• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel CPAP Machines 2019

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Portugues 2019
Frances 2023
Hi I'm getting ready for my next Camino. I'd like to get a travel CPAP Machine. There are a few popular travel models out currently. Does anyone have any experience with these units? Do you have any recommendations keeping in mind it's being used on the Camino? Right now I'm looking at the HDM Z1 and the Z1 auto. I'm finding refurbished units out there at a decent price.

I just found some old posts from 2015 that discuss the Z1 and Transcend units. At the time it looks like a lot of folks were going the Transcend route and the Z1 was very noisy. I'd be interested to know if the issues with the Z1 have been fixed.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have nothing to contribute but will be a very interested watcher of this thread. I walked the Frances in 2017 with a CPAP (Resmed air Sense 10) that weighed @ five pounds (counting pkg’ing).

Last edited:
I used the Transcend Auto in 2016. I did not use the manufacturers case, but bought a more compact padded bag that carried the unit, mask and power supply. I carried the hose in a separate mesh bag. All up this weighted just under 1100 gm. The Transcend unit is about 930 gm lighter than the unit that I use at home, a useful reduction in my view.

I didn't get the battery pack for the Transcend, but did discuss it with another user who was carrying one. He had bought the smaller battery that was available at the time, and was a bit disappointed to find that it wasn't lasting all night.

I haven't had any experience with the HDM machines.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have little experience of portable CPAP so this is probably not of much help but here goes.

I carried my home machine, well over a Kg, in 2016 as far as Logrono where I posted it ahead to Ivar. I then used a pocket sized mandibular device for the rest of the trip. I had lost a lot of weight prior to the camino, 20Kg, and decided to try not using the CPAP because it was so heavy and I could bus forward to Santiago if I needed it.

I've never used CPAP since and have been discharged from medical care for Apnea. Body mass was probably the best piece of weight I discarded when packing for the walk.

Hi I'm getting ready for my next Camino. I'd like to get a travel CPAP Machine. There are a few popular travel models out currently. Does anyone have any experience with these units? Do you have any recommendations keeping in mind it's being used on the Camino? Right now I'm looking at the HDM Z1 and the Z1 auto. I'm finding refurbished units out there at a decent price.

I just found some old posts from 2015 that discuss the Z1 and Transcend units. At the time it looks like a lot of folks were going the Transcend route and the Z1 was very noisy. I'd be interested to know if the issues with the Z1 have been fixed.

Thanks!![/

I have a ResMed Air Mini CPAP it is very light and quiet

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do not use a CPAP but have seen many pilgrims lugging overly heavy and bulky CPAP systems with them. Most albergues will give you a bed near a power outlet. But having an extension cord is not a bad thing.

Here is a web site that reviewed travel CPAP devices. I do not know about the power requirements or country usage information. But it might be useful to you and others.

https://www.tuck.com/travel-cpap-machine-reviews/

Hope this helps.

Hi! I walked the Norte in May/June 2018 with a Transcend Auto. I carried the larger battery, but only needed it twice - I wouldn't carry it again. I also used a universal power adapter and had a lightweight 2 metre extension cord, both of which were invaluable. Hospitaleros always made the effort to find me a bed near a power point and in the one case where that was impossible, the hospitalero found a long extension cord for me! The machine is pretty quiet, and I had no complaints from other pilgrims, some even saying the gentle white noise helped them sleep. For me, it was definitely worth the extra weight for a good night's sleep and feeling 100% the next day!

On my first camino I carried a ResMed 9, --too heavy. On my second camino the Transcend- it was much lighter. I also carried the battery and an extension cord. I will not carry the battery on my camino starting in April. I do hope I can get a bunk near an outlet. When I use my CPAP I am much more quiet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a Dreamstation Go that’s logged two Caminos.

I have a battery (for camping) but I didn’t take it on the Caminos. I agree that an extension cord would come in handy but any time I needed one, the albergue provided one, or moved me closer to the outlet.

I like the Dreamstation Go. I bought it for the first Camino but have found it useful on many trips.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.