• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Barcelona

TKrene

Time of past OR future Camino
planned for Spring 2016
Can you rent a car and drive from Barcelona to St Jean? There will be 3 of us so we could split the cost. Thoughts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are cheaper options, especially as you would take the rental car over a border and to a relatively small town, a one way rental like this is expensive. Try alsa.es for bus and renfe.es for train. Buen Camino, SY
PS rome2rio.com does also a good job in showing you general travel options.

Hi TKrene,
My experience is just like SYates' -- one way car rentals from one country to another is likely to be very expensive. If your tickets aren't yet bought, you should check out flying into Madrid. Madrid to Pamplona is quicker than Barcelona to Pamplona, and then from Pamplona to SJPP will require bus or taxi.

check out this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...than-6-hours-be-in-bayonne.29858/#post-253734

Good luck with the planning. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the information. I had already read that it is easier to go out of Madrid but I am visiting a friend in Barcelona before I start the walk so starting point in Barcelona it is. Forgot that I would be crossing country border....doh! Okay I guess it is train to Pamplona and then bus to SJPP. Thanks agin.

Thanks for the information. I had already read that it is easier to go out of Madrid but I am visiting a friend in Barcelona before I start the walk so starting point in Barcelona it is. Forgot that I would be crossing country border....doh! Okay I guess it is train to Pamplona and then bus to SJPP. Thanks agin.
Hi, I took train from Barcelona Sants at 9.30 arrived in Pamplona around 1ish. Took taxi to bus station and bought ticket for Roncevalles. I noticed a bus for St Jean left a couple of hours before mine. No problems!

Sounds like a great plan. The bus from Pamplona to SJPP is seasonal, going only in higher traffic months. Whariwharangi has a great post with lots of information here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...to-roncesvalles-and-sjpdp-via-pamplona.23395/

Another option would be the pick up and drop off service that comes with lodging in Corazon Puro, which is discussed in many posts. They will pick you up in Pamplona, you spend the night in their pension, and the next day they drive you to SJPP. http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html
Forum members have been really happy with this option, though I've never used it myself. Very economical, IMO.

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Spanish Renfe trains are awesome, fast, and on time.

I heard that it's better to take the train from Barcelona to Bayonne in France and then another train to SJPP. That avoids differences in bus schedules and having to take 3 different types of transportation. Any thoughts on that?

I heard that it's better to take the train from Barcelona to Bayonne in France and then another train to SJPP. That avoids differences in bus schedules and having to take 3 different types of transportation. Any thoughts on that?

Hello, DJ King! Welcome to the forum! I wish you a pleasant and fruitful stay.

It depends on the schedule of the bus from Pamplona to SJPP on your travel date. If there's an afternoon departure from Pamplona to SJPP, the most straightforward option would be to take a bus from Barcelona to Pamplona in the morning and the afternoon bus from Pamplona to SJPP. But, as others already said, the bus from Pamplona to SJPP is seasonal and schedules may be known not a long time in advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Take Renfe train from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona. Then take CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP. CONDA bus is seasonal.

Or ALSA bus from Barcelona Estacio Nord to Pamplona via Zaragosa or ViBaSa (Monbus) from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona. ALSA runs more frequently.

Otherwise it takes approximately the same time (about 12 hours) going to Bayonne and SJPdP via either Irun or Toulouse and the deciding factor is schedule.

SNCF train from Barcelona Sants to Toulouse, Toulouse to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP. 3 trains.

Renfe train from Barcelona Sants to Irun/Hendaye. SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP. 3 or 4 trains (there may be a transfer at Zaragosa). Plus Donostealdea Metro from Irun Colon to Hendaia (3 km) if the Renfe train doesn't terminate at Hendaye.

Another alternative is to fly from Barcelona to San Sebastian. The airport is located 3 km from Irun Renfe Station.

I arrive into Barcelona on April 11th and am trying to book a train into Pamplona. When I go to the Renfe site and attempt to book; I get a message saying there is no connection or the train doesn't run that date. I have tried to change the date just to check with the same result. I am beginning to think that I should just get a ticket when I arrive.

How far is the train station from the airport. Thanks for any help....this is frustrating!

I arrive into Barcelona on April 11th and am trying to book a train into Pamplona. When I go to the Renfe site and attempt to book; I get a message saying there is no connection or the train doesn't run that date. I have tried to change the date just to check with the same result. I am beginning to think that I should just get a ticket when I arrive.

How far is the train station from the airport. Thanks for any help....this is frustrating!

To find a schedule go to Renfe page. Select timetable and prices at the center of the page *** See the picture of the clock ***. Then select Barcelona and Pamplona/Iru~na.

Note the bottom of the schedule page there is an International Sales Points link where there is information on where to buy your ticket.

There are several trains daily, so you could wait till you get to the station to purchase a ticket. However, there have been stories of trains being full; Renfe has been cutting the schedule to get fuller trains.

Take the Renfe Rodalies/Cercanias commuter train R2 from the Barcelona airport T2 to Barcelona Sants from whence you can take the train to Pamplona. The trip takes about 22 minutes.

Alternatively;

ALSA operates buses from Estacio Nord to Zaragosa and onward to Pamplona.

ViBaSa (Monbus) operates buses from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona.

Aena Barcelona Airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/ContentServer/Aeropuerto-Barcelona/en/Page/1045569607459/

Barcelona Cercanias
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/barcelona/index.html

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wharwharanga...may thanks for your prompt reply. I tried the link for Renfe that you provided with the same results. A reply which indicated: "This outward trip does not connect or is not available on the date selected." I have tried to change the dates with the same result. Must be something subtle I am missing. Thanks for the directions from airport to train station. I'll likely get the ticket on the day that I arrive.

Seems that I read on one of these forums that the site was not friendly for North American users. Seems odd but there you are. Thanks again

Wharwharanga...may thanks for your prompt reply. I tried the link for Renfe that you provided with the same results. A reply which indicated: "This outward trip does not connect or is not available on the date selected." I have tried to change the dates with the same result. Must be something subtle I am missing. Thanks for the directions from airport to train station. I'll likely get the ticket on the day that I arrive.

Seems that I read on one of these forums that the site was not friendly for North American users. Seems odd but there you are. Thanks again

I had trouble getting information yesterday. Today it is working ... albeit slowly. It can be a buggy website and the recent changes to it haven't helped. Try again. I am located NA as well. Lots of US people complain Renfe won't accept their credit card. If you are located in USA and prefer to have a reserved seat, try purchasing from Petrabax.

Its probably too early to purchase too. Try within one month of travel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Again thanks for the help Wharwharanga...I looked at the name and immediately thoug

Keyboard is acting up. Thought you might be an Aussie with that name. I am Canadian. Thanks again. Getting excited. Emailed Orisson and Corazon Pura and am awaiting replies

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back