• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel company or do it myself?

My sister and I started our Camino September of 2019. We took the advice of well meaning people and waited to book till we arrived.
After 8 days of trying all combination of efforts, we gave up! We returned home. Everything was booked… everything!
We deemed it unsafe to have to end up sleeping out in a plaza.
When we started at SJSP, , we were told it was so bad that 40 people slept on cots in the local gym. That should have served as a sign to us!
Everyone meant well advising us to just go with the flow… just, that year, that time was too crowded.
I still am thinking about doing it again, but this time I will have reservations…
Burn Camino!!!
September has become the most popular month to start from SJPdP, and stories like yours of "no room at any inns" are not uncommon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My sister and I started our Camino September of 2019. We took the advice of well meaning people and waited to book till we arrived.
After 8 days of trying all combination of efforts, we gave up! We returned home. Everything was booked… everything!
We deemed it unsafe to have to end up sleeping out in a plaza.
When we started at SJSP, , we were told it was so bad that 40 people slept on cots in the local gym. That should have served as a sign to us!
Everyone meant well advising us to just go with the flow… just, that year, that time was too crowded.
I still am thinking about doing it again, but this time I will have reservations…
Burn Camino!!!
Yes that is a crowded time, the first time we started on Sept 1, and there were many people. We arrived quite early into Roncesvalles, and easily got beds. But we saw the staff taxiing people to other places later in the evening.
We had no idea early September would be so popular and like many people started to walk on a weekend.
There are waves of people leaving across the weekends , you need to get out of the 'wave' so to speak to get back to normality.
I wouldn't walk in early September now, and I avoid the 'waves'. The waves do flatten out over the first two weeks.
When we walked in September 2019, it was later in the month, and the Camino was quite empty. It wasn't busy until Sarria.
I think if you intend to walk at a particularly busy time, booking the first week or so makes sense. Especially as the first few villages are quite small, and there is limited accommodation.

Yes that is a crowded time, the first time we started on Sept 1, and there were many people.
I did my first Camino in 2016, but started on August 21st, before the mad rush! Never had a problem finding a bed. I booked ahead a couple of times - for instance I arrived quite early in Belorado, and instead of stopping there, I decided to continue on to Villafranca Montes de Oca - another 12 km, so I made a reservation when I stopped for lunch.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Marylou,
My wife and I have walked three Camino’s in both Spain and France. I’ve always planned our routes and booked our accommodation and it’s always worked well for us. I have refined a process for how it’s done which I’d be happy to share but it takes awhile to get it all on paper. The decision to do it all DIY or use a travel firm depends a lot on your situation and preferences e.g., time to plan and do the bookings (it is time consuming), your organizational skills, risk tolerance, travel budget, etc.) A couple years ago I helped a friend plan her first Camino. A few days into the process she gave up and contacted a travel company.

Send me a PM — I’d be happy to share what I’ve learned.
I must say, planning a camino is a great occupation for a plague year. It can take any amount of time and gives me something worthwhile to look forward to. And since I couldn't do anything or go anywhere last year, I have enough finances to plan a very long camino.

I plan to start my first Camino (Frances) next April, at age 72. I am female, and will be traveling alone at this point. I am trying to decide if I should use a travel company to make hotel reservations (better sleep, assured of a bed, lessen the risk of Covid) vs. staying in albergues (camaraderie, less expensive, much more flexibility). My fear, of course, is that if I get sick or am injured, I will have to take a taxi/bus/whatever to the next hotel or essentially lose my money. But my other fear is that it will be very crowded next year with all of us who have put off our Caminos, and getting a bed will be even more difficult. I would appreciate your thoughts. Will the Camino really provide if I just go???
A couple of things. First, I would suggest that you make hotel reservations on line for the first couple of nights. After that, make reservations once you're there with your cell. Use the Briely (sp?) Guide for hotel recommendations. There is joy and freedom in not planning too far ahead. Half the fun. Second, I would recommend using the backpack transport service to your next destination. Cheap, reliable and easy on your body. Hotels are very familiar with the service and will help coordinate transfers. Take a light weight day pack on your daily journeys. Have fun and go with the flow. It all works out.

I posted this a few years ago:
I just did St. Jean to Logrono lat week and booked through a tour company. Because I was travelling to Europe for business I had my business clothes/suitcase with me and needed to have my bag transferred this option made the most sense for me. Secondly, I snore quite loudly and didn't want to subject others to the noise. I had only 7 days to work with so a set schedule worked for me in this case. I plan on going back to complete the Camino, here are my thoughts.
  • Overall I was happy that I did it through a tour company (Follow the Camino) for the one week walk, however I don't think I will use a tour company for the whole trip.
  • There are plenty of opportunities to meet other pilgrims without staying in albergues. I would not be concerned about this.
  • If you do use a tour company, review the hotels they have selected. A couple of nights my hotel was more than a mile off the route and it was very inconvenient.
  • I opted for the breakfast included and would not do that again. I found I preferred getting an early start and stopping for breakfast an hour or two later. It's nice to have the break and it is an opportunity to meet other pilgrims.
  • I met several people that opted to have their packs shuttled on occasion. It was $5 a day and can be arranged when you stop for the day. So if you need to bring more than you can carry, it's an easy option. It is also good to know that option exists if you have a problem along the way.
  • While have everything planned out for me for the week was fine, I doubt it would be such a great idea for the whole Camino. You need to have some flexibility for weather, blisters, etc.
When I get the chance to do the whole Camino I will probably pre-book the first week and then make reservations as I go for the rest of the walk. I still plan on using mainly hotels and sparing everyone my snoring. I can afford the hotels, so why take up the cheap beds for the people that need them.

p.s. For those of you that may reply that there are plenty of people who snore in albergues, I'm sure I can top any of them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Marylou,
I walked the Portuguese Camino alone in 2018 at 71 years old. I planned the trip myself. I stayed at budget hotels and private albergues that I found on booking.com. I used a service to move my pack from one accommodation to the next, and walked with a daypack of essentials. I knew where I would be every night. The problem with this was that if I wanted to change my itinerary or stay in one spot another day, the rest of the trip would become a logistical nightmare.
I saw some advice above that suggested making reservations a few nights in advance. For a long Camino like the Frances, that sounds like a good plan. I would scout out accommodations on the Internet before you go so you have a basic plan, but only make reservations for the first few nights and and then see how it goes. Also, you'll meet a lot of people trying to set a record, walking upwards and over 30km a day. Set realistic goals for each day, depending on your physical conditions, abilities and terrain.

I wrote a book about my journey,,,and it was a journey. It's available on Amazon, "Walk by My Side: A Solo Journey to Santiago on the Portuguese Camino."

The Camino is a wonderful experience the emotional effects of which are hard to explain. You'll have a great time.

John

I plan to start my first Camino (Frances) next April, at age 72. I am female, and will be traveling alone at this point. I am trying to decide if I should use a travel company to make hotel reservations (better sleep, assured of a bed, lessen the risk of Covid) vs. staying in albergues (camaraderie, less expensive, much more flexibility). My fear, of course, is that if I get sick or am injured, I will have to take a taxi/bus/whatever to the next hotel or essentially lose my money. But my other fear is that it will be very crowded next year with all of us who have put off our Caminos, and getting a bed will be even more difficult. I would appreciate your thoughts. Will the Camino really provide if I just go???
Can't really tell you what to do. What I can say is I did it all myself and the thrill I got from saying to myself, 'I am an old man and I did this'. Got the same thrill when I stood on top of mountains that I would have run a mile from when I was younger. It really is a tremendous sense of achievement. No reservations, no bag transport just walking and walking. The reason I can't advise you is that everyone is different with different needs, different fears and different expectations. All I can say is no matter how you do it, take your time and enjoy every second of your camino

I'm looking forward to it too, Chrissy! Can't wait to meet you.

I am grateful to all who answered, and am even more excited about the journey to Santiago. I would go tomorrow if I could! Thank you, all.
As you have experienced Mary Lou, there are infinite variations of the Camino. The best advice I have heard is “you be you” or ”make it your Camino”. There are tons of opinions that are all relevant to those viewpoints. At the end of the day, you need to decide what will make you comfortable and happy. I wish you “Buen Camino” on however you choose to do it. My only advice…..please do it….

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can't really tell you what to do. What I can say is I did it all myself and the thrill I got from saying to myself, 'I am an old man and I did this'. Got the same thrill when I stood on top of mountains that I would have run a mile from when I was younger. It really is a tremendous sense of achievement. No reservations, no bag transport just walking and walking. The reason I can't advise you is that everyone is different with different needs, different fears and different expectations. All I can say is no matter how you do it, take your time and enjoy every second of your camino
My sister and I walked beginning 9/12/2019. Sadly without reservations we only were able to go 8 days. It may sound adventurous, but finding no place to sleep can be scary. I was 68 years old and we ended up canceling our trip due to a lack of a place to sleep. We were also very creative and everyone was very nice, but it can be crowded and may be after Covid.
If I ever do it again, I would attempt only with reservations. It may take away the flexibility, but you get to do it!
Just my thoughts….

My sister and I walked beginning 9/12/2019. Sadly without reservations we only were able to go 8 days. I
That's unfortunate! If you started in SJPP, that would have been the busiest time ever! Hopefully, you'll be able to return. Reservation might be in September from there, especially for the first few days, but a travel company isn't needed.

My sister and I walked beginning 9/12/2019. Sadly without reservations we only were able to go 8 days.
I also am sorry to hear of such an unfortunate situation. My husband and I started at nearly that exact same time in 2019, and I had read here on this forum that reservations were recommended from SJPP through Pamplona.

I made our reservations only a few weeks before the trip. I started with Orisson, which was booked and we were probably pretty lucky to get in at Kayola, which isn’t nearly as nice. Roncevalles wasn’t a problem, though it was completely full that night we were there. Then I was a bit surprised that my first couple of choices were not available for Pamplona or SJPP, so I got a bit concerned and also booked Zubiri, where the first couple of choices were also full. However, after Pamplona we just booked online or called the night before and never had any place not have beds. We stayed in a mix of private albergues and modest private rooms.

I would strongly encourage others to make reservations well in advance for the first 3 or 4 nights, through Pamplona, especially during a busy period, but based on my experience, not to worry and to just book a night or two ahead after that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My sister and I walked beginning 9/12/2019. Sadly without reservations we only were able to go 8 days. It may sound adventurous, but finding no place to sleep can be scary. I was 68 years old
How does your age influence things? There are plenty of people of a similar age who walk without problems.

I am a similar age and the only place where I had reservations was St. Jean. It was very crowded for the first six or seven days but after that people spread out and I never had problems finding somewhere to sleep. Sometimes my first choice wasn't available but I was always comfortable. In general I didn't stop at towns that were recognised stage end points.

Last edited:
Like Doughnut NZ stated above age need not be a factor. I went simply beginning at age 65 and after ten successful CFs due to injury stopped when 76. I never booked anything except the train from Paris and generally stayed in pilgrim albergues for a total of 450 camino nights....If I could, I would be still be walking.

I do think it is important to recognize that the Camino has gotten much more crowded over the years. The difference in numbers of pilgrims between my first time in ‘15 and the second in ‘19 was startling. In ‘15, I don’t think you needed reservations. In ‘19, yes, at least at times, you really did. And who knows what 2022 will bring, with albergues that may or may not still be closed due to Covid, the holy year, and pent up demand …

I think it would be best to advise future pilgrims to be prepared to have to make reservations, regardless of past practices, and especially at certain bunch points and at popular times of the year. Reserving for the whole trip before you start walking allows for no flexibility, and personally, I would never do that. But a night or two ahead is a very good idea. If you don’t want to use online booking and lack the Spanish skills to call, ask someone to do it for you.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think it would be best to advise future pilgrims to be prepared to have to make reservations, regardless of past practices, and especially at certain bunch points and at popular times of the year.
I agree, especially if traveling with 2 or 3 family members, as I was in 2017. A little harder to wing it during Holy week, hoping for beds together in the same place..

Reserving for the whole trip before you start walking allows for no flexibility, and personally, I would never do that.
I always thought that too. But I saw a post somewhere where the person said that having everything booked ahead of time was very liberating because you never had to worry about having a place to stay for the night.

It is unfortunate that the spontaneity is disappearing.

I always thought that too. But I saw a post somewhere where the person said that having everything booked ahead of time was very liberating because you never had to worry about having a place to stay for the night.

I wouldn’t feel liberated from worry because I wouldn’t be bogged down in worry about it in the first place. 🙂

We usually have made a reservation by calling the afternoon before. Then we sleep and walk the next day knowing that we have a place to stay. No worries. By making the decision day by day, we can respond to how we feel, how difficult the terrain looks, the weather, injury status, and so on. I would never give up that flexibility, though I do understand that it is different strokes for different folks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My sister and I walked beginning 9/12/2019. Sadly without reservations we only were able to go 8 days. It may sound adventurous, but finding no place to sleep can be scary. I was 68 years old and we ended up canceling our trip due to a lack of a place to sleep. We were also very creative and everyone was very nice, but it can be crowded and may be after Covid.
If I ever do it again, I would attempt only with reservations. It may take away the flexibility, but you get to do it!
Just my thoughts….
Have walked 5 times since 2013, the last a year before you and never had a problem getting a bed. I started each day between 6:30 and 7. Walked for about 6 hours and stopped at the first albergue I came to, roughly about 1pm every day. That on average would have been in the region of 20 to 24 km. At 70 years of age, that was quite enough for me. The secret is Walk With The Sun Till Ur Shadow Disappears then get a bed

I don't think that the spontaneity is disappearing. I think that people who like to plan their lives are naturally attracted to this forum because it provides good planning information. As a result, the opinions expressed on the forum are biased towards planning and reserving.

Other perspectives do exist on the forum but tend to get drowned out by the sheer numbers and volume of the planners.

I think it would be best to advise future pilgrims to be prepared to have to make reservations, regardless of past practices, and especially at certain bunch points and at popular times of the year. Reserving for the whole trip before you start walking allows for no flexibility, and personally, I would never do that. But a night or two ahead is a very good idea. If you don’t want to use online booking and lack the Spanish skills to call, ask someone to do it for you.
I agree. I think that it's important to do enough research to have a plan B, C and maybe D, so that you know what options you have if you arrive somewhere and there are no beds available. It's also important to know where the typical bunch/choke points are an to be prepared.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do think it is important to recognize that the Camino has gotten much more crowded over the years. The difference in numbers of pilgrims between my first time in ‘15 and the second in ‘19 was startling. In ‘15, I don’t think you needed reservations. In ‘19, yes, at least at times, you really did.
The difference in numbers between my first time in 1989 and my second and third in 2016 and 2018 was even more startling. Yet I didn't find it significantly harder to find accommodations. Certainly the number of pilgrims had grown incredibly, but so had the amount of infrastructure. More pilgrims does tend to bring more albergues.

Then again, I would probably call ahead during covid times.

Hi there. I'm 60, and last July I booked a self-walk for me and my husband for the last 114km of the Frances. The company provided transportation to Sarria from the airport, pension or small hotel reservations each night with printed directions (only took a hotel car in Amenal, walked all the others), booked with a luggage service so that we just carried day packs, and booked half board, which we didn't always use. They were also available 24/7 for emergencies (used that once, when I thought that my husband had lost his bag). We booked that way because my Spanish is beginner, his is nonexistent, it was high season, AND we arrived in Santiago on the 24th of July ( saw the fireworks for the feast day, and we saw the King of Spain come to Mass the next day). Read, *really* crowded. But we walked at our own pace every day, talked to people when we could, ;). We both received help from "trail angels" when I fell, and gave help when a man came up lame in Ribadisio (?) at the river alburgue. And we both cried and prayed when we arrived.
Bottom line. It's your Camino. Do what you can do. There's no special way to make your Camino...except yours. Do what you need to , to seek your Way.

And thank you for sharing your story. I lost my mother the week after our Camino. If God wills it, I will do the next Camino (hopefully Primitivo in Sep 23) with her on my Compostela.

I don't think that the spontaneity is disappearing. I think that people who like to plan their lives are naturally attracted to this forum because it provides good planning information. As a result, the opinions expressed on the forum are biased towards planning and reserving.

Other perspectives do exist on the forum but tend to get drowned out by the sheer numbers and volume of the planners.
When I first joined this forum about 2012, posts about how to plan every night months before travelling were unheard of. Nobody or at least very very view booked ahead. When I finally walked in March 2013, no hospitalero ever asked if I had a reservation. It was just unheard of. Sending backpacks ahead was only just becoming a thing and jacotrans was the only company doing it. Now there is a plethora of suppliers. By 2016,just three years later, the spontaneity had started to go. Walked into the albergue perdón in uterga at about 2pm to get the last bed. Four bunks had reserved signs on them. Next morning, three bunks were still reserved. Only one couple turned up yet walk in pilgrims were being turned away. The hospitalera was fuming as we walked away. So yes the spontaneity has vanished very quickly over the last 9 years

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked my first Camino at age 70 (2nd at 71) and very strongly advise you not to use a travel company. I don't think their services are a good value for something that is easily done on your own, but value means different things to different people and we all have different budgets. More importantly, we all have different bodies. I think it is so important to be able to have a shorter day if you need it. I met others in my age group on the Camino and some were struggling to keep up with the schedule their company had made. Also, walking alone you can stay at hotels any time you want to. You can make reservations on booking.com you can use gronze and wise pilgrim to find accommodations. I would book a few days ahead, no more, and let your body be your guide on how far to go. When you get close to the last 100K you could make more reservations if you feel you want to -- at that point you will be in touch with the distances that work for you.

When I walked the CF in 2019, I used Walk the Camino to plan the trip, book hotels and transfer bag. At no time did I feel constricted by the schedule I agreed to. I set up parameters of 15-18 miles a day, a rest day every 7th day (Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Villa Franco de Bierzo) and carrying only a day pack. As a 60 yr old, solo female, it was nice to know at the end of the day I had a clean private room and shower waiting for me. Working with WTC did not hinder me from meeting new people or did I miss out on the Pilgrim experience. To each their own.
This is great to hear. I will be 61yr old solo female doing CF Sept/Oct 2023. I just put a deposit down with Walk the Camino. Your parameters and reasons are very similar to mine! Glad to hear you were happy with your decisions. I like that I could decide how many walk/rest days I have. It isn't a one size fits all plan.

I would just add that by all means book with a Company but, unless the accommodation is in the middle of nowhere, don't book the evening meal. I have no doubt that you will meet up with others/groups who ask you to eat with them in the evening and that will add to your enjoyment.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back