• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Santiago to Madrid

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2018
Hi, My partner is flying out to Santiago to meet me at the finish of my walk, this September. We would like to go to Madrid from there. A lady I've spoken with ( a pilgrim ) said there is a bus we can catch. Has anyone heard about this? Any help would be appreciated .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Took the train and paid 22 euros for a premium promoticket, 5 hours to Madrid Chamartin. If I should have bought the ticket when I had come to Santiago it would have been at least twice the price.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, My partner is flying out to Santiago to meet me at the finish of my walk, this September. We would like to go to Madrid from there. A lady I've spoken with ( a pilgrim ) said there is a bus we can catch. Has anyone heard about this? Any help would be appreciated .
I recently took the bus from Santiago to Madrid. It took 9 1/2 hours and cost less than €50

As noted there are lots of options. You can also get a cab to the airport for the early Ryanair flight. It’ll get you to Madrid airport in about an hour for about the same as bus fare. It’s €21 to the airport from SdC, and the taxi will be waiting at your door if you make an online pickup reservation, as mine was at 05:00.
Also, once you’re at the airport it’s a short ride by free bus to terminal T4 for the metro or cercanias ride into town.

Regards,
Paul

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We have taken both the bus and train from SDC to MAD on our return back home. We enjoyed both rides and both were very different in their own little ways. If you get the opportunity and subsequent Camino's, try each transportation option. Each carries it's own experiences-some good, some bad perhaps maybe. It's all part of the Camino to us and letting go.

Our Camino brothers and sisters above have provided some very excellent options for you.
Have an open mind and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.....

Buen Camino

I used the train in May it was 34 euros with one change, it was easy clean fast just over 4 hours, buffet car to drinks at good prices. When you reach Madrid your next train is free on the Madrid underground, you need to change your ticket
I did the same and found it super relaxing. I’d take a train over a bus any day.

Last week (June 14th 2018) my wife and I took a Ryanair flight from Santiago to Madrid for around 40 euro each, much quicker way to get to Madrid compared to trains or buses for about the same price, and you can take a bus from nearby the Santiago Cathedral (in Praza de Galicia) to the Santiago airport for 3 euro each person, it takes ~30 min and they run every 30 min:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Santiago+(Plaza+de+Galicia)/@42.8769565,-8.5450976,18z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0xd2efe44e2dd71a7:0xe0146888c087e311!2sSantiago+de+Compostela,+A+Coruña,+Spanien!3b1!8m2!3d42.8782132!4d-8.5448445!3m4!1s0xd2efe4735181d6d:0xa72e0c8fa50e3cb0!8m2!3d42.8763145!4d-8.5445892

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We have Iberia 9 Oct SCQ-MAD for 2 with Seats at $108. A 1 hour flight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The train for me too. It is a wonderful scenic journey (if the mist has risen0 and was easy to book ahead for cheap fares on the RENFE site. If you are spending time in Madrid and intend visiting the Prado then book online to save having to queue for your entrance tickets. Buen Camino!

Brilliant ! Thanks for all your help _/\_ Great links. We hadn't considered flights, as thought may be to expensive. Im drawn to the romance of the train though.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back