• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Trash

Jerri Kerley

Time of past OR future Camino
09/2017-11/2017
I am currently walking the Camino Frances and am noticing tissues everywhere. It is inevitable the you will have to urinate/defecate along the way, PLEASE pack your trash out. All you have to do is keep a plastic/Ziplock bag with you to put your trash in, then through it away when you get to a trashcan. I know tissues are "biodegradable ", but it takes a while for the process to occur and, in the meantime, litter is left all along our beautiful Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am currently walking the Camino Frances and am noticing tissues everywhere. It is inevitable the you will have to urinate/defecate along the way, PLEASE pack your trash out. All you have to do is keep a plastic/Ziplock bag with you to put your trash in, then through it away when you get to a trashcan. I know tissues are "biodegradable ", but it takes a while for the process to occur and, in the meantime, litter is left all along our beautiful Camino.

It is disgusting. In some areas, it was so prevalent that my son and I joked that toilet paper could replace the yellow arrows as way markers. :eek::(:mad:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There's no excuse for it! And no, it is not 'inevitable' to defecate on the camino francés, unless you are taken very ill suddenly... That can't be helped if you're unlucky enough... Quite rare though I'd think :rolleyes:
No excuses really for all those tissues littering the path :(

I must say though that when I walked it last in the Summer 2016, it was remarkably clean. I guess some wonderful souls had been hard working?

It was not bad in late spring, must be from the crush during the summer. Take only pictures, leave only foot prints...not TP!

There's no excuse for it! And no, it is not 'inevitable' to defecate on the camino francés, unless you are taken very ill suddenly... That can't be helped if you're unlucky enough... Quite rare though I'd think :rolleyes:

I must say though that when I walked it last in the Summer 2016, it was remarkably clean. I guess some wonderful souls had been hard working?
In 2015 I saw lots of toilet paper, but this past spring I thought it looked like there was much less TP along the trail. I assumed the "ditch pigs" had "rooted around" and did a nice job of cleaning up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It's always an option to pick some of the trash up rather than simply marching by.
I did that for some days out of Pamplona along the Frances this spring and was surprised by how good it made me feel. My life and schedule precludes being a hospitalera so this was a very satisfying way to give back. It feels a whole lot better than complaining about trash, too.;)

And if more and more of us do that, maybe others will take the hint?
Take gloves, tongs, and plastic bags you can deposit in the next town's trash bins when they're full (don't leave them on the camino!). One super thing about ditch pigging is that being in a hurry is out, as looking around and picking up undercuts the 'getting-there mind.'

[Edit - some additional thoughts from another thread...:
Today I got invited (and accepted) to participate in a Camino clean up organized by the Galician Amigos - 10th June. It is a one day event - I am more than happy to participate in!- BUT I hope that what @Viranani did and what I will do WILL inspire more pilgrims to a) not 'drop' any rubbish on the way and b] to pick up what others have dropped 'accidentally'. BC SY
What strikes me about [picking up] litter is that most people don't have any understanding of the cumulative effect of their behavior multiplied by 200,000. Since there will be no end to the need for this, it's best to spread the work around so that a few people don't have to do all the heavy lifting. We have as pilgrims a responsibility to take care of the way. So thank you, everyone for doing that.
And if you really want to make a difference, consider joining the main contingent of Ditch Pigs that @Rebekah Scott mobilizes every winter! I wish I could...it looks like a lot of fun.]

Last edited:
Because of the ditch pigs & individuals willing to clean up after others by spring not bad on the Camino, that is back in 2014.
I never could understand why it seems so difficult to carry a small trowel or use disposable gloves.
I walked with a couple & one of them had bladder issues & she would have to stop & do her business no time for waiting. She never left anything. People seem to be a little too spoiled to simply take responsibility.
That said sometimes it just happens so try to at least carry a light garden trowel.
For healthy adults there seems to be plenty of places that have very good facilities. Just don't ignore them when walking by. Just a good reason to stop & look around.

I never could understand why it seems so difficult to carry a small trowel or use disposable gloves.
Well, neither can most of us. But we seem to be a minority: there's a whole industry catering to the needs of people who have no qualms about leaving TP here and there:
'camouflage' toilet paper
(I learned something today, @Tincatinker. Really?! Honestly, I was sure you were joking. But Dr. Google says it exists, so it must.
Just think what would happen if they started selling this along the Frances.
On one hand there wouldn't be the visual pollution...but on the other...ugh. The fringes of the trail would be much more dangerous to the unwary (and to Ditch Pigs) without the little white warning flags.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

It's not as uncommon as you think. Unfortunately, I've had this untimely experience twice before Burgos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What an appalling site awaits the Autumn when the 'sins' left behind every bush and tree are laid bare when the leaves fall .
I must admit that on the rare occasion that I missed a crucial way mark the sight of tissues behind bushes confirmed the route such is the pervasiveness of this litter .
One sunny day I heard a blood curdling scream some fifty metres ahead , the young German Pilgrim had inadvertently ' sat' on a clump of Stinging Nettles , I felt sorry for her , that is until I passed the spot and saw the mess of tissue left behind .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m currently in Estella, enjoying a private room. I became very ill a few days ago, so I’m trying to shake the”grippe”.

A note about tissues and wet wipes: I’ve seen Spanish women leaving these behind, and I’m not going to say anything to them!

I’ve made myself pick up 20 items per day, spike with pole tip, in bag.

I’m currently in Estella, enjoying a private room. I became very ill a few days ago, so I’m trying to shake the”grippe”.

A note about tissues and wet wipes: I’ve seen Spanish women leaving these behind, and I’m not going to say anything to them!

So sorry to hear you were ill and hope you are feeling back to normal by now.

How kind of you to help clean the path. Just think...you get the title of a "ditch pig"! It's not often we women want to be called pigs, but in your case it is an honor. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Bummer about the illness Deb, with you getting a bug you probably ott not pick up others contaminated trash. Rest my friend.
Keith

This would have to be the one thing that has really disappointed me on the trail. I always take my own rubbish with me and do pick up regular rubbish, but the thought of picking up other peoples used toilet paper makes me gag.
In one stop - Cafe Movil - there were signs everywhere (of a man peeing with a big red cross through it). Unfortunately there were no toilets for 6 km before the stop and 7 kms after.
Given that the numbers will not decrease perhaps a small levy at the start of the walk to assist providing more toilets and rubbish bins (happy to provide my own paper.) The problem will not go away if it is not addressed.

Okay i get it... i did a double negative.
I live with the grammer police... you are not helping.

I think the ratio of the wrong behaving pilgrims is not so high... but if you have thousands of pilgrims... and if there is trash on the ground it is probably "easier" to throw the own trash beneath it.
Maybe a little bit more awareness and information about the "right" way would do the trick.

How about a information paper that everyone gets if someone gets the credential?
What about a great slogan (for trash-avoidance)? I cannot do this... one could make a contest here in the forum... or maybe in each albergue?
Or logo + slogan for camino badges?
How about small plastic-bags-for-free for "ditch pigs" in each albergue?

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
At one point, somewhere around Leon, Sohee and I played a game called "count the human turds." We counted eight within easy eye distance of the Camino in one day. Pretty disgusting. Some were even on the Camino itself. We guessed it was the people walking at night.

Yes, this is an on-going problem, esp after Sarria. Every albergue should post a sign, in multiple languages, about dealing with body waste. Women are the biggest offenders re TP, but there are many ways to avoid leaving your mess behind. Carry a zip lock bag to pack out your TP. Wear a light days pad for the after drips. Take the time to air dry. Wear a skirt and no undies.

And then there is the BM issue, which I have only encountered once, on the VdlP. For about a 500 km stretch there was someone who had his daily dump along the side of the road, and left a tissue flag waving from the top. On one particularly long hot stretch, there was a single shade tree, and sure enough, he had made use of it. Same for a couple of lovely picnic spots.

But back to Sarria to Santiago....Should the local governent install some porta potties along the way? Surely there is enough indication of a need for them?

At one point, somewhere around Leon, Sohee and I played a game called "count the human turds." We counted eight within easy eye distance of the Camino in one day. Pretty disgusting. Some were even on the Camino itself. We guessed it was the people walking at night.
Lol, hopefully after looking at all that poo, neither of you had dreams of poo :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In 2014 and on one of the earler stages where there is one of the big black 'el Toro de Osborne' on the left of the trail (can't remember what town was coming up) but the trash on the side of the path was so thick that it was stratified. It must have been there for years. I just don't get it. Guess it was all my years in teaching Leave No Trace.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Solutions for women that do not involve tissues or toilet paper...
Use a leaf
Drip dry
Wear a sanitary pad.
And blokes, don't stand and pee right by the side of the road. It's not pretty and it's pretty offensive.

I noted the prevalence of tissues too - no doubt some dropped unknowing
Y, and some effectively toilet paper... I have mused many times on the commercial opportunities for rural land owners to put down coin-operated portaloos...

Public toilet facilities seemed to be minimal all along the Camino SJPP to Leon, and I cannot se that changing as I near Santiago...

Just musing, but would you pay 0.50€ to spend a penny in private, if not in comfort, or would you go au naturel, if you had a choice?

Maybe it helps if 'a little spade and plastic bags' are on the exemple backpack lists. By than people think about it before leaving home.
I walked in September from SJPdP to Burgos and when I needed to stop and looked for a nice spot I saw that I wasn't the first one. Blgh!! It felt so good to use my little spade and nobody could see that somebody was there before.

Solutions for women that do not involve tissues or toilet paper...
Use a leaf
Drip dry
Wear a sanitary pad.
And blokes, don't stand and pee right by the side of the road. It's not pretty and it's pretty offensive.
Lol stopping male urination along a country roads or for that matter public roads in general will only happen when you have law enforcement with the laws to enforce actually there to witness. In other words no matter the gender,it will continue.

I did the whole Camino Frances last year and just finished a leg from Pamplona to Leon and I must say tissue along the stretch I just finished Wednesday is littered with tissue more than last. Come on Pilgrims the Camino does not deserve a line of tissue from town to town! Most restroom are cleaner than some areas on the Camino! ☹️

I railed about plastic supermarket bags of rubbish caught in the tree branches crossing the Pyrenees back in 2001 only to be told that people go out and pick rubbish and hang the bags for it to be collected later.
There are some kind souls in the world - not sure I'd want to litter pick used tissues though!

Hi there. I'm also walking at the moment in Ventosa. It's there.. so are rubbish bins, electricity cables, all sorts of unsightly paraphernalia of careless modern life. Don't add to it . Just don't focus on it. Don't let it steal the beauty of your Camino.

In 2015 I saw lots of toilet paper, but this past spring I thought it looked like there was much less TP along the trail. I assumed the "ditch pigs" had "rooted around" and did a nice job of cleaning up.
Last year when I walked in Sept. I thought it was way less than in 2013 and 2014, but it is still a very bad sight and would those that make the mess do it in their own homes, I guess that would not.

I previously read that the Spaniards are the ones who litter. I don't know how that can be determined.
All we can do is not leave any litter.
Kudos to you for picking up 20 pieces of trash daily! I'm going to follow your lead and do the same next year on my next Camino.

Yes, this is an on-going problem, esp after Sarria. Every albergue should post a sign, in multiple languages, about dealing with body waste. Women are the biggest offenders re TP, but there are many ways to avoid leaving your mess behind. Carry a zip lock bag to pack out your TP. Wear a light days pad for the after drips. Take the time to air dry. Wear a skirt and no undies.

And then there is the BM issue, which I have only encountered once, on the VdlP. For about a 500 km stretch there was someone who had his daily dump along the side of the road, and left a tissue flag waving from the top. On one particularly long hot stretch, there was a single shade tree, and sure enough, he had made use of it. Same for a couple of lovely picnic spots.

But back to Sarria to Santiago....Should the local governent install some porta potties along the way? Surely there is enough indication of a need for them?

No to Porta Potties! Ugh!

But, walking at the end of October/November from St Jean we were surprised at how few bins there were along the way. Or notices about not leaving litter.

We didn't stay much in albergues but some 'education' posted in them would be a good idea. And the suggestion of having something printed in the credential is a great one.

I didn't pick up any litter en route, I admit, but litter picker packs (with gloves and a bag and tongs) could be made available to be handed in at the next albergue. I'm sure with enough prompting people would happily oblige. I'd even donate the cost of the pack.

I'm not sure all the tissue dropped is loo related...it was literally draped on the bushes on the path. Its nose blowers I suspect!

Finally are there any litter picking initiatives in place....I'd be interested in going back for a few days to help if there is.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
litter picker packs (with gloves and a bag and tongs) could be made available to be handed in at the next albergue. I'm sure with enough prompting people would happily oblige. I'd even donate the cost of the pack.
My experience of walking along the way with tongs and plastic bag is that no-one seems so interested in doing more than watch. Not to rain on yoru parade, Jo - it's a good idea - it's just that the appeal may be limited. But it's no small thing to do what you can do, directly and personally, to leave the camino cleaner than you found it. That's plenty!

Finally are there any litter picking initiatives in place....I'd be interested in going back for a few days to help if there is.
Yes. Search on this forum for 'Ditch Pigs.' Rebekah Scott, who lives in Moratinos, organizes a trash-picking party every Winter. In fact, they may be out there poking around in the undergrowth right about now.

Ditch Pigs 2017 finished up on 1 December. We cleared up trash from Castrojeriz to San Nicolas del Real Camino, with a bit of Rabe del Calzada and Camino Madrid thrown in, too. Sheffield James and Tyrrek (of this forum) took some photos, as did Wise Pilgrim (he of the guides), but they have yet to post them here...
the world is waiting, guys!

Ditch Pigs 2017 finished up on 1 December. We cleared up trash from Castrojeriz to San Nicolas del Real Camino, with a bit of Rabe del Calzada and Camino Madrid thrown in, too. Sheffield James and Tyrrek (of this forum) took some photos, as did Wise Pilgrim (he of the guides), but they have yet to post them here...
And if you can’t be a pig, you can donate to feed a pig...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the backpacking world LNT (Leave No Trace) is huge, and that includes not leaving behind any organic material, ie. food waste is to be carried out. Human waste is buried in non-sensitive areas and so hikers usually carry little spades or use their hiking poles to dig a hole 6” deep to make their ‘deposit’, then either carry away their TP or use a portable bidet system to clean.

A very small and lightweight (a few grams) trowel is the Deuce of Spades, which could be carried by any walker or hiker for the rare time one is caught short.

http://thetentlab.com/Deuce/DeuceofSpadespage.html

Women - get yourself a Pibella. Unlike other brands, these ones work. Clever Swiss design. Almost foolproof. No need for tissues anymore. No need to remove pack. So discrete - especially if you wear a skirt. Mine is now a constant in my handbag.

For those of you who are able to control bowel movements between indoor facilities, how lucky you are! Between Sarria and Santiago de Compostela, we frequently found waiting times for the sometimes one bathroom for women to be about 30 minutes. Since ventilation was sometimes extremely unhealthy in these situations... mother earth was a better alternative for us. We carry dog poop bags, tissues, hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes. If your using poles, it pays to clean the handles periodically. I think many Germs are passed through the handles.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that Pilgrims should attempt to pick up other peoples defacations, But.
In the UK we have a doyen golf commentator of vintage. His name is Peter Allis.
He suggests that good golfers repair two pitch marks on the green, (golf balls cause indentations when they land on the smooth surface near to the hole). By repairing TWO pitch marks, yours, and the one 'missed' by someone else, each green will finish in pristine condition.
The same could be said of the Camino. If each walker picked up one piece of rubbish per day, we would be left with a near clean footpath.

One sunny day I heard a blood curdling scream some fifty metres ahead , the young German Pilgrim had inadvertently ' sat' on a clump of Stinging Nettles , I felt sorry for her , that is until I passed the spot and saw the mess of tissue left behind .

I was not there at the time and do not know the full circumstances or the view that you had. However, in the lady's defence it might be the case that there was already a considerable pile of tissue there before she reached the place. My impression is that for a lot of the way there are relatively few hidden places that someone in urgent need might prefer to use and so the more obvious locations gather a disproportionate amount of the evidence.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ll set the ball rolling with this photo of Wise Pilgrim. Fingers-crossed I’ve remembered the lessons given to me by my fellow ditch pigs.

Attachments

• F8BC34A9-DE02-45D1-A473-C6DF1EC14388.jpeg
    F8BC34A9-DE02-45D1-A473-C6DF1EC14388.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
I’ll set the ball rolling with this photo of Wise Pilgrim. Fingers-crossed I’ve remembered the lessons given to me by my fellow ditch pigs.
...And here’s a few photos of the ground we covered around Castrojeriz + Carrion de les Condes (sp?).

Attachments

• C5EFF6DE-D8CF-4BEB-9F2B-EADE609C2248.jpeg
    C5EFF6DE-D8CF-4BEB-9F2B-EADE609C2248.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
  • E88FB624-0A45-48E9-B3C3-B3539ED51452.jpeg
    E88FB624-0A45-48E9-B3C3-B3539ED51452.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
  • C4CE2E4F-F595-4DBD-8057-132D43940399.jpeg
    C4CE2E4F-F595-4DBD-8057-132D43940399.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • CD9BD030-3C54-4D6E-BF9E-4591157F7757.jpeg
    CD9BD030-3C54-4D6E-BF9E-4591157F7757.jpeg
    749.5 KB · Views: 31
  • C2C19E8C-50D8-4B5C-9DE0-10F89AE6FE98.jpeg
    C2C19E8C-50D8-4B5C-9DE0-10F89AE6FE98.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 54AD33EF-C71E-4654-8395-862A439353F4.jpeg
    54AD33EF-C71E-4654-8395-862A439353F4.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 27
  • D00C3C03-79C6-42CC-8348-0173112913C2.jpeg
    D00C3C03-79C6-42CC-8348-0173112913C2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
Id rather love to know what idiots erase kms from milestones?

Walking camino now and seen dozens vandalized stones.

The mileage thingies were etched into bits of steel, part of a "spend the public Camino-related money any possible way before the end of the year, or we won´t get any next year" plan. Which I assume the steel tags were quickly removed by thieves and sold for scrap. Spain has some of the most zealous and ingenious metal scavengers I´ve ever seen... they tore the steel plate off the top of a nearby well a few years ago to trade for cash, and left us with an eyesore and public health hazard for months after. (No one could say who the well belongs to, or who was responsible for sealing it back up!)

Mileage is only meaningless numbers and symbols. You have to just keep walking anyway.

It is disgusting. In some areas, it was so prevalent that my son and I joked that toilet paper could replace the yellow arrows as way markers. :eek::(:mad:
This is discouraging to me as I'm a bit squeamish. In fact, last year the thought of it put me off going on the camino at all. I am planning to walk this year but may take an alternate route. Had thought to camp on meseta, but I fear I'd be camping in a toilet. I wonder how things are along the other routes. How are the toilets along the Frances? Anyone with experience of the other routes able to respond?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I thought the Ingles was remarkably clean - didn't see any toilet waste and just the odd empty cigarette packet and crisp (chip) wrappers nearer to towns but I think those were more "local" waste than from pilgrims but then I saw less than 10 pilgrims over the whole Camino (not counting a bus load of touregrinos). Almost no bars between towns.
The CP (from Porto onwards) was pretty clean too though that was 3 years ago but, again, bars were few and far between.
As for the CF - there are more bars and bars have toilets (remember to buy something though - they're not there for the good of your bladder) but if there were enough toilets then people wouldn't need to make like a bear in the woods.
Don't recall seeing that many camp sites across the Mesata ;) and, as noted elsewhere on the forum, wild camping is discouraged in Spain. Besides there's no cover - imagine camping out on the pitcher's mound at the Dodgers' stadium (insert a large, open playing space of your choice).
You'll need to re-train your bodily functions I'm afraid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just back from the Mozárabe/Vdlp in springtime and it was wonderful to realize that all those white spolotches on the ground were petals from the jara flowers and not toilet paper!
Hey, then. Think I'll go there.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.