• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Brisbane to St Jean Pied de Port

Patterle

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2013
G'day,
I am planning to walk the Camino from SJPdP in September 2013. It has been a recent decision so I am just now in the process of planning, following considerable reading of available material, including posts.

Can any Queensland pilgrims suggest the best travel approach to get me from Brisbane to SJPdP in late August or early September? Also, what is the best approach to returning home from Santiago at the end of the Camino?

I am based in Mount Isa in Outback Queensland & will get to Brisbane by Qantas. I am 69, overweight & unfit -- but that will change over the next 6 months (the weight & fitness level, that is!)

Look forward to hearing from you.
Blessings,
Terry

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Terry
Good on you!
I am on Gold Coast and at short notice will do short Camino April22- 10 May. I am also overweight and unfit but am now driven by this window of opportunity.

I will fly from Gold Coast to Singapore via Scoot ( flyscoot.com ) they are a branch of Singapore Air and are excellent then the Airfrance direct to Paris. Train to Bayonne and St Jean. I will leave the Camino at Burgos probably then bus to Madrid -> Paris then home the same way. This cost is about $1500.

You could fly/bus/ train from Santiago to Madrid and then home (search Santiago to Madrid in this forum). If booking yourself use the multiple destinations option in booking field. However for you it may be cheapest to book directly with Qantas or an agent all the way through from the Isa.
Good luck

I went the same way and can recommend it; Paris, Bayonne, St Jean. Don't know how much time you have for a look around, but I caught a fast train from Santiago to Barcelona. It is a beautiful vibrant city and I stayed there a couple of nights then caught the overnight train directly to Paris. Flew out the same morning as I've already explored Paris and was eager to get home. Best of luck, Grant.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Terry,

there is no "best" way.

Getting there

I would focus firstly on how you want to get to Europe and what your budget for that is. There is no point saying that one website is better than another or one airline is cheaper than another because there are different specials all the time. So work out what you budget is, search around regularly and get the flights that match with what you want.

If you are starting from St Jean the two most obvious European points of entry are Paris and London if you are flying from Australia. You then have the following connection options:
a. Fly to Paris, Train to Bordeaux, Train to Bayonne, Train/Bus to St Jean,
b. Fly to Paris, Fly to Biarritz (next to Bayonne), Train/Bus to St Jean,
c. Fly to London, Fly to Biarritz, Train/Bus to St Jean

There are other options of travelling from London to ports in Bilbao, San Sebastian, Irun, Pamplona by boat or aircraft however will require additional connections and from the past research I did more time and cost (which is fine if you don't mind).

There may be different airline options that travel to Barcelona or Madrid. From there you can easily take a train to Pamplona or San Sebastian and connection from there. But again more time and cost.

From what I can tell from reading a lot of the previous discussions on the same topic, most people fly in to Paris and train to Bayonne.

If you prefer to fly you can go to the Biarritz airport website and see who flies to there. Check here http://admin.biarritz.aeroport.fr/images/guidehoraire.pdf

Use the list of airlines on that .pdf and go to their websites to work out who is flying at the times and departure points and for the class of travel and price that suits you. You can use websites that search multiple airlines (eg bestflights and skyscanner etc) but these often omit specials that are only available on the airlines' own websites, so I would only use them in addition to going to the airlines own sites. You will likely get the best value for money if you are willing to transit from the main airports (ie Charles De Gaulle - CDG and Heathrow - LHR) to the second tier airports (eg Orly - ORY and Stansted - STN) to get onto the budget airlines like easyjet and ryanair (assuming you want to use them).

Getting home

As far as leaving to get home, you can check around but would likely be just as easy to fly back out via Paris or London. You can train for fly from Santiago (SCQ) to Madrid (MAD) or Barcelona (BCN) and connect easily to Paris or London from there.

You can see which airlines operate out of which airport by clicking on these links:
1. Santiago (SCQ): http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee.../en/Page/1048690016843//List-of-airlines.html
2. Madrid (MAD): http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee.../en/Page/1049727006273//List-of-airlines.html
3. Barcelona (BCN): http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee.../en/Page/1045569607375//List-of-airlines.html

So in summary the market for airline tickets is always changing and you need to be prepared to do some research to work out what travel path you want to take and what is the optimal value for money for you.

Final advice: if you see a good deal get it because they don't last for long. There may be slightly better deals that come up later, but at least you're organised and don't risk paying even more.

Good Luck,

Cheers,

Jason

Thank you all for the information & advice.
You have given me clarity about the travel options.
I am very grateful.
Terry

Hi Terry,
Plenty of advice and all good.
As Jason said there is no best way. Keep looking on the net or speak to a local travel agent who can advise on specials airlines are running.
FYI I flew China Southern Airlines Brisbane/Paris return with a stopover in Guangzhou both ways.
Good flights and service and return airfare was $1100. Got this by speaking to my local Flight Centre.
From Charles de Gaulle airport I took the train to Bayonne and then the local train to SJPP.
Went back to Santiago after walking to Finisterre and bused back to Paris for E100. 24 hour trip but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Buen camino
Llew

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Terry - i did the Camino Frances in August - Oct 2012 from SJPP - Finisterre.Travelled Brisbane to Madrid - Madrid to San Sebastian(plane) - San Sebastian to Bayonne/Bayonne to SJPP (train) - was kind of interesting going that route but wouldn't do it again.In hindsight would try Brisbane - Paris - then Paris/Bayonne/SJPP (train) or Brisbane - London - then London/Bayonne(Ryan air ?)/SJPP(train).Try to break the trip up - you can sleep at Singapore airport at the Transit hotel very cheaply.I stayed at the "Spirit of the Way" alburgue in SJPP and again in Orisson the next day to get over the 'lag' - worth it.Have a good one mate - kiwiDavid

Hi Terry,

Have you booked yet? We flew from Brisbane to London, then to Biarritz with Ryan Air, then train to SJPdP in Sept. 2009. Worked well except that you'll fly into Heathrow but have to get to Stansted (train) for Ryan Air. Good luck and don't worry about being overweigh and unfit - you'll be in tip top condition by the time you get to SdC!

Buen Camino, Jacki.

Terry,
Brissie to London then Ryan Air to Biarritz
Brissie to Paris and then Air France to Biarritz without changing airports

You should arrive in Paris early and have plenty of time for transfer.
The plane fare would cover any accommodation costs and you have a good day and half in St.J before Hounto , lovely place.
Will need it as the lag will catch up.

Start like and old man and finish as a young one we were told when starting in Le Puy by an old Italian who had started in Mt Blanc

Have a great trip
David

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks again to all you wonderful people who provided such great advice.
The excitement is catching!
best wishes to all
Terry

Me too!!! I am leaving Brisbane late Sept- via singapore to Paris- spend a few days there and then train to Bayonne then to St Jean- hope to start from there about 19th or 20th.

I have 8 weeks from work - plan to be home for the last week- If I find I am going to slow- I may decide to train a section - still looking at where to fly home from- Barcelona or Paris.

I am late 50s - will lose 8 kilos before going and get some training in.

Still in process of planning and will read replies to this post thoroughly

Cheers
Annie

If anyone is in brisbane and after 10 km walk/ train after work - so from 6pm to 8pm sned me a PM and may be we can organize

Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The bus from Heathrow to Stansted (London)
Note the site says allow minimum 5 hours between flights
It cost about 25 pounds ... expensive ... but cheaper than the train.
http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/hea ... ansfer.htm

Ryan Air flies from Stansted to Biarritz - the closest airport to SJPdP
http://www.ryanair.com/en
Easy Jet flies from Gatwick to Biarritz but only from June to October
http://www.easyjet.com/en

I took a hotel near Stansted after the long trip from Vancouver.
I should have taken one in Bayonne too .. I got to SJPdP quite late and Jet lag was a real issue.

I think over the years we have found that flying from Australia to Biarritz is best via Paris.
You land early and have tho opportunity for about $100 A with Easy Jet to be on the noon flight from Orly.
Only one hour train from CDG to Orly once through customs.
By 1.30 pm you have landed and the train to St.JPD is not long coming.

* If you land early afternoon there is a flight from CDG @ 5.30pm to Biarritz.
Stay there the night [ beautiful city] and early train to ST. JPD

** If not starting in France [ St.JPDP ] fly to Madrid and get bus to Pamplona and or Ronscesvalles.

Hola Thornley,
Thornley said:
Only one hour train from CDG to Orly once through customs.
* If you land early afternoon there is a flight from CDG @ 5.30pm to Biarritz.
Stay there the night [ beautiful city] and early train to ST. JPD
Last time we transferred from CDG to Orly we took the Air France Shuttle, which works fine. Didn't realize you could get the train, do you think it's a better option?
Also, we overnighted at Bayonne, which I enjoyed, but would like to possibly see Biarritz next time, do you have to transfer to Bayonne to get the train to SJPP or is it the same train.
Colin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You are in a good spot Colin, had a holiday home at Wallaga Lake many years ago.
No the Blue Line is really quick.
Once out of customs you will be gone within 10 minutes and the train is direct to Anthony which in effect is CDG.
Biarritz Col, think Carly Simon ....and that song about Warren Beatty....we adore it and living where you do the blue and white beach clothing for the wife to buy will stun and the prices are great.
We love the place...lovely people the Basque.
The Biarritz train will go to Bayonne where you change for St.J but you have to change before connection , therefore not the same train.
We fell in love with Biarritz after walking from Le Puy.
Finished where we started our previous camino in St.J and then had a weeks rest in Biarritz.
Did not need Paris as there are some beautiful suburban areas to exist in away from the tourists.
Seafood.....
Keep well and Buen Camino ,
David

G'day,
I am planning to walk the Camino from SJPdP in September 2013. It has been a recent decision so I am just now in the process of planning, following considerable reading of available material, including posts.

Can any Queensland pilgrims suggest the best travel approach to get me from Brisbane to SJPdP in late August or early September? Also, what is the best approach to returning home from Santiago at the end of the Camino?

I am based in Mount Isa in Outback Queensland & will get to Brisbane by Qantas. I am 69, overweight & unfit -- but that will change over the next 6 months (the weight & fitness level, that is!)

Blessings,
Terry
Hi Terry,

Did you walk the Camino? I am planning it for September 2014 and will travel from Hervey Bay to Brisbane so would be interested in how your travel arrangements went, plus how you fared on the Camino. My husband had major spinal reconstruction surgery in Wesley Brisb in September so he is hoping after a years rehab he will be able to walk some of the way with me. If not he will bus/train/taxi some of the stages.
We are both 65. Any info would be great. I am more worried about the logistics of actually getting to SJPP than the camino walk. Sonia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am more worried about the logistics of actually getting to SJPP than the camino walk.
Hi Sonia,
From Australia the cheapest option is often to fly in and out of Paris, then train or cheap flight to Biarritz/Bayonne where you catch the rail to SJPP.
The return to Paris is sometimes a bit trickier than getting to SJPP, unless you get a cheap flight from SDC, otherwise a very long train ride .
In the past we have also flown in Paris out of Barcelona (mainly because we like the city), you can train to Madrid then High speed train to Barcelona (or fly from SDC), still train but not so long.
Another option, is to find a flight into Paris out of Madrid, then just train down to Madrid from SDC.
So, there are a few options, price dependant of course.
Buen Camino
Colin

Hi Terry,

Did you walk the Camino? I am planning it for September 2014 and will travel from Hervey Bay to Brisbane so would be interested in how your travel arrangements went, plus how you fared on the Camino. My husband had major spinal reconstruction surgery in Wesley Brisb in September so he is hoping after a years rehab he will be able to walk some of the way with me. If not he will bus/train/taxi some of the stages.
We are both 65. Any info would be great. I am more worried about the logistics of actually getting to SJPP than the camino walk. Sonia

We too are travelling early Sept 2014 and plan to walk from SJPDP. Any help with airfare ideas would be great. We have been looking at fares to Barcelona, Paris so far. We are late 50's early 60's.

We too are travelling early Sept 2014 and plan to walk from SJPDP. Any help with airfare ideas would be great. We have been looking at fares to Barcelona, Paris so far. We are late 50's early 60's.
I fly from Melbourne to Paris and catch the fast train to Bayonne I fly Maylasia airlines it has short stopovers and the airline is good flew same way last year. I fly out the 2nd Sept cost 1600 return

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Trevor
I fly from Melbourne to Paris and catch the fast train to Bayonne I fly Maylasia airlines it has short stopovers and the airline is good flew same way last year. I fly out the 2nd Sept cost 1600 return
We too are looking at flying out 2nd Sept from Bne. Yesterday I found good fares to Amsterdam from Bne (with KLM ) Will keep looking.
Cheers

Thanks Trevor

We too are looking at flying out 2nd Sept from Bne. Yesterday I found good fares to Amsterdam from Bne (with KLM ) Will keep looking.
Cheers

Thalys operates trains from Amsterdam to Paris Gare du Nord.

https://www.thalys.com

From Paris its SNCF train from Paris Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP.

This time I'm leaving St Jean 12th Sep.
I'm from Brisbane and took advice to consider getting a cheap return fare, $400 (Scoot), to Singapore from the Gold Coast. To use Singapore as a hub because of the much more extensive range of airlines and fares.

I wanted to go into Amsterdam, stay a few days, train to Paris, stay a few days, train to Biarritz, stay a few days then get the little train from Bayonne to St Jean. (I should say that the pre Camino time is as important to me as the Camino itself.)
I don't want to go back to Amsterdam from Santiago so looked for a return flight out of Madrid as I have never been there.

Got flights with Finnair out of Singapore, via Helsinki, that suited all my requirements, into Amsterdam and out of Madrid.
All up cost, Scoot & Finnair, A$1500.
I'm a happy chappy.
To confirm using SPore as a hub I must say I have since had confirmed, just for fun, return flights from Singapore to Spain, for $867.

Regds
Gerard

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
G'day,

Blessings,
Terry
I have heard that you can fly into Toulouse and then train to SJPdP, however, the Rail Europe web site says that the train only goes to Cambo Les Bains. Is this correct.
Trevor

I have heard that you can fly into Toulouse and then train to SJPdP, however, the Rail Europe web site says that the train only goes to Cambo Les Bains. Is this correct.
Trevor

The tracks between Cambo les Bains and SJPdP are washed out since March. Service from Cambo les Bains is provided by SNCF operated bus. There is 10 minutes transfer time at Cambo les Bains.

Schedule is here, note the schedule is only valid till 24 August 2014:
http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Aquitaine/Tridion/62-AFFICHE-2014_06_juil_tcm-11-89963.pdf

This schedule is good from 25 August to 13 December 2014:
http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/...2014_25_aout_13_dec_01_07_14_tcm-11-42307.pdf

The schedule is changing often ... so check again closer to dates of travel.

TER Aquitaine. Use drop down list for 'Ma Ligne' and select TER 62 by clicking 'valider'
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/aqu...Avant_mon_voyage/Fiches_horaires/Default.aspx

Hi Sonia,
From Australia the cheapest option is often to fly in and out of Paris, then train or cheap flight to Biarritz/Bayonne where you catch the rail to SJPP.

Colin

Not necessary - you can fly into Paris and leave from Madrid or just fly in and out of Madrid or Barcelona. I use Skyscanner to find the cheapest tickets, but also look at BestFlights. We now always have a stop-over in both directions; the flight is just too long otherwise. Usually we decide where we want the stop-overs, trying for new ones each time, and that often determines the airline.

If I was going to Toulouse I would start there and follow the route from Arles, instead of starting in SJPDP.

This time I'm leaving St Jean 12th Sep.
I'm from Brisbane and took advice to consider getting a cheap return fare, $400 (Scoot), to Singapore from the Gold Coast. To use Singapore as a hub because of the much more extensive range of airlines and fares.

I wanted to go into Amsterdam, stay a few days, train to Paris, stay a few days, train to Biarritz, stay a few days then get the little train from Bayonne to St Jean. (I should say that the pre Camino time is as important to me as the Camino itself.)
I don't want to go back to Amsterdam from Santiago so looked for a return flight out of Madrid as I have never been there.

Got flights with Finnair out of Singapore, via Helsinki, that suited all my requirements, into Amsterdam and out of Madrid.
All up cost, Scoot & Finnair, A$1500.
I'm a happy chappy.
To confirm using SPore as a hub I must say I have since had confirmed, just for fun, return flights from Singapore to Spain, for $867.

Regds
Gerard
Thanks Gerard,
We have just booked with Southern China Airlines to Paris for Sept 2nd. (around 2K each). We will take at least 2 days in France before going to SJPDP to start on 5th or 6th Sept.
Cheers
Nigel

G'day,

Blessings,
Terry

G'day Terry,

As you're 69 (like me) you are no doubt retired and have a bit of time on your hands, so here's one from left field.

I did the conventional thing, flew to Paris via Singapore (Singapore Airlines) caught the TGV on the Hendaye line to Bayonne and bussed it to St Jean Pied de Port (the train wasn't running, I think due to landslides). Unfortunately I didn't really quite work out the other options available until I did a bit of a recce of Spain after my Camino.

If I did it again I would fly into London, and visit some English friends. I would go to Portsmouth and catch the ferry to Bilbao and visit the Guggenheim Museum. I would then catch the local train to San Sebastian (Euskotren service), or bus it, and spend a few days there exploring this fabulous and classy Spanish city. From there, it's a local train trip to Hendaye (Euskotren again) and a short trip either by TGV or bus to Bayonne.

There's another gem awaiting after your Camino. I walked on to Muxia. My Camino was a bit of a slog as I had to meet my wife and sister-in-law on 5 April, and I left St J on 28 February. I didn't mind not spending much time in cities as my bent on the walk was more with the peace and tranquillity of the countryside, and pre-dawn to dawn across the glorious Meseta was a truly spiritual experience, as was the love and companionship of the very few pilgrims I met on my winter walk. We had arranged to meet in A Coruna, a place I had never heard of, but another gorgeous northern Spanish city. I ended up with four days to explore it before they arrived, but only towards the end of my Camino did I realise I wouldn't be late getting there, and that I would have time on my hands. A Coruna is an early morning bus ride from Muxia.

As a tip, and you have a bit of time, try to learn some Spanish. Throughout Spain we found very few people who spoke any English at all. It's their country, and they are the most gracious and hospitable people. My halting Spanish opened a lot of doors.

De colores

Bogong (aka John)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
?..but also look at BestFlights....
Sad to say Bestflights has been taken over by Hello World, it used to be a great resource, unfortunately not so any more.
Colin

Sad to say Bestflights has been taken over by Hello World, it used to be a great resource, unfortunately not so any more.
Colin

Really? How sad. Just goes to show I've not been looking for tickets recently.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back