• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

travel dates

Ken C.

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk in 2014
I am planning on making a camino this year and am having difficulty deciding on time frame. I have three options in mind early April to early June, mid May to mid July, or late August to early Oct. If anybody has travelled at these times recently I would appreciate your comments with regard to typical weather, traffic on the Camino Francis, length of your camino in days and anything else you may think useful to help me make up my mind. Thanks

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Ken and welcome,

I have only walked in early June to early July. I happen to enjoy the weather, the liveliness, the longer daylight hours. SJPdP to SDC in less than 30 days with 4 more days to Muxia and then Fisterra. This pace works for me. However, I suggest 5-6 weeks depending on your own style of walk and preference. This "longer" time frame could allow for rest days, an extra day or two in SdC after you finish or maybe some time to walk to the sea. If I had a choice for another time, I'd probably pick the spring.

One suggestion I have is to scroll back a ways to the posts which were made during these 3 time periods you are considering. I think this would help to see the conversations going on during that time.

The best part is no matter when you will go, you will go.

Cheers,
Simeom

Last edited by a moderator:
May to July will be drier, but also more crowded. I personally like April to June.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,
Walked September 1st through mid October 2013 and it rained one full day, 2 half days until Santiago when it poured and I then decided to not walk further (this time!) It was crowded, but not uncomfortably so for me. I enjoyed the crowd. It was really beautiful weather and walking conditions. I am planning to return same time 2014, slightly different route though. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
April to June. I like to see spring arriving as I walk.

We started on April 9 in Pamplona. It was spring in that town and many flowers were in bloom. The fields in the Basque region were lush and green. We were a bit slow and were overtaken by quite a few hikers who had started from SJPP about the same time. Those hikers encountered snow between SJPP and Roncevalles. We never saw snow although it was sleeting and very windy and cold in O'Cebreiro. At the time of our hike, there was plenty of company, but the Camino wasn't very crowded until after Sarria, then occasionally an alberghe would be full.

The only drawback about our starting date was that you needed (at least some of the time this year) to have gloves and warm weather gear for the first three weeks or so. We made the mistake of donating a lot of our cold weather gear in Estella (see picture), then found we could have used it later, especially our cold weather beanies and gloves. Layering worked fine against the cold, but I didn't have layers for my lower body - I had just brought convertible hiking pants and hiking shorts. My sleeping bag was also a summer bag. So when I got home I bought a pair of tights. They can be used for layering if the weather is cold or for added warmth while sleeping at night. I brought these tights to France for our October hike on the Chemin du Puy along with my beanie and a pair of lightweight gloves. Weight gain minimal.

If we were to do the Camino Frances again, we IMG_0446.JPG would start about the same time.

Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome Ken, I hope to give you some insight as I walked the Camino this past Sept/Oct. I started Sept 3 from SJPdP and arrived in Santiago Oct 6. I walked 33 days with one rest day: 34 days total. I used the Brierley guide and followed the stages until Leon. I decided to pass through Leon and stay off stage at Le Virgin del Camino, by doing this I was able to avoid the main crowd for 4 or 5 days until getting back to the stages at Villafranca.

Accommodations: There were a lot of pilgrims throughout but I was always able to get a bed partly because I traveled solo and I started my day no later than 6:30am. This is the schedule I fell into and was comfortable with.

Weather: In the beginning we had clear blue skies, it was warm/hot during the day and cool in the morning/night. Morning of day 6 started out in the rain, but didn't last long. We had several days of cloud cover which made for a nice umbrella from the hot sun. Really good weather for the next 20 days sunny, warm/hot, some cold mornings. Day 26: I believe we are getting close to Galicia as there is wind and some rain, cooler weather. Nearing Santiago with clear blue skies for the next 7/8 days. Including clear blue skies for my trip to the sea. I was truly blessed with great weather, for me it was the best type of weather for taking a long walk.

Scenery: The mountains were green and the farm land still rich in color. The wheat fields had just been harvested so they were golden brown. It was all so breathtaking. There were low lying clouds running through the valleys and rays of sunshine kissing the sunflowers. It's so hard to describe what I can see clearly in my mind. You will have to see for yourself but until you do I've attached a few teasers for you. Enjoy!

No matter when you go, you'll go when the time is right and the Camino will provide.

Peace be with you and may the Lord guide your steps.

Attachments

• Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 184.JPG
    Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 184.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 124.JPG
    Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 124.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 154.JPG
    Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 154.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 196.JPG
    Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 196.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 574.JPG
    Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 574.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 443.JPG
    Santiago 2013 1st SIM Card 443.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ken, we walked from 20th April 2012, it was wet to start but improved as we went West. The way was quite at that time, some days we would only see a few other pilgrims. It did get busier after Sarria but not as bad as September this year. The landscape was beautiful, green and spring flowers everywhere. The temprature was cold to cool to start but I prefer walking in that as you don't get too hot.
I have no experience in walking the Camino in mid Summer. Hope this helps.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Like MendiWalker I am an expat who lives in Biarritz. I have walked in May/June and September/October and the weather at both times of year can be a mix of everything from sleet to cold rain and blazing hot days depending on where you find yourself on the trail. The crowds do tend to be thinner after mid-September.

In 2013 I walked from Porto to Santiago during July to avoid the crowds and confess I did that route because it is shorter and found it was a great journey due to the lack of fellow walkers. The weather was fantastic.

In 2014 I'm going back to face the crowds on the Camino Frances, my plan is to start on 5 June.

I can see the Pyrenees from my apartment and during the spring I periodically post anecdotal weather reports on this site. Last spring the snow fell up there until late May and started again several weeks ago in November.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am planning on making a camino this year and am having difficulty deciding on time frame. I have three options in mind early April to early June, mid May to mid July, or late August to early Oct. If anybody has travelled at these times recently I would appreciate your comments with regard to typical weather, traffic on the Camino Francis, length of your camino in days and anything else you may think useful to help me make up my mind. Thanks
Thanks to all who provided such useful information. I have decided to travel my first camino from late August until mid Oct. 2014. I have another question my wife wants to join up with me ( I am planning on walking the Camino Francis) she is unable to complete the entire 800km route but would like to meet me for the final 100kms or so. Can anybody recommend a meeting place for us? We are discussing the posibility of an intersecting route from the south to allow her time to experience a solo Camino for a while.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Ken C.,
If you want to meet her in Sarria, I stayed at the "Hotel Roma" across the street from the train station to meet my niece's overnight train from Madrid arriving at 7 AM. We had breakfast at my hotel, she washed up a little, I checked out and we walked that same day to Portomarin. It was great and relaxing for me the night before.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Good Morning all. I traveled The Francis in the fall of 2014 and want to go back to a Camino soon. My query relates to parish run albergues on other routes. I want the experience of the Francis with its communal meals ( where I can cook for all ) and small parish run albergues on another route. Part of me says go back and experience the Francis staying at different places and chosing different routes ( for example turn left not right out of Leon-ouch) . Anyway I am thinking the Porteguese route but am having a difficult time fiinding if there are parish run albergues along the "way" and in sufficient number to make my next Camino truly one to experience, instead of just hitting the replay button on the Francis, I wish to walk forward while always taking the time to look back. If anybody has any links or ideas I would be grateful.

Hi Ken, walked from the 18th of April till the 24th of May. I had a great time and it was not that busy. The weather was nice to but that can be different.
My wife walked the Camino Frances in September / early October in 2013. At that time it was not that busy to.
The decision is yours. :cool:
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

hi Ken. I walked the CP (from Porto) and I did not come across any parish run albergues.
Maybe it is a good idea to repost your question in the camino portuguese section of this forum. There are some people on this forum who have a lot of knowledge about the Portuguese camino's, and it is more likely they see your question if it is posted there.
Marc

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hi Ken. I walked the CP (from Porto) and I did not come across any parish run albergues.
Maybe it is a good idea to repost your question in the camino portuguese section of this forum. There are some people on this forum who have a lot of knowledge about the Portuguese camino's, and it is more likely they see your question if it is posted there.
Marc
Thanks Marc in fact I thought I had posted as you suggested but I guess I didn't . I'll try to repost. ken

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.