• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel and Medical Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelgal

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues 2018/2019
I'm hoping to go on my first Camino this summer. Do you have any advice on how and where to buy travel and medical insurance? I will be travelling from Toronto, Canada. Thank you in advance for your help.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used squaremouth.com to shop a policy between a number of providers. Ended up with a very reasonable one from Berkshire Hathaway for our 12 week trip.

First, check your insurance coverage at home to determine if it is useful at all in Europe, and especially in Spain. Some private carrier insurance DOES cover you internationally. However, I cannot speak to government schemes such as the one in Canada. I think the issue is whether they have a reciprocal policy with the European Union. For EU nationals, just showing their standard ID card gets them medical care.

Second, search for specialized travel insurance to cover you while you are away. Some folks use Allianz, or go through their local auto club (CAA?). There are others. Search here for travel insurance posts using the search function above. I KNOW the issue has been covered a lot in the past.

Personally, I stack my internationally valid Blue Cross / Blue Shield private cover, with travel insurance sold through my airline. As someone over 65, in the US I am also on Medicare (government insurance for seniors) but it is not available outside the US or territories. So, my 'secondary' cover' becomes my primary coverage for the duration of my time overseas.

I usually fly on Iberia, but book my flights through through American Airlines, so I can obtain the insurance they offer through Allianz IIRC. Iberia is a code share partner of American in the One World alliance.

In any event, my private cover takes care of lesser, ambulatory problems. The optional travel insurance will take care of major medical issues and evacuation back home in the event of something very serious.

This is an effective solution for me.

Hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm hoping to go on my first Camino this summer. Do you have any advice on how and where to buy travel and medical insurance? I will be travelling from Toronto, Canada. Thank you in advance for your help.
You might look at DAN it’s travel insurance for divers but not exclusive. The evacuation insurance is important.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you everyone for your responses. I really appreciate your help.

Hi, Travelgal. I'm departing for Spain out of Toronto on Sept. 1st. Can you suggest the best way to get to Toronto from Detroit/Windsor area?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Travelgal. I'm departing for Spain out of Toronto on Sept. 1st. Can you suggest the best way to get to Toronto from Detroit/Windsor area?
P.S. I've used RoamRight for a past trip to Costa Rica. It was inexpensive and was the travel insurance company that the travel company used as well.

Hi Godzgirlwalking, To get to Toronto, I think you would need to either drive or take a train or bus. Try Via Rail for trains. Try Megabus or Greyhound for buses. I may not be the best person to help you with this as I haven't been to Detroit/Windsor. I suggest you post your question on tripadvisor on the Toronto or Detroit/Windsor forums for guidance.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
P.S. I've used RoamRight for a past trip to Costa Rica. It was inexpensive and was the travel insurance company that the travel company used as well.
If you are driving, get on the 401 TransCanada Highway going east, and don’t get off until you see signs for Pearson Airport in Toronto. If you aren’t driving, Greyhound bus line or other local bus will get you there the same route and cheaply. VIA rail is good, but pricey and schedules can be dicey. Consider also getting off the bus in Burlington, and taking the GO train the last hour into Toronto. It’s clean, fast, cheap, and you can hook up with another train at Union Station that will take you right to the airport. That line is the UP Express. :). Buen Camino!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.