• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transporting walking poles on airplanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrosado1

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2013)
How? Can I just tie them together and check them? They don't collapse into my bag. Advise?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I tied mine to my pack and checked it as luggage (one free bag on Iberia). Worked fine both ways.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lise T said:
Sojourner47 said:
What are "pool noodles"??

Whoops sorry...

http://www.pararubber.co.nz/img/p/511-884-large.jpg
They are used as pool toys....and also in aqua aerobics.

You can cut a slit down the side of the noodle and pop your pole in there.

Found the original thread
el-camino-frances/topic16089.html#p114260

And the comment:

DAuntDeb said:
I brought my telescoping Leki hiking poles and checked them. I was (overly) nervous about them getting bent or broken so I bought one of those "noodles" you use in the swimming pool to help float. I cut the noodle into six pieces across and then one cut vertically on one side to protect all the parts and used duct tape to connect all the pieces. The longest piece covered the pole from the lower edge of the handle to the part that is shaped like a circle. Then I attached them to my backpack using its various staps and do-hickeys as well as using a long piece of velco, a put the whole thing into an Osprey backpack bag and checked it. It worked really well for me. This system protected my sticks on planes, trains, ferries, buses and taxis from the US to France, Spain, Morocco, Spain, France and home again. I shipped the noodles ahead to Santiago with other stuff to avoid carrying them on the camino. You will need extra duct tape for post camino. This exercise was probably overkill but I got the peace of mind I needed in this category. It cost me less than $5.

Good idea, though I've never heard of these in the UK (but then I lead a very quiet life...lol)
A similar thing we have is copper pipe insulating tubes, made from foam, with a slit already cut in them so would be easy to insert the pole sections.

I used a FedEx shipping carton (12in x 24in) to check my pacer poles on Lufthansa. Cost me $2 at the local shipping office.

You can also buy mailing tubes at some stationery stores. Pool noodles sound like an excellent idea!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back