• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transports Claudine

Richo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2014; Via Podiensis 2017.
hi there
I'm currently about halfway through the Le Puy to SJPP Chemin and have just spoken to Transporte Claudine who is winding up her service early this year, on 15 October which will not give me enough time to finish. She said the only option after that is a taxi which could be inconvenient and costly.
Has anybody had the experience of using taxis in the later stages of Le Chemin?
I do not have the option of carrying the extra load due to a back condition
Thanks!
Richo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I worry for you because Transports Claudine is, I believe, the principal (only?) bag transporter for the second half of the GR 65 (the Chemin du Puy).

I can only offer a "long shot" suggestion. Stop in one of the tourist offices and see whether they have any options for you. There will be offices in Figeac, Cahors, Montcuq, and other towns. They are marked in the Miam Miam Dodo. If you don't have that guide, you can probably ask other hikers to look at theirs or look in the places you stay - there's usually a copy laying around.

Good luck and bon chemin.

Tom

Hello Rico
Yes it is not unusual on the Le Puy route for the baggage services to stop mid October, depending on the bookings they have.
I spoke to the Claudine driver on our sector, and she thought she was going to work to the end of the month. So all may not be lost yet. La Malle Postale are definitely finished the 15th.
Taxis may be an option, but very expensive.
Could you separate the minimum you need and carry that, forwarding what you don’t need by post or transport to St Jean, for collection. Not ideal I know but hopefully it might help.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm not sure about getting taxis at that time of year, but generally I had a very easy time hitchhiking along the route. Many of the pilgrims I walked with had also hitchhiked at one point, with no problems.

As there isn't much between towns, locals driving along the route are usually passing through where you want to end up!

Buen Camino

Today is Oct 3, and you are halfway through, meaning you at at - or near - Cahors. That leaves three weeks at most to reach SJPP. It is only the last week of your walk that you won't have coverage by transport; so you should be able to reach Aire sur l'Ador or maybe Navarrenx before Oct 15. Both those are larger towns, with transport connections, tourism offices, and maybe even taxi services. So you can get most of the way you had planned.

The rest might need to wait until your next Chemin.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Richo,
Spoke to the Transport Claudine driver today, they are definitely going to the end of the month...
Enjoy your Chemin...

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.