• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel during Covid

Vagabond Vieiras

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés and Norte many times all the way and in parts
Howdy Everyone!.. We made it to Spain!
So everyone knows what documents we have, I have an AMERICAN PASSPORT, NIE & PADRONAMIENTO, My wife and daughter are German citizens with GERMAN PASSPORTS.

For months we had been worried that after 3 previously airline cancelled flights we’d never get back to Spain. ( we had flights booked in June, July and August all of which were cancelled and refunded by the airlines. )

After being super worried and hearing varied accounts from other travelers trying to get to Spain, I decided to share my experience in hopes of easing the fears of others.

We purchased tickets thru a travel agent rather than online like we normally do. The tickets were LAX-CDG-BCN. Cost was $750 each round trip. We have return tickets for February 2021 but will probably push them out further... we want to stay here and finish our donativo in La Portela.

Anyway, so here’s how it went, in preparation we went online to the spanish health website, filled out the online form back in July and then again 48 hours before our flight. A few minutes after being completed, a QR code arrived by email. These need to be printed out and kept with you while you are in Spain. Here is the link... https://spth.gob.es/
At LAX the Air France crew required us to show that we reside in Spain and have our Spanish QR code’s prior to boarding. We showed our NIE, Padronamiento paperwork and were permitted to board.

On the flight we were required to fill out 2 separate forms asking where we were going, staying and various health questions. Overall, no big deal.
The flight was ok and most people were practicing social distancing and wearing masks.
Flight was not full, maybe 30% of seats filled.
When we arrived at CDG, we were asked again for passports and proof of residence in Europe and since traveling on to Spain, our QR code’s.

Arrival in Spain at BCN was super easy, we were just required to scan our QR code and that’s it...
As far as BCN, most people are wearing masks, public transport is a bit scary as it’s tight and some people aren’t really wearing masks or distancing.
That’s it... just figured I would share and hopefully this helps ease the tensión of other travelers!
Please feel free to email me any questions! Vagabondvieiras@yahoo.com

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is the most cogent account of traveling to Europe that I've read recently. Very illuminating. Thank you, Vagabond Vieiras, for sharing it. I hope your European stay is healthy and happy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you're setting out for France and Spain or any other countries with high cases of Covid rises check that your travel insurance WILL actually cover you during Covid times and restrictions. From UK it's not so easy to be insured for countries where travel is advised against by the FCO (Foreign and Commonwealth Office)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.