• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation PARIS to Le Puy en Velay

Leigh Lorayne

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino del Norte Irun to Ribadasella (2016)
Camino Primitivo Oviedo to Santiago (2016)
I will be arriving in Paris CDG April21 and want to take a train to Le Puy. I arrive in Paris at 10:30 and I see a train on Trainline App. leaving Paris from Gare de Lyon at 13:46. Is that enough time from arrival to catch the train? It says one ticket left. There is also a train at 12:49 which I would prefer. Any experience with time clearing customs and transportation from airport to train station? How do I get there from the airport? Thanks so much for any help.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On April, 21st, there are trains leaving Paris CGD to Lyon:
- CDG 11:58, Lyon Part-Dieu 14:04
- CDG 13:58, Lyon Part-Dieu 16:02
- CGD 14:57, Lyon Part-Dieu 17:00
In Lyon you have to commute to St Etienne, then in St Etienne to Le Puy if I remember.

On April, 21st, there are trains leaving Paris CGD to Lyon:
- CDG 11:58, Lyon Part-Dieu 14:04
- CDG 13:58, Lyon Part-Dieu 16:02
- CGD 14:57, Lyon Part-Dieu 17:00
In Lyon you have to commute to St Etienne, then in St Etienne to Le Puy if I remember.
Yes, that is exactly what we remember, too. We had a half hour+ wait between train connections and there was a Decathlon nearby in a mall, so we had time to walk over and purchase inexpensive hiking poles.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Any experience with time clearing customs and transportation from airport to train station? How do I get there from the airport? Thanks so much for any help.
Hi there - given the times quoted above by @Pafayac - I'd go for the 13.58 departure. Time to get through customs and retrieve your bag etc is outside your control and can blow out very easily

The TGV station is in Terminal 2. See map below. I've only ever flown in to Terminal 2. But if you are arriving into one of the other terminals it's also easy to get to. See this page - if you scroll down it tells you how to move between terminals.

I hope you have time for a full day in Le Puy en Velay. It's a beautiful town with a strong pilgrim feel. The early morning pilgrim blessing in the cathedral is a wonderful way to start. Down the steps and off you go.

Enjoy this glorious path. Bon chemin.

Attachments

• CDG Airport.jpeg
    CDG Airport.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 10
PS @Leigh Lorayne I noticed your post refers to trains departing Gare de Lyon. If you intend to travel on the morning of your arrival, I strongly recommend taking one of the trains departing from CDG airport (noted by @Pafayac) rather than getting yourself into Paris to take a train from Gare de Lyon. That will take quite a while and exposes you to all sorts of delays which can arise on both the RER and metro systems and from traffic.

We often take TGV trains south from CDG and it works very well. All the best.

In 2019, I did the prudent thing. After arriving early at CDG, I gave myself a leisurely connection to Gare Lyon, picked up my pre-paid ticket after waiting in a huge queue because the ticket machines were out of order. I had a nice lunch and few glasses of France’s finest. Boarded my train to Le Puy only to run into a labor dispute somewhere short of Le Puy and had to negotiate with every man and his dog for a bus ticket to my destination. C’est la vie. You can plan and then you can plan your travels in France. Bon chance!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took the early morning train from CDG to Lyon, then took a BlaBlaCar from Lyon to Le Puy. The ride cost me €6 and got me to Le Puy with plenty of time to wander the town and recuperate a bit after the red-eye flight. If you post a request for a BlaBlaCar on their site or app, know that you won’t get a response until exactly 2 weeks before your intended ride date. But once that date arrives, you’ll start to get responses and can hopefully pick and choose one going closest to your destination. You can always get a taxi from a neighboring town if need be. I found this to be direct, easy and cheap.

PS @Leigh Lorayne I noticed your post refers to trains departing Gare de Lyon. If you intend to travel on the morning of your arrival, I strongly recommend taking one of the trains departing from CDG airport (noted by @Pafayac) rather than getting yourself into Paris to take a train from Gare de Lyon. That will take quite a while and exposes you to all sorts of delays which can arise on both the RER and metro systems and from traffic.

We often take TGV trains south from CDG and it works very well. All the best.
I’m so glad that I read this, I was planning to go into Paris and take a train from either Gare de Lyon or Bercy but leaving from CDG would certainly be easier. My flight arrives on April 19 at 5:15am so I will have plenty of time but still…

The train ride from Lyon to Le Puy via St Etienne is slow but offers engaging views over the upper reaches of the Loire river and may be useful in slowing down to Camino pace.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took the early morning train from CDG to Lyon, then took a BlaBlaCar from Lyon to Le Puy. The ride cost me €6 and got me to Le Puy with plenty of time to wander the town and recuperate a bit after the red-eye flight. If you post a request for a BlaBlaCar on their site or app, know that you won’t get a response until exactly 2 weeks before your intended ride date. But once that date arrives, you’ll start to get responses and can hopefully pick and choose one going closest to your destination. You can always get a taxi from a neighboring town if need be. I found this to be direct, easy and cheap.
Sounds interesting.
Are you able to use/navigate the BlaBlaCar website on-line in English?

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Is there a train from Lyon Part-Dieux to Le Puy or do you have to go from the St. Étienne station? The BlaBlaCar sounds interesting but feels a little uncertain….

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Is there a train from Lyon Part-Dieux to Le Puy or do you have to go from the St. Étienne station? The BlaBlaCar sounds interesting but feels a little uncertain….
There is an hourly train from Lyon to St Étienne and one every three hours from St Étienne to Le Puy. From Paris, you change trains at Lyon and St Étienne.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Booked!! 😊 Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to two beautiful days in Le Puy en Velay before beginning my journey!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back