• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel advise

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019
Hi, I know there is probably something already in some section about travel to Leon. I just can't find it. I am trying to help a Canadian pilgrim re travel information who wants to start in Leon.

I am thinking fly to Madrid and then either take bus/train??? If anyone has a quick re-direct or answer, please let me know.

Thanks a bunch, Ingrid

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am thinking fly to Madrid and then either take bus/train???

Yes, if s/he's travelling from Canada that's the easiest way. www.alsa.es/en for info about buses from Madrid (airport or downtown) to León. www.renfe.com for info about trains from Madrid (downtown, Chamartín station) to León. To get from the airport to Chamartín station, there are Cercanías (commuter) trains every 30 minutes from Terminal 4.

Yes, if s/he's travelling from Canada that's the easiest way. www.alsa.es/en for info about buses from Madrid (airport or downtown) to León. www.renfe.com for info about trains from Madrid (downtown, Chamartín station) to León. To get from the airport to Chamartín station, there are Cercanías (commuter) trains every 30 minutes from Terminal 4.
Castilian. wow, speedy reply, thank you, very very much Ingrid

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Castilian is correct, as always! The trains are pretty fast - just 2 hours and 13 minutes in many cases.

The bus is slower, but a useful option if the train times don't fit in with a flight arrival time.

Typical train times are:
Depart Madrid 07.05 , arrive Leon 09.21
Depart Madrid 09.30, arrive Leon 11.45
Depart Madrid 11.05, arrive Leon 13.30
Depart Madrid 14.40, arrive Leon 16.53
Depart Madrid 17.30, arrive Leon 19.45
Depart Madrid 18.30, arrive Leon 20.43
Depart Madrid 20.25, arrive 22.31

The Cercanías train from T4 is free if you have a Renfe booking.

The Cercanías ticket is free if you have a RENFE train ticket with a combianado cercanías code (usually located on the upper left corner of the ticket) for a train departing (in the case of the OP, from Chamartín) no more than 4 hours after you take the Cercanías to Chamartín. BTW, the ticket is free but you need to get a ticket (i.e.: you can't board the Cercanías without a ticket), don't forget it.

Tickets for trains considered by RENFE to be long distance trains include the combinado cercanías code but you may find trains for the same route that aren't considered long distance by RENFE that doesn't have the code (what means you have to pay for the Cercanías if you want to take it). For example, in the case of trains from Madrid to León, MD trains aren't considered to be long distance trains and therefore tickets for MD trains don't have a combinado cercanías code. Tickets for the rest of direct trains from Madrid to León have a combinado cercanías code, if I'm not wrong. BTW, if you don't take a direct train a make the route changing trains, be aware that tickets for AVANT trains don't include a combinado cercanías code (just in case you wanted to make a mix of AVANT to Valladolid plus MD from Valladolid to León).

Castilian is correct, as always! The trains are pretty fast - just 2 hours and 13 minutes in many cases.

The bus is slower, but a useful option if the train times don't fit in with a flight arrival time.

Typical train times are:
Depart Madrid 07.05 , arrive Leon 09.21
Depart Madrid 09.30, arrive Leon 11.45
Depart Madrid 11.05, arrive Leon 13.30
Depart Madrid 14.40, arrive Leon 16.53
Depart Madrid 17.30, arrive Leon 19.45
Depart Madrid 18.30, arrive Leon 20.43
Depart Madrid 20.25, arrive 22.31

Thank you, much appreciated Ingrid

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back