• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel and Health Insurance

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hi all!

I have seen posts categorical stating that you should have health insurance, but very few mentions of company names. I did see a mention of AMA and I used Allianz last year when I walked the Camino. Does anyone have any input on the better Travel Health Insurance plans? I would specifically want one that would fly me back to the US if need be.

Would this be a separate plan from your Travel cancellation protection insurance, or are there some that roll it all into one? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Warmly,

Barry

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just returned from my 2nd Camino, the Inglés and the León to Sarria. I used a site insuremytrip.com to find the trip insurance that fit my needs. Don’t know if this is US only but it may be worth a look. Thankfully I never had to use it but it was nice to know it was there if I ever had to. Buen Camino.

Hi all!

I have seen posts categorical stating that you should have health insurance, but very few mentions of company names. I did see a mention of AMA and I used Allianz last year when I walked the Camino. Does anyone have any input on the better Travel Health Insurance plans? I would specifically want one that would fly me back to the US if need be.

Would this be a separate plan from your Travel cancellation protection insurance, or are there some that roll it all into one? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Warmly,

Barry
A lot depends on your nationality.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all!

Warmly,

Barry
Start with your own personal insurance agent or a travel agent you trust and shop around. Here in Jerusalem the major sporting goods stores all offer very good insurance at a decent price including emergency flight home. Once you are in their computer system it can be arranged by phone. DO keep a copy of a policy on your phone and DO have a hard copy tucked in with your passport. Should you, God Forfend, be run over by a runaway garbage truck, no one will be able to open your phone and find your policy.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For Aussies Woolworths have great travel insurance.

Hi all!

Warmly,

Barry
If you are from the U.S., check with your provider first. Blue Cross covers International travel. You pay the bil; they reimburse.

Likewise - if you are in the USA AAA (the auto club) has great insurance. We used it on our last Camino and one of our group got totally reimbursed when a flight delay and rerouting caused them to forfeit a day excursion in Barcelona ($150) and their prepaid hotel room before heading out to Leon to start their Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use insuremytrip.com to shop for travel insurance - then pick a policy that has what I need from a well-rated company.

IMO, medical insurance is a must. I purchase trip insurance if I have significant non-refundable expenses. On the Camino, I did not. The only pre-paid item was my plane ticket. I fly United (or associated Star Alliance carriers) and I can change flights for a $150 fee plus any difference in airfare, so I am willing to risk it. On an upcoming, non-Camino trip, I did insure the trip itself because I have some significant non-refundable expenses.

If you are from the U.S., check with your provider first. Blue Cross covers International travel. You pay the bil; they reimburse.
Yes, but the percent that they reimburse is rather low for foreign providers. I believe that travel insurance will pick up at least part of the remaining balance. I'll let you know after I file claims for some stitches I received.

Hi all!

Warmly,

Barry
This topic is fraught with confusion. There’s medical costs, reimbursement for travel changes and cancellations, and then the item you highlighted: medical transport. For the first I have US Medicare Advantage plan (not plain Medicare, of course). For the second I take my chances because the expense is usually one RT flight not the cost of a cruise. For the third I use an annual policy with Medjet because the coverage for an annual plan is very good and applies whenever i’m 150 miles from home.

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
For Aussies Woolworths have great travel insurance.
If you pay for your flights with a Platinum card in Australia you get automatic insurance. Check with your bank. My lady diagnosed with stress fracture in Lugo hospital. Three days in hospital and then business class flights and taxis back to our front door for both of us. So it works. Sad not to complete but business class on Qatar was great.
Gwyn

If you pay for your flights with a Platinum card in Australia you get automatic insurance. Check with your bank. My lady diagnosed with stress fracture in Lugo hospital. Three days in hospital and then business class flights and taxis back to our front door for both of us. So it works. Sad not to complete but business class on Qatar was great.
Gwyn
We used to rely on our Platinum card for insurance until Sri Lanka when my husband contracted Dengue Fever and was hospitalised in Trincomalee for a week (now that’s a whole other story!) and QBE who underwrites left me unreplied for 52 hours when I notified them. I ended up organising everything and giving them up for a joke. I now use Budget Direct and thankfully haven’t needed to use them, but I know they are there.

Hi all!

Warmly,

Barry

I always use Woolworths travel insurance, by far the cheapest for Australians. I have never needed to make a claim but as you know it is a reputable company.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.