• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Travel from Canada to Porto

Lannea

Time of past OR future Camino
I have done the CF in 2022. I am coming back to do Porto to Santiago with my 14 year old grandson in May 2024 and can hardly wait. Travelling from Canada. Am thinking flying through Lisbon round trip and training from there makes sense. For Canadians who went to Porto what route did you fly? Thank you. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
you can catch direct flights to Porto out of Newark, fwiw

You can easily get to Porto from any of the main hubs in Europe such as London, Amsterdam, Madrid, etc. Alternatively, it may be more cost and time efficient to fly into Porto and return home from Santiago. If you’re not doing the Camino for another year, you have plenty of time to research all the options.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can easily get to Porto from any of the main hubs in Europe such as London, Amsterdam, Madrid, etc. Alternatively, it may be more cost and time efficient to fly into Porto and return home from Santiago. If you’re not doing the Camino for another year, you have plenty of time to research all the options.
Yes I know I have lots of time to research. I am excited and just wanting to start the research by asking the question. Thanks!

I flew Toronto - Lisbon - Porto. Coming home I flew Madrid - Toronto because I took a side trip to Madrid afterwards. I figured I was all the way over in Spain, I might as well see some other parts of the country while I was there.

We flew from Montreal (YUL) to Porto via Brussels. As I remember, we took an evening flight, had about a two hour layover in Brussels and then arrived in Porto by noon. We have also flown from Montreal to Madrid and then transferred to a flight to Porto. So, I think you should have a couple of options.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I flew Toronto - Lisbon - Porto. Coming home I flew Madrid - Toronto because I took a side trip to Madrid afterwards. I figured I was all the way over in Spain, I might as well see some other parts of the country while I was there.
Good point. Thanks.

I fly out of Montreal and usually use Air Transat. It is my sense that their prices are a bit lower than Air Canada or Air France. They fly directly to Porto from Montreal. You can also buy a multi-city ticket without additional cost enabling you to fly into Porto and to return from Madrid (or another city).

They also fly from other Cdn cities (Toronto and Vancouver).

I'd also recommend signing up for emails from the carriers you might possible use. Then you will receive their promotions, most of which offer sale prices on tickets.

Good luck from south of the border.

I fly out of Montreal and usually use Air Transat. It is my sense that their prices are a bit lower than Air Canada or Air France. They fly directly to Porto from Montreal. You can also buy a multi-city ticket without additional cost enabling you to fly into Porto and to return from Madrid (or another city).

I'd also recommend signing up for emails from the carriers you might possible use. Then you will receive their promotions, most of which offer sale prices on tickets.

Good luck from south of the border.
Thank you so much!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have done the CF in 2022. I am coming back to do Porto to Santiago with my 14 year old grandson in May 2024 and can hardly wait. Travelling from Canada. Am thinking flying through Lisbon round trip and training from there makes sense. For Canadians who went to Porto what route did you fly? Thank you. Buen Camino!
I flew from Toronto to Lisbon and took the train from there to Porto. I flew back from Lisbon and spent a couple of days each in Porto and Lisbon after my Camino before my flight home. (I really like to give myself a cushion for my Caminos in case things don't go as planned.)

I do know several other pilgrims from Toronto who flew to Porto, though, for their Caminos.

Last edited:
I flew from Toronto to Lisbon and took the train from there to Porto. I flew back from Lisbon and spent a couple of days each in Porto and Lisbon after my Camino before my flight home. (I really like to give myself a cushion for my Caminos in case thongs don't go as planned.)

I do know several other pilgrims from Toronto who flew to Porto, though, for their Caminos.
Thanks!

Round trip to Porto would be best IMO, if you can get it at a good price. You avoid a day of travel, and it's much easier to return to Porto from Santiago than to go to Lisbon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You are going to have a long day! They’re going to funnel you through Toronto most likely.

Victoria-Vancouver-Toronto- and whatever destination you choose.

I gave myself at least 2 days in Porto before I started to walk for a number of reasons. Mainly a buffer in case of flight delays. But I also wanted some time to get over jet lag and see the city too.

You are going to have a long day! They’re going to funnel you through Toronto most likely.

Victoria-Vancouver-Toronto- and whatever destination you choose.

I gave myself at least 2 days in Porto before I started to walk for a number of reasons. Mainly a buffer in case of flight delays. But I also wanted some time to get over jet lag and see the city too.
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not sure what your departure point is. I flew Air Transat direct from YYZ (Toronto) into Lisbon then train to Porto. Can get flights through Montreal as well.

a lot of flights have a stop over in Madrid - so you might build a side trip around that. Could city hop by train to or from your destination. I found less expensive international flights from the U. S. to Ireland - so flew there and enjoyed a side trip - then an inexpensive Ryan Air flight to Portugal.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,
I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I flew to London on air Canada then flew London to Porto.
From Victoria, most likely air Canada to UK or Portugal.
Does Air transat go to Portugal from Vancouver? Let us know what you find! Have a great trip!

Ah, routes to the second largest city in a country from the second largest city in a province, often slightly less straight forward. I'm 3,000 km north of you so I've already flown to legs of Air North to get to either Vancouver or Victoria. But here's what's worked for me:
Air Transat often has some good prices. You could fly Victoria to Montreal, Montreal - Porto.
Air Canada/Lufthansa also has a direct flight from Vancouver to London. It's always great to get all the way from the west coast to Europe. You avoid that major stop in Montreal or Toronto.
There is a direct flight from Victoria to Toronto as well with Air Canada, which I like because you miss the Vancouver stop. From Toronto you can fly to Lisbon and then train or fly. But there's a lesser known option that I've taken from Toronto with SATA (Azores) Airlines. Toronto YYZ to Ponta Delgado PDL to Porto OPO, and it's reasonably priced. If you like you can also stop in the beautiful Azores for a couple of days for no extra flight costs.
Enjoy!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are going at the end of August flying Toronto-Lisbon and then taking the train to Porto.

Coming from Vancouver on the North American west coast, and travelling to Portugal quite regularly, we've settled on using Air Transat through Montreal almost exclusively.

1/ it breaks the flight almost in half (Vancouver>Montreal about 5 hours; a 1 1/2 hour layover in Montreal; Montreal>Lisbon about 6 1/2- 7 hours.)

2/ Montreal is a much pleasanter, smaller, and easier-to-navigate airport than Toronto, the other major hub from Canada to Portugal.

This time, we have arrived via Lisbon and will fly back from Porto, just for a change...since we're about 1 hour by train from Lisbon and 2 hours from Porto. Air Transat rates, as mentioned above, seem to be the same for an open-jawed flight like this.

Their service is good; their seat spacing is not bad, for an economy flight. They seem very reasonable to deal with.

I should add that this time, for the first time in many years, we used a real-live travel agent rather than doing the online booking ourselves. From my invoice, it seems to have cost me $20 Canadian on top of the plane fare for this service. I think well worthwhile! All the airlines are very difficult to reach right now, for flight changes, etc. I'm going to leave that to someone else, if it has to be done.

Bom caminho!

Going there we flew Air Canada - Frankfurt-Porto. Coming back we took the bus back to Porto and flew home from there. I only use Air Canada for my International flights as I find them the most reliable.
My sister just flew Calgary-Paris-Porto with Westjet connections which were cheaper but had longer wait overs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know you've had lots of recommendations by this point. But I'll share my route as I'm going from western Canada too. In 2019 I flew Edmonton - Montreal - Porto and back the same route.

We had one day in Porto before starting. At the end of the Camino we we cutting it short, arriving in SDC the afternoon before our morning flight. We took a train back to Porto (shudders from the memory of a transportation strike leading to a train-bus-train-localtrain situation) arriving in the airport 12am the day of our flight. I was sure happy to have my sleeping bag in my carry on, one of my more comfortable sleeps on an airport floor.

I am flying from Calgary to London on April 1st, 2024 Just booked my flight on westjet for 311.00 Canadian $ and from London to Porto for 29.00 Euro

Back