• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation to St. Jean Pied de Port in January!

sullygal

Time of past OR future Camino
January/February 2019
I am planning on flying into either Barcelona or Madrid. The flight to Barcelona is significantly cheaper than Madrid, but I have read that transportation to Saint Jean Pied de Port is a bit easier than from Barcelona. Does anyone have any advice on getting there from either of these cities?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning on flying into either Barcelona or Madrid. The flight to Barcelona is significantly cheaper than Madrid, but I have read that transportation to Saint Jean Pied de Port is a bit easier than from Barcelona. Does anyone have any advice on getting there from either of these cities?

Welcome to the forum!
You can check out and compare various costs/schedules etc of transport in English using
https://www.rome2rio.com

Since you are traveling in January do check the posts in this earlier thread re walking in winter for many helpful links and tips. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-winter-advice.51183/

Happy planning, stay safe/warm and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Thank you for your response! I appreciate you adding the link. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any buses running from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port in January... I saw some people mention hiring a taxi for an approximate 120 euro... The search continues!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The ALSA/Conda bus from Pamplona to SJPDP does not run in the winter. The bus line PLM Autocares ( http://plmautocares.com/ ) does have Tuesday and Friday morning service to Valcarlos and Arneguy and they are just a few hours walk from St. Jean by doing the camino in reverse.

That means you have to walk that way again the next day so you may want to consider walking from either place to Roncesvalles but you would be starting at noon on a short daylight day.

Maybe start from Roncesvalles by using the bus line Artieda Autocares. http://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=roncesvalles

PLM uses the local name for Arneguy, Pekotxeta

Last edited:

If flights to BCN are much cheaper than think of another (direct) flight from there to EAS (San Sebastian/Irun). It might be less time and money consuming option if your dates and times match up because you can get it for as cheap as 23€.

Getting from EAS to SJPdP is quite easy. It's just a short walk from the airport to Irun train station but you have public transport options also, check Rome2Rio page). Then train/bus to Bayonne train station and TER train to SJPdP.

Buen Camino!

My suggestion would be to fly instead to Paris, train to Bayonne and then train to SJPdP.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes fly to Paris, catch overnight bus or train to Bayonne I caught Eurolines bus, First train/bus to SJPD. Spend the night in SJPD then walk the next day.
Buen Camino

Unfortunately there is no more an overnight train with couchettes/sleepers from Paris/Austerlitz to Bayonne. I always thought of these night trains as my camino version of the Orient Express. The romance is gone and now only daytime TGVs go from Paris/Montparnasse to Bayonne.

For schedules and prices see www.Oui.SNCF.

Thank you all for your responses - it seems far easier to travel from Paris, as you all have suggested. Thanks again for your help, everyone!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back