• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

transportation on the LePuy

Robert Long

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept 2016
Camino Portuguse Oct 2018
My best friend and I are planning to walk from LePuy to Nasbinal/Montgros. We then want to move on to the Camino Frances. Does anyone have experience with using public transportation on the LePuy route.? There are trains, but we must use a taxi or uber to get the the train station. Are taxis or Ubers available in the smaller towns.. Somehow we need to get to SJPP

thank you for your help

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The le Puy route traverses some of the least populated areas of France. Nasbinals is in the center of a kind of dead zone for rail traffic due to its location in the Massif Central. If you backtrack eastwards to Aumont Aubrac, using the services of la Malle Postale, you can catch a train south toward Marseilles. Then you'll have to take a circuitous route to Saint Jean. Similarly, you could use la Malle Postale to get to Figeac on the west side of the Massif Central and train it back to Bordeaux before heading south to Bayonne. Another option which I have read about is to use la Malle Postale to get to Conques and then catch a bus which occasionally may run southwest to Rodez. All of these options involve 9+ hours of transit time.

I would suggest taking an alternate route through France to get to Saint Jean. The Camino Baztan, for example. Or walk from Navarrenx on the le Puy route. Either of these alternatives will give you a taste of Basque country and of walking in France.

I love the le Puy route and highly recommend it. But the difficulty of walking to Nasbinals and then trying to get to Saint Jean is going to be painful, time-wise. I have had excellent, though somewhat dated, experience with la Malle Postale as far as responding to emails in English. You might query them as well.

Bon chemin. Good luck.

Tom

My best friend and I are planning to walk from LePuy to Nasbinal/Montgros. We then want to move on to the Camino Frances. Does anyone have experience with using public transportation on the LePuy route.? There are trains, but we must use a taxi or uber to get the the train station. Are taxis or Ubers available in the smaller towns.. Somehow we need to get to SJPP

thank you for your help

Hallo Robert
There is the Bus Compostelle which services the Chemin de St Jacques from Le Puy en Velay to Conques which just so happens to be the most popular section of this route.
You can take this bus from Nasbinal to Conques and on checking the timetable it leaves around 9.20 a.m.From Conques you could take a taxi from there to the train station in Decazeville where you could catch a train to Toulouse.Trains Toulouse to Bayonne and Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port.
Alternatively taxi to Rodez train station from Conques and onto Toulouse as above.You can choose.
You can check out the website of the Bus Compostelle which shows the route and timetable.It's easily accessed on the internet.Same for SNCF for train times Decazeville to Toulouse or Rodez to Toulouse.
Incidentally I was told that the Compostelle Bus was the initiative of President Macron!.It just serves Le Puy Conques portion of the chemin.
Hope everything works out for you.
Wishing you Bon Chemin and Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

thank you for your help
Weblink to Compostel’Bus referred to above : <https://www.bus-chemin-compostelle.com/> ...

imho Rodez train station will serve your needs best [rather than Decazeville{ as there are more services to Toulouse; a long journey whatever way you look at / cut it ... bon chemin et courage 👣👣👣

Thank you for your help. I have no doubt we will get to SJPP in some fashion. Thank you for the links

Bob

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back