• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transporting my bike by coach

Chris Merrien

Time of past OR future Camino
I want to cycle from Fromista to Santiago de Compostela in September this year
I will be transporting my bike on the ALSA coach from Santander to Burgos on the morning of 17th September. I understand that I have to have it packed in a container. Can I hire a container for the journey and if so how do I go about it please? (I will be doing a repeat of this excercise when I return from Santiago to Santander on the coach, so again will require a similar service)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Google the terms Santander and bikes to obtain a list of local bike shops. Since the ferry from Britain docks at Santander the shops should be used to a request such as yours.

Good luck and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Google the terms Santander and bikes to obtain a list of local bike shops. Since the ferry from Britain docks at Santander the shops should be used to a request such as yours.

Good luck and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Hi Margaret
Many thanks for your help with this. I will be staying in Santander when I arrive on the first day, so I will try out the cycle shops.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will be transporting my bike on the ALSA coach from Santander to Burgos on the morning of 17th September. I understand that I have to have it packed in a container. Can I hire a container for the journey and if so how do I go about it please? (I will be doing a repeat of this excercise when I return from Santiago to Santander on the coach, so again will require a similar service)
I transported my bike on Alsa this year when it was very cold, windy and raining horizontally on the meseta. Alsa sells bags at the ticket counter. They cost about 8 euros. You take the front wheel off and put it all in their bag, and Bob's your uncle. If they don't have any at the ticket counter go to a Chinese bazaar and buy plastic wrap and wrap it. Nothing fancy here. But chances are good that they will have their bag for you at the ticket counter.

I transported my bike on Alsa this year when it was very cold, windy and raining horizontally on the meseta. Alsa sells bags at the ticket counter. They cost about 8 euros. You take the front wheel off and put it all in their bag, and Bob's your uncle. If they don't have any at the ticket counter go to a Chinese bazaar and buy plastic wrap and wrap it. Nothing fancy here. But chances are good that they will have their bag for you at the ticket counter.
That is really good to know. Many thanks for that. I feel really assured with that. Looking forward to my camino.

Hi Chris,
Your easiest solution might be to buy some plastic at home and make up a simple envelope you can drape over the bike. Fold it up and carry with you. With care it can be used multiple times. I have done so and it was not necessary to seal at the bottom.
Buen camino enjoy
Justin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Justin,
Love your simple solution. Am I understanding correctly that you didn't have to take the front wheel off, and you just draped the plastic over the bike to cover the greasy chain and gears and rolled right on to the bus? Thanks for the info.
Judy

Hi Chris,
Your easiest solution might be to buy some plastic at home and make up a simple envelope you can drape over the bike. Fold it up and carry with you. With care it can be used multiple times. I have done so and it was not necessary to seal at the bottom.
Buen camino enjoy
Justin
Hi Justin
Many thanks for that suggestion. Sounds very economical as well. Much appreciated good advice. Chris

ALSA only allow 4 bikes at a time on their vehicles, the bags are great but I think they are 10 euros.
Front wheel off, luggage separately.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ALSA only allow 4 bikes at a time on their vehicles, the bags are great but I think they are 10 euros.
Front wheel off, luggage separately.
Many thanks for that- I will get booking my coach!

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back