A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Transporting bikes from Pamplona to St Jean Pied de Port in May

Gita

Camino(s) past & future
May 17th 2018
Hi, I am riding the Camino in May 2018 and are having huge frustration finding out how to get from Pamplona to St Jean Pied de Port with my bike. we have the train from Barcelona, but the buses don't confirm if they take bikes (ie Alsa).
How have other people transported their bike to the start please?

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Hi, I am riding the Camino in May 2018 and are having huge frustration finding out how to get from Pamplona to St Jean Pied de Port with my bike. we have the train from Barcelona, but the buses don't confirm if they take bikes (ie Alsa).
How have other people transported their bike to the start please?

You might begin in Pamplona and thus avoid biking over/through the Pyrenees.

Howver you might also consider a train from Barcelona to Irun, Spain. Bike the short trip over the bridge from Irun to Hendaye, France rr station. Take local TER train to Bayonne and another local TER train to St Jean Pied de Port. TER trains in France do transport bikes.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:

Finisterre

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria 2001,
Porto 2006,
Valenca 2008,
Finisterre 2010,
SJdPP 2012,
Tui 2014.

No plans to return, yet.
I've seen bikes stuffed into the undercarriage luggage space. I have never tried to take a bike on a bus but people do tend to be very helpful in Spain, in my somewhat dated experience.

Kurt5280

Crazy Enough To Try It Again!
Camino(s) past & future
Frances: SJPDP to Finisterre & Muxia 9/15 (MTB) - Norte: Bayonne to Muxia & Finisterre 9/18 (MTB)
I biked the Camino Frances several years ago from SJPdP to Muxia...my advice is...take a taxi or bus to Roncesvalles and leave the bike there in storage...then take any of the contantly arriving taxis back to SJPdP and spend the night...and the next day hike back to Roncesvalles and start biking from Roncesvalles.

Please note that it is very difficult to bike uphill from SJPdP...so pushing a bike uphill over the Pyrnees Mountains is not an experience that I will ever do again...and it is even more difficult in high winds...so hiking from SJPdP to Roncesvalles is my suggestion.

Lastly, there are taxis that specifically take Bici Pilgrims from the Pamplona Airport to Roncesvalles with their bikes...and also there is a bus in town that will take you to Roncesvalles so just slide your bike in underneath the bus like luggage....but there are other ways to get there with a bike if you ask the local people.

Lastly, I booked a room in Roncesvalles at the a Casa de los Beneficidos on Booking.com...and they stored my mountain bike in the locked wine storage room...and also I am including two maps to help you on your Camino.

Attachments

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 146 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 245 25.0%