• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transporting bags along the route

abundell

My wife and I want to hike the complete Camino Frances over the course of about a month. She can handle the hiking part, but because of an issue with her back, she cannot carry a heavy backpack. We know there are tour companies that transport bags on a daily basis, but we would prefer to hike on our own and also to avoid the huge expense of a tour (I could not find any month long trips for less than $5000 per person). Does anyone know of a way to have our bags transported ahead on a daily basis? Or is there some inexpensive group way to do this?

Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It is actually quite easy. It need not be planned ahead of time. Every albergue and pilgrim office has advertisements posted by local taxi and others offering to carry packs to the next stage. They are locals and happy to have the business.
I do not know personally how it works...but know that it is widely used by many people with the same concern as you.
Just wait until you get there and it will be easily done. I am not aware of the cost..but much cheaper than contracting with a "tour" complany ahead of time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2008 I met an Australian man who dislocated his shoulder early on the Camino, and who then needed to get his pack transported. I think it mostly cost him about 7 Euro a day, and it was easy enough to organise. However, it did limit the albergues he could stay in, as they would only deliver to the albergues that accepted such deliveries- which meant he often had to choose private places rather than municipal/church ones. (In some towns though I think he could have it delivered to a bar, and then just had to get it from a bar to an albergue of his choice.)
Margaret

I used baggage transfers for our two group walks in June and in September.
Jacotrans - Jacotrans@jacotrans.com - is the one company that seems to have the Camino Frances covered from Roncesvalles all the way to Galicia after which there is some competition with Xacotrans. info@xacotrans.com

There are individual taxi owners who pick up and deliver bags in their areas so the drivers change along the route.

Jacotrans charge €7 per bag per stage for up to 6 bags and then on a sliding scale €1 less per bag up to 12 bags. What we did was carry our normal backpacks with raingear, a jacket, blister kits and medication, food and water for the day. We then packed all extra stuff like sandals, washing bags, toiletries, guidebooks etc into a daypack. Our group got together and two people shared one large shopping bag with two daypacks in each bag and shared the cost. Jacotrans have special envelopes that you put your money into and tie onto the bag.

If you send baggage ahead you need to have booked accommodation so that they know where to deliver your bags. If you have all accommodation booked (as we did) you can pay upfront and give them a list of where you'll be staying each day. Then all you do is tie a luggage label onto the bag each day with your name and the next place you'll be staying.

We had absolutely no problems with baggage transfers. The bags are usually collected just after 8am and are delivered by 2pm each day.

The amaWalkers Camino walks cover three sections of the Camino Frances over three weeks. I can help you with suggestions for accommodation on those three sections if you like and I'm sure with the help of the others on the forum we can find you places to stay in the other villages and towns.
(Our three week walks cost €930 from St Jean and a little less if you start at Roncesvalles).

Baggage service is advertised in the albergues, hotels, tourist offices, and trees/posts all along the route. You will not have any problem finding a service. It is generally done by taxis except in the bigger cities. The hospitalero can hook you up with a reliable service.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jacotrans is one of the services that picks up bags here in Santo Domingo de la Calzada where I am serving (Oct 15-31) as a hospìtalera. It's pretty simple. People leave their bags with payment inside a special envelope and the guy comes every morning and picks them up.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back