• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Advice from Sydney, Australia to SJPdP

Mack

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017 Sarria to Santiago de Compostela
I'd welcome any advice from those who have travelled travelled from Sydney to St Jean Pied de Port as to the best (including quickest) way to travel there.

I'm thinking flying to Paris (CDG), getting the fast train from CDG to Bayonne and then another train to SJPdP. Or is going to Madrid and then train better?

Or any other suggestion?

Whilst at it any particular airline recommended? The Paris route I can do with Cathay Pacific but if Qantas or BA it will take me through Heathrow to Paris. Same applies if going to Madrid.

Cost is also a factor. I'm planning to leave Sydney 10 April to arrive in St Jean late on the 11th and leave there to start my Camino on the morning of 13th.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've done it a few times Mack. I've done it from Sydney through Paris three times, and Madrid twice and once through Barcelona. I find the easiest, quickest and cheapest, is through Madrid. It's a less busy airport than Paris, and accommodation and land transport is cheaper in Madrid than Paris. There are even buses direct from Madrid airport to Pamplona, and from there a local bus to SJPDP.

Emirates or Qantas to Madrid via Dubai is my preferred option - good connections and less time in the air.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've done it a few times Mack. I've done it from Sydney through Paris three times, and Madrid twice and once through Barcelona. I find the easiest, quickest and cheapest, is through Madrid. It's a less busy airport than Paris, and accommodation and land transport is cheaper in Madrid than Paris. There are even buses direct from Madrid airport to Pamplona, and from there a local bus to SJPDP.

Emirates or Qantas to Madrid via Dubai is my preferred option - good connections and less time in the air.

Thanks for your reply. Since Qantas do not go through Dubai anymore I had checked Emirates but their price was more than the others. Qantas to Madrid go Singapore - Heathrow - Madrid.

Your comment on land transport helps me and thank you for that.

I recently went Singapore airlines from Brisbane to Singapore Frankfurt Madrid, then caught the bus to Pamplona. I imagine you could do similar from Sydney.... Frankfurt airport is huge and busy, I probably wouldn't do it that way again, but I didn't enjoy Dubai airport either on the way home so maybe I'm just hard to please

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recently purchased tickets for our mid-March camino - Melb-Paris through Qatar Airways, stopping at Dosa. Have not flown with them before but have had great reviews and the tickets were far cheaper than Qantas and Emirates. We are departing from Madrid so I know they service this airport. We are spending a few days in Paris before getting the train down to SJPDP. Happy planning!

I'm thinking flying to Paris (CDG), getting the fast train from CDG to Bayonne and then another train to SJPdP

Hello Mack. We flew Emirates to Paris in March last year via Singapore and Dubai prior to commencing our Camino in StJPdP. We stayed four days in Paris as we'd never been to Paris previously. We then took the TGV fast train to Bayonne but unfortunately our connecting train from Bayonne to StJPdP was cancelled due to a train strike. We only found that out when we arrived in Bayonne as the strike did not affect the TGV trains. We then took a bus to StJPdP arriving at app the same time the train should have. The problem was trying to find where the bus left from. The porters (or whatever they're called) at the Bayonne train station gave us incorrect bus advice which would have had us taking a bus leaving four hours later than we eventually did.
At the time we chose Emirates as we'd used them before and we were very happy with how we were looked after..... and there was very little difference between airline prices from Australia (we flew out of Brisbane) at that time.
My brother is flying to Rome early next year with Qatar Airlines. He does a fair bit of research before he travels and found Qatar Airlines have a very good reputation and their prices were considerably lower than Emirates/Qantas or Etihad. In the end, shopping around you should be able to get some good deals.
Buen Camino.

I suggest EasyJet from CDG to Biarritz, then Express Burricot shuttle van from Biarritz to SJPDP.

-Paul

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mack, I have just returned from my Camino and I flew Singapore Airlines to Paris. via Singapore. On arrival in Paris I took the Le Bus transfer from the airport which dropped me at Montparnasse train station for my trip to Bayonne. I booked my train ticket with plenty of time between. Took the direct train 3 hours, once in Bayonne I only had 30 minutes to wait for the lovely train to St Jean. I found this was great, no hassle but a long day. Prices were fantastic on Singapore Airlines when I booked.
Looked at all options and this was the best deal at the time. I had two nights in St Jean before I started to walk, I’m glad I did as I loved my time before my Camino commenced.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Since Qantas do not go through Dubai anymore I had checked Emirates but their price was more than the others. Qantas to Madrid go Singapore - Heathrow - Madrid.

Your comment on land transport helps me and thank you for that.

hola @Mack, Qantas still flying via Dubai until mid March 2018; after that you can still fly Emirates, two flights per day direct, third via a Bangkok or after March, Qantas to Singapore & London, or change to Emirates. I have even through both Madrid & Paris CDG & they are about the same (to me). The problem as I see it is the final leg into St Jean, both are “involved” (again from my view). Either way what I will recommend is a day off to get over the jet lag, where is your choice: Paris, Madrid, St Jean. Buen Camino

We flew to Heathrow, train to Stanstead, Ryanair to Biarritz. Well, that was the plan, but due to a plane delay we ended up doing Heathrow to Stanstead by taxi, having haggled the driver down to a less eye-watering fare. Bit of a comedy of errors, really, it was Boxing Day and the Ryanair flight was chock-a-block with crying children a (and crying parents). We didn't know whether to laugh or cry, either, by then. Arrived in SJPdP at night, delirious with exhaustion. It was pitch black and below freezing. I'd take anyone else's advice about how to get there :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Singapore Airlines fly directly to Paris, stopping at Singapore on the way. I always go with the least number of connections as well as cost. From Paris, catch the TGV, then smaller train to SJPDP. There is a TGV from the CDG airport, or catch it in Paris and stay close to Montparnasse station.

Mack, I have just returned from my Camino and I flew Singapore Airlines to Paris. via Singapore. On arrival in Paris I took the Le Bus transfer from the airport which dropped me at Montparnasse train station for my trip to Bayonne. I booked my train ticket with plenty of time between. Took the direct train 3 hours, once in Bayonne I only had 30 minutes to wait for the lovely train to St Jean. I found this was great, no hassle but a long day. Prices were fantastic on Singapore Airlines when I booked.
Looked at all options and this was the best deal at the time. I had two nights in St Jean before I started to walk, I’m glad I did as I loved my time before my Camino commenced.

This is the scenario I was coming to. Thanks for your input again. I had been told you can get the fast train to Bayonne from the airport station at CDG. Do you know if that is so? How far in time is it to the station you went to? I will book train tickets from here.

My plan is to have two nights in SJPdP to get over jet lag.

Singapore Airlines fly directly to Paris, stopping at Singapore on the way. I always go with the least number of connections as well as cost. From Paris, catch the TGV, then smaller train to SJPDP. There is a TGV from the CDG airport, or catch it in Paris and stay close to Montparnasse station.

Thanks. You answer one of my (many) questions. Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is the scenario I was coming to. Thanks for your input again. I had been told you can get the fast train to Bayonne from the airport station at CDG. Do you know if that is so? How far in time is it to the station you went to? I will book train tickets from here.

Mack, I have not done the Camino yet, so any advice from me is based on research, not experience!!!! Yes, you can get a train from CDG but they seem to be less frequent and more expensive. As you probably know, you can only book the train 3 months out, so I am just going on guesstimates. Based on advice given to me in previous posts, I am planning on catching the train in from CDG to Montparnasse station and then getting the fast train down from there (similar to Kazza57). Only difference is we are spending a day or two in Paris. Was thinking of going straight down to SJPDP however, we are dragging our children along with us and one of them gets travel sickness so need to have a bit of a break.

Mack, for the dates I was travelling the train from CDG did not suit and had a couple of stops and didn’t connect to St Jean. When I researched it was much easier to get to Montparnasse station and get the direct train. I have been to Paris before and just caught the train into the city but decided that after my long flight it would be less hassle just catching the Le Bus directly outside the airport and it dropped me in front of the Montparnasse station. I allowed about four hours from arrival in CDG to the train just in case of delays. Just grabbed some lunch at the station. You would have to check the schedules, you can not book until 3 months before.

Kazza can you please tell me more about Le Bus v catching a train in? thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mack, for the dates I was travelling the train from CDG did not suit and had a couple of stops and didn’t connect to St Jean. When I researched it was much easier to get to Montparnasse station and get the direct train. I have been to Paris before and just caught the train into the city but decided that after my long flight it would be less hassle just catching the Le Bus directly outside the airport and it dropped me in front of the Montparnasse station. I allowed about four hours from arrival in CDG to the train just in case of delays. Just grabbed some lunch at the station. You would have to check the schedules, you can not book until 3 months before.

Thanks for your advice - and all others who have posted. Much appreciated.

Thanks for clarifying the situation re CDG and Montparnasse. If I go via Paris I will follow your wisdom. Again, thanks.

Kazza can you please tell me more about Le Bus v catching a train in? thanks
Gumba, the Le Bus departs directly outside after immigration and baggage claim and takes you directly to Montparnasse Station with a stop at Gare de Lyon also. You get to see some of Paris on the way. They have different routes so you can also get it into the city or other stations. My reason was that I would have had to catch the RER from the airport then change to the metro to get to the station. Even though I have done this before I decided it would be better for me to have no hassles on arrival. Check out lebus direct website. You did say you were thinking of having a couple of nights in a Paris before your Camino so the train maybe a better option. The train from the airport is great but you may need to change trains and get on a metro to your destination.

Thanks Kazza. I will look into it. We are planning to stay near the Montparnasse station - so it piqued my interest!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I posted this in an earlier thread titled Travelling to sjpdp from Sydney.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/travelling-to-sjpdp-from-sydney.51169/#post-560743
There may be other relevant posts in the thread.

I have flown to Paris via Hong Kong, train from airport to Bayonne, train/bus to SJPdP.
This year I flew to Madrid via Seoul (can recommend Korean Airlines and an overnight stopever in Seoul :)), bus from airport to Pamplona, bus to SJPdP.
Both routes work fine. The Madrid option was cheaper and I loved the super long 19 hour layover in Seoul. I spent the night at a great little guesthouse close to airport that did airport transfers.
Buen camino.

I posted this in an earlier thread titled Travelling to sjpdp from Sydney.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/travelling-to-sjpdp-from-sydney.51169/#post-560743
There may be other relevant posts in the thread.

I have flown to Paris via Hong Kong, train from airport to Bayonne, train/bus to SJPdP.
This year I flew to Madrid via Seoul (can recommend Korean Airlines and an overnight stopever in Seoul :)), bus from airport to Pamplona, bus to SJPdP.
Both routes work fine. The Madrid option was cheaper and I loved the super long 19 hour layover in Seoul. I spent the night at a great little guesthouse close to airport that did airport transfers.
Buen camino.
So who paid for the guest house Heda - you or Korean Air?

Emirates was worthwhile for me last time because I deliberately picked a 17 and a half hour connection in Dubai and the ticket included hotel accommodation and meals at an airport hotel. It avoided the jet-lag on arrival in Madrid.

I like the sound of @HedaP's Seoul option.

I've only been back three weeks and you have me thinking about tickets!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So who paid for the guest house Heda - you or Korean Air?
I paid but my airfare was a super cheap bargain fare that I bought really early. I believe the normal Korean airfare covers accommodation but at a far posher place than my friendly little Incheon Happy Place Guesthouse.
sSx-B:safari-N:XX-S:bo-U:XX-H:s;sid=273c3cf4652a532ef472d5b689c32cba;dist=0&sb_price_type=total&type=total&
Did speak to a couple of aussies in the immigration queue who told me they always travel via Seoul because of the easy stopover and their hotel was included.
As for me I prefer the simple more authentic experience in a guesthouse but each to his own.
Mind you I love Hong Kong too and also Singapore. And all three airlines, Korean, Cathay and Singapore are very good airlines as are their airports. Though Incheon in Seoul has been voted best airport in the world for 12 years in a row. It is fairly amazing...free showers, chaise lounges for transit passengers and free city tours!
Edit: On reflection I need to add that it’s quite a long flight from Seoul to Madrid. Do your homework.

Last edited:
I leave in 2 weeks. Fly Singapore Airlines Brisbane to Paris CDG. Get in on a Sunday morning 7am. Couldn't get trains to work without a long wait. So getting the bus across to Orly, and flying to Biarritz at noon with Air France. Will taxi over to Bayonne hotel. Should be there by 3pm Sunday afternoon. Train to SJPP next morning.

I
I paid but my airfare was a super cheap bargain fare that I bought really early. I believe the normal Korean airfare covers accommodation but at a far posher place than my friendly little Incheon Happy Place Guesthouse.
sSx-B:safari-N:XX-S:bo-U:XX-H:s;sid=273c3cf4652a532ef472d5b689c32cba;dist=0&sb_price_type=total&type=total&
Did speak to a couple of aussies in the immigration queue who told me they always travel via Seoul because of the easy stopover and their hotel was included.
As for me I prefer the simple more authentic experience in a guesthouse but each to his own.
Mind you I love Hong Kong too and also Singapore. And all three airlines, Korean, Cathay and Singapore are very good airlines as are their airports. Though Incheon in Seoul has been voted best airport in the world for 12 years in a row. It is fairly amazing...free showers, chaise lounges for transit passengers and free city tours!
Edit: On reflection I need to add that it’s quite a long flight from Seoul to Madrid. Do your homework.
Hola Heda

I also am very fond of Korean Air. I cannot sleep on planes so appreciate the long stop over in Seoul when I doss down in a 5 star hotel provided by the airline and get some decent sleep in before the long leg to Madrid. They also provide meal vouchers for 2 meals in their restaurants, and I love to try the various Korean options, without having any idea of what they are! Your little guest house did look quite lovely though.

I am lucky enough to have flown with Korean Air often enough to get an upgrade on my flying conditions - priority boarding, priority unloading of luggage, extra baggage allowance, and entry in to the Korean Air lounge in Seoul airport. After my flight next year I will even have enough points to ask for an upgrade to business. I fly to Spain each year in May and return in June, and they are advertising Sydney to Madrid for $1290 for these dates next year.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Any chance of posting a link @Alan Pearce ? When I looked this morning on the Korean Air website it came up with a price of over $5,000 which seemed a bit steep!

Any chance of posting a link @Alan Pearce ? When I looked this morning on the Korean Air website it came up with a price of over $5,000 which seemed a bit steep!
:eek: I paid $1,200ish. Their sales usually come on around this time of year. I thought it was October but maybe they start next month?

$1210 with Qatar (Melb-CDG-Madrid-Melb) purchased Sept for March next year - shoulder season tickets - much depends on the time of you you are traveling. October is the month to buy (in Australia)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm not interested in the Qatar option. I'm interested in the Korean one.

I'm not interested in the Qatar option. I'm interested in the Korean one.
I was responding to HedaP and comparing prices plus making the point that ticket prices vary based on the time of year. I was also highlighting the fact that October is the month for sales. Last, I referenced the Qatar flight as this airline was mentioned up-post.

Good Morning Kanga!

I use Flight Centre to do my bookings for me [ I have a good relationship with Kara from their Orange office ] and used their website to come up with that price. Dates I used were leaving Sydney Monday 5th May, and returning from Madrid on Tuesday 3rd July. Korean Air prices are better if you can arrange to fly on those days of the week. And you are right - $5ooo is a bit steep!

The biggest hassle I have with Korean Air is that they leave so early in the morning! I have to get to Sydney the previous day and stay over at Sydney Youth Hostel opposite Central station, and get the airport train early next morning.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kanga

I just checked on Korean Air and they have the same flight at the same price. I will actually pay $1390 when I go because that will give me 100% of the air miles on my frequent flyers - the cheaper fare would give me only 70%.

My dates were only preliminary and may well change. I have a couple of volunteer jobs an the camino next year that await confirmation, and this morning I got an email suggesting I accompany good friends from Ireland and America on the Invierno. A packed programme is looming.

Alan

Just in case anyone is interested, I added a one night stopover in Seoul on the way home as well as the 19 hour layover on the way to Madrid. It was more like a self imposed long layover rather than a stopover and it only added about $100 to the airfare. I’m way too old to do 24 hour flights these days. ;):):):)
Plus, based on what @Alan Pearce has said, I’ve been wondering if I WAS entitled to a free 5 star hotel stay on the way to Madrid and webjet didn’t let me know? Hmmmm I shall keep this in mind for next time.

Anyone flying Qatar airlines would be advised to take a foam cushion with them . Their seats are the hardest nastiest things I've ever sat on ; or maybe it just my bony little Ar$e .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just in case anyone is interested, I added a one night stopover in Seoul on the way home as well as the 19 hour layover on the way to Madrid. It was more like a self imposed long layover rather than a stopover and it only added about $100 to the airfare. I’m way too old to do 24 hour flights these days. ;):):):)
Plus, based on what @Alan Pearce has said, I’ve been wondering if I WAS entitled to a free 5 star hotel stay on the way to Madrid and webjet didn’t let me know? Hmmmm I shall keep this in mind for next time.
Hi Heda

Each time I have booked with Korean Air my travel agent has told me that she would have to ask if they would provide me with a room, and that they do not always do so. I have gone that way 6 times, and have been given a room each time. Now that I have the Morning Calm frequent Flyer card I expect it will be a matter of course.

I went with BA last year solely because their flight schedules fitted in better with what I wanted. However they only allowed 1.5 hour stopover at Heathrow and when the plane was late leaving Singapore, I missed the connection to Madrid. It is possible to have a 4 hour stopover in London and avoid this sort of thing, but my usual travel agent was on holidays. I flew home from Santiago with Iberia/BA and was given all the necessary boarding passes when I checked in at Compostela [ BA own Iberia ].
Alan

Hello Mack. We flew Emirates to Paris in March last year via Singapore and Dubai prior to commencing our Camino in StJPdP. We stayed four days in Paris as we'd never been to Paris previously. We then took the TGV fast train to Bayonne but unfortunately our connecting train from Bayonne to StJPdP was cancelled due to a train strike. We only found that out when we arrived in Bayonne as the strike did not affect the TGV trains. We then took a bus to StJPdP arriving at app the same time the train should have. The problem was trying to find where the bus left from. The porters (or whatever they're called) at the Bayonne train station gave us incorrect bus advice which would have had us taking a bus leaving four hours later than we eventually did.
At the time we chose Emirates as we'd used them before and we were very happy with how we were looked after..... and there was very little difference between airline prices from Australia (we flew out of Brisbane) at that time.
My brother is flying to Rome early next year with Qatar Airlines. He does a fair bit of research before he travels and found Qatar Airlines have a very good reputation and their prices were considerably lower than Emirates/Qantas or Etihad. In the end, shopping around you should be able to get some good deals.
Buen Camino.

Qatar is the best airline we have flown on from Australia and we have had plenty of flights

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I leave in 2 weeks. Fly Singapore Airlines Brisbane to Paris CDG. Get in on a Sunday morning 7am. Couldn't get trains to work without a long wait. So getting the bus across to Orly, and flying to Biarritz at noon with Air France. Will taxi over to Bayonne hotel. Should be there by 3pm Sunday afternoon. Train to SJPP next morning.

When in Bayonne cross the bridge and enjoy this great city.
Have a great trip but Gary pleas listen to the weather man in STJPP.

I'd welcome any advice from those who have travelled travelled from Sydney to St Jean Pied de Port as to the best (including quickest) way to travel there.

I'm thinking flying to Paris (CDG), getting the fast train from CDG to Bayonne and then another train to SJPdP. Or is going to Madrid and then train better?

Or any other suggestion?

Whilst at it any particular airline recommended? The Paris route I can do with Cathay Pacific but if Qantas or BA it will take me through Heathrow to Paris. Same applies if going to Madrid.

Cost is also a factor. I'm planning to leave Sydney 10 April to arrive in St Jean late on the 11th and leave there to start my Camino on the morning of 13th.
Hi , I did my first Camino in May 2017 . We flew Emirates out of sydney to Barcelona, and stayed for 2 nights in a lovely hostel to rest up after the flight . Then a train to Pamploma , and a bus to St Jean . I can't remember the exact times , but we left Barcelona early am and were in to SJPDP by early afternoon. Have thrown out the tickets but I think I paid maybe under $100 Aus for the train and bus . A very pleasant journey .

Or any other suggestion?

Or any other suggestion?

Hi Mack I haven't done this flight before but I'm flying out on 5th April from Sydney flying with Qantas to Singapore then Air France to Paris (this worked out the cheapest and fitted our timing better at the time we booked a few months ago). Was planning on taking the train from CDG to SJP but have looked at busing into Montparnesse and getting the train from there. Looking at the other replies I think this will be the way we go. We arrive in CDG at 6.05am which should give us enough time to get the bus into Paris and get on the train. Makes for a long day but we are spending an extra day in SJP before we start the camino.
Enjoy the adventure.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Gumba, the Le Bus departs directly outside after immigration and baggage claim and takes you directly to Montparnasse Station with a stop at Gare de Lyon also. You get to see some of Paris on the way. They have different routes so you can also get it into the city or other stations. My reason was that I would have had to catch the RER from the airport then change to the metro to get to the station. Even though I have done this before I decided it would be better for me to have no hassles on arrival. Check out lebus direct website. You did say you were thinking of having a couple of nights in a Paris before your Camino so the train maybe a better option. The train from the airport is great but you may need to change trains and get on a metro to your destination.
Thanks for the info Kazza57 I've been a bit undecided about which way to go, direct from CDG or bus in Montparnesse and train from there. Your info has helped.

Has anyone travelling via Qatar had a stopover and if so where did you stay and was it OK for a single woman who drinks beer? :):):)

I did last year what you are thinking of: Flew on SQ SYD to CDG via SIN, fast train to Bayonne and then slow train to SJdeP. It worked fine for me, admittedly I also wanted first to visit my daughter in Paris. However, you do get into SJdeP rather late, not ideal if you are leaving next day with an early start and want to get all the way to Roncesvalles. I stayed a day in SJdeP for that reason, and then found there wasn't really enough to do there to fill a whole day! If you are stopping at Orisson (with a booking essential) then you don't need the early start.

Has anyone travelling via Qatar had a stopover and if so where did you stay and was it OK for a single woman who drinks beer? :):):)

No alcohol unless in the company of the boss , who happens to own the only grog shop outside the airport,
They have under 300,000 people , punch above their weight , and open news stations just to upset their neighbours.
The business lounge Heda is something to behold.
Stay there;)

@HedaP I'm wondering about a stopover in Qatar requiring a stamp in my passport - will it cause problems later if transiting through one of the other gulf states? In particular transiting through Dubai or Abu Dhabi? See this extract from the UK government website giving advice on local laws and customs:

"The UAE authorities announced on 7 June 2017 that showing sympathy for Qatar on social media or by any other means of communication is an offence. Offenders could be imprisoned and subject to a substantial fine."

This specific law is obviously not referring to travelling to Qatar, it is under some sanctions, as I understand it.

@HedaP I'm wondering about a stopover in Qatar requiring a stamp in my passport - will it cause problems later if transiting through one of the other gulf states? In particular transiting through Dubai or Abu Dhabi? See this extract from the UK government website giving advice on local laws and customs:

"The UAE authorities announced on 7 June 2017 that showing sympathy for Qatar on social media or by any other means of communication is an offence. Offenders could be imprisoned and subject to a substantial fine."

This specific law is obviously not referring to travelling to Qatar, it is under some sanctions, as I understand it.

Should not be a problem Kanga,
Emirates , Qantas , BA code share with Qatar.
Only problem i see would be trying to get from one middle east country [ Qatar] to another.

€149,-

Or any other suggestion?

I flew Emirates to Barcelona, stayed at hotel at train station, 7am train to Pamplona. Could have waited few hours for bus to St J but decided on taxi to save time. €90. went to pilgrim office, organised accommodation (not previously booked) sorted luggage to send on to Santiago, relaxing dinner and look around. Ready for early start next morning.

I did last year what you are thinking of: Flew on SQ SYD to CDG via SIN, fast train to Bayonne and then slow train to SJdeP. It worked fine for me, admittedly I also wanted first to visit my daughter in Paris. However, you do get into SJdeP rather late, not ideal if you are leaving next day with an early start and want to get all the way to Roncesvalles. I stayed a day in SJdeP for that reason, and then found there wasn't really enough to do there to fill a whole day! If you are stopping at Orisson (with a booking essential) then you don't need the early start.

That looks like what will suit my timetable. However I don't have anyone in that part of the globe so I'll go by fast train to Bayonne then train to SJPdP, hoping to get there before too late the same day. I'll stay two nights there and set out for Roncavelles early am (like 7am). I'd like to get a good idea of the climb to the top. I'm already in training around Sydney's Hill district but no hills like the Pyrenees! How did you find it? I will be 78 by then and plan to walk fairly slowly and take about 9 hours or so. Any comments will be appreciated.

I recently purchased tickets for our mid-March camino - Melb-Paris through Qatar Airways, stopping at Dosa. Have not flown with them before but have had great reviews and the tickets were far cheaper than Qantas and Emirates. We are departing from Madrid so I know they service this airport. We are spending a few days in Paris before getting the train down to SJPDP. Happy planning!

I looked at the same and Qatar have good prices just now.

€149,-
Hi Mack, have you thought about staying at Orisson on the way up the Pyrenees? I stayed there in September and had a fabulous time. For me it was one of the highlights of the Camino. Met lots of people who became very important to me on this journey. It broke the trip to Roncesvalles and was a wonderful walk the following day. You would have to prebook Orisson as it is very popular. No early start from St Jean if you take this option.

Hi Mack, have you thought about staying at Orisson on the way up the Pyrenees? I stayed there in September and had a fabulous time. For me it was one of the highlights of the Camino. Met lots of people who became very important to me on this journey. It broke the trip to Roncesvalles and was a wonderful walk the following day. You would have to prebook Orisson as it is very popular. No early start from St Jean if you take this option.

Yes I thought about this but I'm signing up with CaminoWays who organise my accommodation and luggage etc.. The downside of this is a set timetable and I understand Orisson does not take their bookings, otherwise I would do this. For me the advantage of how I'm doing it is that accommodation is taken care of (in standard accommodation with ensuite in most places). At my age I value my privacy and as I require a CPAP lugging a backpack of all my needs would be too onerous.

But I will still think I'm a pilgrim just not roughing it as much as most!

Hi again Mack. Did my trip in April/May this year. Six weeks. I am 75. Booked Orisson before I left home with no problems at all. Tough climb over the Pyrenees but carried my backpack. Usually stayed in hostels with own bathroom as I also like my privacy, however I did stay at some Albergues and enjoyed the experience. Was no problem having someone where I stayed to phone ahead for accommodation. After Estella often used jaco (can’t recall their name!) to take my backpack on to next nights accommodation. Cost 5€. I just used a day pack when walking.
Buen Camino. Go slow and smell the roses! I was locked in to a time frame and had head down, walking every day. No rest days. Wish I was going again!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @Mack
Just a suggestion but you could walk as far as Orisson on your full day in SJPdP. It only takes a few hours. Then taxi back to SJPdP. You would probably be back in SJPdP before lunch time. Practice having a Spanish siesta in the afternoon to help get over jet lag. Then next day ie. the official start day, you could taxi as far as Orisson and resume the walk.
Wishing you a very buen camino.

Yes I thought about this but I'm signing up with CaminoWays who organise my accommodation and luggage etc.. The downside of this is a set timetable and I understand Orisson does not take their bookings, otherwise I would do this. For me the advantage of how I'm doing it is that accommodation is taken care of (in standard accommodation with ensuite in most places). At my age I value my privacy and as I require a CPAP lugging a backpack of all my needs would be too onerous.

But I will still think I'm a pilgrim just not roughing it as much as most!
Mack, you will still be a pilgrim no matter what - everyone does their own Camino. I stayed in a couple of Albergues with people with CPAP machines and they didn’t cause any problems. In fact I quite liked the gentle sound they made.

I wish you all the best, enjoy every moment. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back