• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel advice - Paris CDG to SDJPP

davo77

Hi, I plan on arriving in Paris CDG early on Tues 5th June. I intend to travel via TGV to Bayonne, and then via the local train to SJDPP. I have found a TGV timetable on the web that indicates the TGV only travels CDG - Bayonne twice weekly (Fri and Sun), but another one that shows daily travel but only at 7.39 and 1344 from the airport station, and I'm sure that my earlier internet research showed reasonably timed travel to Bayonne. A PC glitch will not let me view the actual SNCF TGV website timetable anymore. Can anyone offer any local knowledge as to the TGV or other rail frequency? If the TGV is not an option, what would the best rail route be?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Check the Air France website. They have several flights a day between Paris & Biarritz (BIQ). Some flights leave from CDG, others leave from Orly. Also, the price can vary, so if you're flexible with your dates, you could get the fare for as low as $71 + tax (US), which is cheaper than the train.

dg

After looking at the options I decided to take the Air France flight from CDG to BIQ. It may be slightly more than the train but the savings in time and hassle are significant. To take the TGV from CDG to Bayonne you have to go into Paris and then change train stations. As I recall there is also a train change en route.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the flight advice. I have had the CDG to Biarritz flight in the back of my mind for some months as a contingency, but my first preference is still via rail to SJPDP, both to see a bit more of the countryside, (albeit at a very accelatered rate of KM on TGV) and also to break up the day long flight from Oz. The station transit in Paris is something I want to avoid, based on friends who have travelled through there before, so I may well end up changing my plans and flying to Biarritz instead.

Again, if anyone has recently travelled by the rail route I'd like to hear their impressions.

To 'The walk' - I'm happy to start out with you. I'm travelling over solo, but based on all the previous posts I had no doubt that a quick look in SJPDP for persons with a backpack, shell and walking stick would point me in the right direction. Flights going to schedule, I'll arrive at CDG around 0600 Tues 05 Jun, although some last minute flight shuffling may have me arriving at the same time 4 days earlier on Fri 1st June. I have 2 months off work, so am not exactly pushed for time.

We fly from Canada to CDG, and plan to stay overnight near the Montparnasse Station to recover a bit from jetlag. The next morning we take the TGV from Montparnasse to Bayonne. If cost is an issue, as it is for us, you should know that the SNCF is running a promotional fare on the route---€19 one way to Bayonne----which is cheaper than any flight we could find and offers the advantage of a gradual slowdown (relatively) from jet to fast train to on foot.

Buen Camino,

Kevin

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
NB Kevin said:
We fly from Canada to CDG, and plan to stay overnight near the Montparnasse Station to recover a bit from jetlag. The next morning we take the TGV from Montparnasse to Bayonne. If cost is an issue, as it is for us, you should know that the SNCF is running a promotional fare on the route---€19 one way to Bayonne----which is cheaper than any flight we could find and offers the advantage of a gradual slowdown (relatively) from jet to fast train to on foot.

Buen Camino,

Kevin
Kevin, where can I find SCNF's promotional fare of 19 Euros from Paris to Bayonne? We are travelling on May 12th from Canada via Paris. Thank you.

Hi gimli.

The promotional fare appears to have ended. I found and booked it on the SNCF site, but usually these specials tend to come and go in a hurry, and without notice. Same with the budget airlines. Sorry you missed it.

Buen Camino & Bonne Chance!

Kevin

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back