2023
I arrive in SJPDP early on May 1. Planning to hike up to Orrison and return to SJPDP where I have reservations that night. Next day want to get transportation up to Orrison where I’ll continue on to Roncesvalles. Is expressbourricot the only option? How far in advance would I need to make a reservation with them? Thanks for info and suggestions. This is my first Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You should be able to have someone at Orisson call you a taxi.
But it seems to me that the Express Bourricot option is good - you can walk farther up the hill making the next day's walk a little shorter.

I'm actually going to use them in May, I'm going to accompany a group of newbie pilgrims and it seems like the best option for us.

You should be able to have someone at Orisson call you a taxi.
But it seems to me that the Express Bourricot option is good - you can walk farther up the hill making the next day's walk a little shorter.

I'm actually going to use them in May, I'm going to accompany a group of newbie pilgrims and it seems like the best option for us.
I’m planning on hiking up to Orrison, eating lunch there, and hiking back down to SJPDP. The next morning is the day I’m curious about transportation back up to Orrison. Would taxi be cheaper than expressbourricot?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just out of curiosity, why are some of you going back to SJPdP instead of staying the night in orisson?

I arrive in SJPDP early on May 1. Planning to hike up to Orrison and return to SJPDP where I have reservations that night. Next day want to get transportation up to Orrison where I’ll continue on to Roncesvalles. Is expressbourricot the only option? How far in advance would I need to make a reservation with them? Thanks for info and suggestions. This is my first Camino!

I have used Express Bourricot a couple of times. It's a great option.
It's what they do....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As to the question whether a taxi would be cheaper than ExpressBourricot: their prices are listed on their website: https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/ - it says “from three passengers” and “in the limit of space” and “reservation required” by email or in person and departure daily at 8:30.

So, most likely: When the van is full, you won’t get a place. When there are fewer than 3 passengers it may be more expensive than the listed price. If you call a taxi and you are the only passenger, the fare is likely to be higher than on a full “Mountain Shuttle” van. Neither option is going to break the bank. We talking about transport over a distance of 8 kilometers. The Express Bouricot fare on the website for SJPP to Orisson is €8.

We used Express Bourricot on our 2019 Camino. We are from Australia and did not want to push too much on our first day after such long travel days. We booked for the two of us from Australia and paid them once we got to SJPdP. They were brilliant. On the second day they collected us from our accommodation to take us back to La Vierge where they had picked us up the previous day. It is only a short distance further on from Orisson.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We used Express Bourricot on our 2019 Camino. We are from Australia and did not want to push too much on our first day after such long travel days. We booked for the two of us from Australia and paid them once we got to SJPdP. They were brilliant. On the second day they collected us from our accommodation to take us back to La Vierge where they had picked us up the previous day. It is only a short distance further on from Orisson.
Since you have experience with this service I have a question - Do you think that it would be feasible to walk to Vierge d’Orisson, then back down to Orisson in time to be picked up? I think that I'd rather wait at Orisson to be picked up, perhaps while sipping a glass of wine. 😉

Since you have experience with this service I have a question - Do you think that it would be feasible to walk to Vierge d’Orisson, then back down to Orisson in time to be picked up? I think that I'd rather wait at Orisson to be picked up, perhaps while sipping a glass of wine. 😉
Yes, that would definitely be doable. Just let Express Bouriccot know that you would like to be picked up at Orisson rather than La Vierge. When we used the service we got picked up at La Vierge but then stopped at Orisson to pick some other people up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Express Bouricott runs the shuttle fro SJPP to Orisson and back every day.
This year, I believe they only charge 6 each direction.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We did exactly that last year and it was fine. Leave in the morning, have a drink in Orisson, and walk for another hour or so to the virgin, back to SJdP by EB for late lunch. The advantage is that it makes the next day shorter, which is welcome given these are the first two days, and one is just getting into the groove. We used express Burricot. I got the impression that provided you booked early they would figure out how to organize logistics, perhaps by getting a temp driver and extra vehicle if the van was full.

We did exactly that last year and it was fine. Leave in the morning, have a drink in Orisson, and walk for another hour or so to the virgin, back to SJdP by EB for late lunch. The advantage is that it makes the next day shorter, which is welcome given these are the first two days, and one is just getting into the groove. We used express Burricot. I got the impression that provided you booked early they would figure out how to organize logistics, perhaps by getting a temp driver and extra vehicle if the van was full.
They will pick you up from the virgin btw. No need to go back to Orisson. And drop you at the virgin the next day.

They will pick you up from the virgin btw. No need to go back to Orisson. And drop you at the virgin the next day.
Yes, I know that. I just thought that it might be nicer to wait for pick up at Orisson if there is time to walk back there.

I suppose another option would be to take a break at Orisson and time it to reach the Virgin just before the pick up time.

How long did you have to wait at the Virgin?

€83,-
Yes, I know that. I just thought that it might be nicer to wait for pick up at Orisson if there is time to walk back there.

I suppose another option would be to take a break at Orisson and time it to reach the Virgin just before the pick up time.

How long did you have to wait at the Virgin?
Sorry, my bad. But I’m not sure on the first day the walk up to the virgin and back from Orisson would be worth the wine 😀. We waited more than an hour. But that was because we were over conservative with figuring out how long it would take us to get to the virgin from Orisson. Basically they have fixed pick up times, so if you time it properly you won’t wait long. And if the weather is nice, sitting near the virgin looking over the valleys is quite beautiful and peaceful. Maybe take a bottle of wine with you?😉

We walked to Croix Thibault, (right where the Camino leaves the paved road)
and had the Express Bouricott Mountain Shuttle pick us up and back to SJPdP. Returned the next morning by shuttle, then walked to Burgette the next day.

I would recommend walking more than the 8K to Orrison. Croix Thibault was about 16-17k. And we walked about the same to Burgette the next day, where we had booked a private room. It worked out great for us.

Jim

the info is on their website.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Great service, great people.
I too tend to stay in St Jean 2 nights and use EB to collect me off the mountain and take me back up the next day.

You have a range of locations to be collected from and dropped off to.
Scroll down the page.

Have also used them to pick us up from Bayonne and Biarritz airport.
Note, they speak good English, French, Spanish, Basque!......

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back